-
-
-
Page: 123

Tues, Nov 5 notable games:

Tier 1

Michigan St vs Kentucky (MSG)
Kansas vs Duke (MSG)
Saint Mary's vs Wisconsin (Sioux Falls, SD)
Louisville @ Miami FL
Ga Tech (ineligible for postseason) @ NC State

(note: ACC has moved from 18 to 20 conf games)

Tier 2

ODU @ UNI
Ga Southern @ Auburn
No Dak St @ Kansas St
Penn @ Alabama
Va Tech @ Clemson
UTSA @ Oklahoma
Omaha @ Wichita St
Pepperdine @ Cal
Fresno St @ Oregon
UC Irvine @ San Diego
Utah @ Nevada
Princeton @ Duquesne
CSUN @ Oregon St

Tier 3

Rice @ Arkansas
Jax St @ SMU
App St @ Michigan
Drexel @ Temple
EIU @ Texas Tech
WCU @ Georgia
Bradley @ St. Joe's
No Colorado @ Texas
Army @ Nova

Weds, Nov 6 notable games:

Tier 1

Notre Dame @ UNC
FSU @ Pittsburgh
Cincinnati @ Ohio St
Virginia @ Syracuse

Tier 2

Wake @ BC
Belmont @ Illinois St
Mercer @ St. John's
Green Bay @ Purdue
Charlotte @ JMU

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Getting the obvious out of the way: Sparty is absolutely loaded. Only real question mark is at the 4-spot replacing Goins' production, who wasn't a high usage guy but played great D, rebounded and developed his three-point stroke heading into last season - was the ultimate glue guy. Expecting some sort of Kithier-Bingham-Marble-Hall timeshare. Bingham has put on 25 pounds and could ultimately serve as a 6-10 stretch forward, Marble is beasting in practice, Hall is a clone of Marble (but a better shooter) and Kithier was rock solid in limited action last season. Langford back in the mix alongside Winston, and Sparty posted 1.20 PPP last season when Langford was on the floor before the injury. Langford's presence obv helps relieve the scoring burden off Winston. Xavier Tillman may be the best NBA prospect in the B1G manning the 5. Aaron Henry took his game to a whole different level in the tourney out on the wing. Izzo is Izzo.

Kentucky appears to have a high defensive ceiling, but offensively, there are some concerns. We have a couple uber athlete wing/combo forward types in Whitney and Brooks, but they are still quite raw. Whitney is a capable three-point shooter, but don't think Cal is going to want him playing out on the perimeter. His mid-range game needs work, he's a poor free-throw shooter, turnover machine and is tailored for playing above the rim in transition. This is why being able to reel in Bucknell stretch big Nate Sestina was such an important grab, giving the Cats that element in the frontcourt backing up the 4/5. Hagans played a year up last season and was a ball hawking menace/one-man press up the court. Feel like he's going to really take off this season, and he & the versatile Maxey playing alongside each other in the backcourt gets me pretty damn excited. Cats need someone like Juzang to be able to tie the linuep together at the 3 with his shooting stroke, but Cal has been interchanging Whitney and Brooks at the 3/4 quite a bit early on. Quickley could carve out a nice role off the bench at either guard spot, and needs to shoot the ball well; he's certainly capable. Best offensive lineup imo: Hagans-Maxey-Juzang-Sestina-Montgomery... will likely take some time for this team to gel at the offensive end/find an identity with Cal mixing and matching lineups, and I'll just be happy not to get run out the gym by Sparty.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Duke in kind of same boat as Kentucky for me - high ceiling defensively but don't think they have the shooting to make a deep run in tourney - unless Tre Jones has developed his three-point stroke. Jones is a good defender, so not expecting KU's Dotson to be able to penetrate at will as he's generally accustomed. Can't wait for Big Doke to welcome Vernon Carey to CBB - he is such a damn load in the paint. I'd expect Carey to utilize his well-rounded skill-set and try to draw Doke away from the basket. Cassius Stanley will have to contend with Marcus Garrett for periods of time, one of the better defenders in CBB. Expecting Garrett and Moss to share duties off the ball, subbing defense for offense. Tough task first game out for the Duke freshman. De Sousa is such a fluid athlete - don't see him having much trouble getting out on Hurt. Basically Kansas should be elite defensively. Will look to target under & KU ATS.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Thoughts on SMC/Wisc...

Wisconsin big man Micah Potter was denied eligibility for the first semester, which takes away some much-needed post depth and someone who can score on the block. Aleem Ford will now likely receive the lion's share of the minutes playing alongside Nate Reuvers. Ford uncharacteristically struggled from 3 last season to the tune of 29%, but I expect those numbers to creep back up. The versatile Reuvers' usage will rise significantly taking over Happ's role in the swing offense, and the big question mark will be if he's able to handle that type of work load. Wisconsin will employ five shooting threats on the floor at the same time vs Saint Mary's, but Bennett likes to take away the three ball (% of 3pt shots allowed to opponents was just 31.6% last season, good for #8 in the country). The complimentary players last season for Wisky will now see bigger roles. Trice and Davison will be rock solid shooting and taking care of the basketball within the swing, but they're not great finishers around the basket which is where a guy like Kobe King could come in and give them that added dimension from the wing along with being another stopper on defense.

Gaels have already been talked about in another thread, but they run the dual PG look with Ford being the ultimate workhorse through iso, part of some new wrinkles last season to better utilize him which was evident given the big drop off in assist rate last season. Menzies was ruled eligible which answers my only real concern for them at the 5. Fitts is a budding star and will test the Ford on the other side's defensive ability through his versatility. You sag on him, he knocks it down; you get out on him, he blows by ya and finishes.

Going to target SMC and the under here with the intent of fading the Wisconsin offense early on as they settle into their new roles. Expecting a real methodical halfcourt chess match, with the continuity from last season for SMC playing a big factor here. Wouldn't expect anything less than a well-oiled machine.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
talked in another thread about maybe undervaluing the loss of Cunningham for Louisville. Mack has a difficult decision at the point between Darius Perry and St. Joe's grad transfer Fresh Kimble. Thought Perry did some good things when given the opportunity at lead guard, but Cunningham was just that good through his elite passing skills, ball IQ and leadership last season. I have faith Mack can coach up Fresh and mold him into what he wants, but Perry is nice insurance to have in place in case the inefficiency becomes too much of a burden. Should Fresh and Williamson start at the 1 and 2, that's a whole new backcourt you're backing on the road as a potential Ville bettor.

Also, Malik Williams - rim protector and stretch 5 who began seeing more minutes there over Enoch down the stretch - is out until probably conference play. Enoch is better with his back to the basket and is a capable three-point shooter & rim protector, so it's not the end of the world.

on Miami's side, I wouldn't bank on Keith Stone being ready for the opener as he continues his journey back from knee rehab. Mack's pack-line defense vs Coach L's pick and roll offense - Lykes has them playing a hair faster than previous Coach L teams where's it's a slower pace and endless stream of ball screens. Lykes is wired to score and always has the green light. not really interested in getting involved here unless I see value on Miami's side I can't pass up.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
quick note on NC State: big man DJ Funