• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Quarterback Scouting Report: Adrian Martinez

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Adrian Martinez 6"2 220 lb

Operates out of shotgun, up-tempo, run-heavy where quarterback has to make decisions i.e. read-option, reading the defensive end, option, and quick-pass i.e. swing and simple outs but also some drop-back where quarterback goes through progressions and throws downfield, checks it down, or scrambles

Footage watched: (vs Colorado 9/8, at Northwestern 10/13, at Iowa 11/23)

Vs Colorado (9/8)

Strengths: Running speed i.e. designed qb draw through a hole. Ability to bounce off tacklers for extra yards. Juking defenders (avoiding sacks and open field) and breaking tackles. Simple outs. Poise on third and long--patience to find open receiver. Intermediate passing to the middle of the field while staying in the pocket. Decision making and execution on options and qb keepers. Throwing on the run (to weak side no less) ability to change usual arm motion to deliver pass (2/2 on sidearms while running to left). Threw an absolute dime on a deep pass.

Weaknesses: Ball security (hanging onto the ball while running) Could sometimes be more accurate on simple out throws

Summary: Dangerous in many ways as a runner (scrambler, options, qb draws), capacity to throw a nice deep ball but was rare, comfortable and poised in the pocket including third-down situations, accurate intermediate and middle passes, sometimes careless with accuracy throwing to outs, ability to throw on the run both to his left and his right (less accurate), even changing his arm motion, needs to be more careful with the ball while running

at Northwestern (10/13)

Strengths: Anticipating receiver and timing on intermediate middle routes, decision-making on keeper and option--great at reading defensive end, great burst of speed that gives him momentum heading into a tackle for extra yards, stands poised in pocket, curl routes outside--places ball low where only receiver can get it, ability to sidestep defender, keep eyes downfield, and throw to open man while running to left side, quick release, high football iq i.e. pump faking to move defenders backward then checking it down, sees entire field and goes through progressions and doesn't force passes into coverage (when he does throw into heavy coverage its not in a place where defensive backs can get to it) but rather checks it down--high football IQ, elusive even running straight up the middle, beautiful throw intermediate middle--using height of receiver well, ability to escape pressure, quick release to underneath routes near sidelines i.e. curls

Weaknesses: Like vs Colorado: could be more accurate on simple throws to flats, overshot a couple deep throws (one on sideline, one over middle), overran a blocker on run to the edge, bailed out of pocket instead of stepping up and waiting for open receiver like he did vs Colorado, ball security, seems to be somehow very much more accurate when throwing while running to left. Like vs Colorado he underthrew receiver while running to his right. interception on pass that he telegraphed downfield, never looked away from receiver thus failing to read the safety let alone use his eyes to move the safety--like with fumble, he's costing his team points with very avoidable turnovers, missed receiver in end zone (occasionally frustrating)

Summary:

Most comfortable as a runner, throwing quick swing passes, and delivering to intermediate routes in or across middle of the field, he can go through his progressions, sees the field well, and can anticipate where receiver is going. He has a high football IQ which is evident in his decision-making while reading defensive end or not forcing passes, he seems to be more comfortable throwing to the left side, his accuracy throwing to the flats should be better, his deep ball accuracy wasn't good like it was against Colorado but, again, he rarely went deep (maybe for good reason)

at Iowa (11/23)

Strengths: Quick release, looks downfield then immediately finds check-down across the middle, like vs NW: curl routes near sideline, burst through running lanes, decision on keepers, eludes defenders while keeping eyes downfield, accuracy throwing while running to left, poise while standing in pocket (doesn't bail), breaks free from defender to avoid sack, ability to move in the pocket and throw accurate pass in coverage while running to left, beautiful dime on intermediate pass near left sideline--showing improved accuracy downfield because that same pass was out of bounds earlier in the year, steps up in pocket, poise on third downs, using blockers while running to edges and while running downfield (also improved over earlier in season), creates running room for himself with pump fake (high football IQ), beautiful dime to receiver in stride down left sideline--great timing, like throughout season timing on intermediate middle crossing routes, extending play with his legs and finding open receiver in back of endzone

Weaknesses: needs to be more accurate throwing while running to right, overthrew receiver after pressure forced him to stand up in pocket (twice), occasionally stands too long in the pocket and sometimes doesn't seem to feel pressure well off the edges, telegraphed pass on INT like vs NW allowing himself/his eyes to easily be read by defensive back although other options were available to throw to--sometimes has his mind set on a receiver and he locks onto him

Summary: Great pocket presence, keeping eyes downfield but sometimes forgetting to look away safety and other defenders. Most comfortable throwing intermediate and either across the middle or towards sidelines (curl or wheel route), most comfortable throwing while running to left as opposed to right side, smarter as runner in that he uses blockers, can stand too long in the pocket, reacts to pressure well thanks to elusiveness but doesn't feel it come off the edges, low IQ tendency to occasionally lock on receiver so that defensive back can read his eyes

Overall Summary:

Dual-threat. Elusive in avoiding pressure, able to move around pocket, stand tall and poised in pocket while keeping eyes downfield, he isn't as accurate when he steps up (tends to overthrow receiver) or when he runs to his right, but he's excellent at running towards his left, even alternating his delivery in order to deliver an accurate pass, most comfortable throwing outs with his quick release, screens and otherwise in the flats, places ball well on curl routes, not quite as good with slants, which were rare, deep ball could be beautiful and could be inaccurate, but he didn't attempt many. Solid throwing intermediate middle and crossing routes across intermediate middle, sees the field well, goes through progressions, although he throws INT's when he locks on first/pre-snap read and gets read by defender which he doesn't look off, he is able to look off defender, showing high football IQ when he pump fakes to create more room for himself or for a check-down. Also costs his team with fumbles and other acts of carelessness. Became smarter as runner, using blockers. Has nice burst of speed, running through lanes.

Season stats: 223/347 (64.6%) 2,617 yards (7.5 YPA) 17 TD 8 INT, 140 rush 629 yards (4.5 YPC) 8 touchdown

Looking at AM made me regret hyping up Lewerke so much haha. AM is more of a playmaker both throwing (downfield and on the run) and running, more consistently accurate, higher football IQ, better decisions...and that's with the freshman mistakes or shortcomings like locking onto a receiver and very occasionally responding poorly (or not at all) to pressure.

Looking at AM made me regret hyping up Lewerke so much haha. AM is more of a playmaker both throwing (downfield and on the run) and running, more consistently accurate, higher football IQ, better decisions...and that's with the freshman mistakes or shortcomings like locking onto a receiver and very occasionally responding poorly (or not at all) to pressure.
POTY candidate

Excellent post VCR, I agree entirely with what you highlighted as his strengths and his weaknesses. One thing to keep in mind on AM. He missed his entire sr year of high school. I think his consistency will only improve as he gets more experience. He'll start to feel the pressure better and I dont think fumbles will continue to be an issue as he's built very well. Kid is unbelievably special. Has the potential to be our best QB ever and I dont say that lightly.

I got him #2 in big ten behind Fields personally. Mostly because I think McCaffrey will be getting a lot of snaps at UM. Hunter Johnson will be good too.

This will basically be Fields freshman year. I know I'm biased, but I can't put a mostly unknown over AM.

Yes. However he and Lawrence were neck and neck in the 2017 cycle for best qb in last 8 cycles for qbs. That's crazy. Personally just thinking he is going to be very very good, but could be wrong.

Justin Herbert is a proven case. It was a disaster when he was injured two years ago. Oregon had nobody who could throw the ball longer than five yards. Taggart pretended every week like he had a realistic chance of playing

I got him #2 in big ten behind Fields personally. Mostly because I think McCaffrey will be getting a lot of snaps at UM. Hunter Johnson will be good too.

I was impressed by how well DMC came in and moved the offense against Notre Dame.

Mertz will be good at Wisconsin but think he's gonna need a year or two. No idea who is starting there tbh.

A healthy Lewerke is top 4 imo.

Like Michigan he gets the benefit of a great receiving crew. Less ability at the top but more depth

Last edited:
Yes. However he and Lawrence were neck and neck in the 2017 cycle for best qb in last 8 cycles for qbs. That's crazy. Personally just thinking he is going to be very very good, but could be wrong.

I'm not ruling it out. Still think we see some rookie mistakes. Adrian made one against Ohio St. that probably cost us the game.

I'm not ruling it out. Still think we see some rookie mistakes. Adrian made one against Ohio St. that probably cost us the game.

Seems like every qb they have in that system is good. SHould be exciting year for the good qbs in conference. Last year was weak.

Excellent post VCR, I agree entirely with what you highlighted as his strengths and his weaknesses. One thing to keep in mind on AM. He missed his entire sr year of high school. I think his consistency will only improve as he gets more experience. He'll start to feel the pressure better and I dont think fumbles will continue to be an issue as he's built very well. Kid is unbelievably special. Has the potential to be our best QB ever and I dont say that lightly.
cmon

AM can easily top Tommie if he continues on the same trajectory. I would already take AM over Crouch. AM throws the ball so much better than these guys it's not even funny.

I love the kid too from a potential standpoint but we may want to at least wait till he takes em to a bowl game before we crown him...He was hurt his senior year, was hurt again last year, I am worried there is a trend developing. I highly doubt he will go the next 3 years without missing any games because of injury

I love the kid too from a potential standpoint but we may want to at least wait till he takes em to a bowl game before we crown him...He was hurt his senior year, was hurt again last year, I am worried there is a trend developing. I highly doubt he will go the next 3 years without missing any games because of injury

He got hurt last year because a colorado player blatantly twisted his knee trying to injure him.

He's put on 15 pounds this off season in order to be able to run more. He's solidly built.

Back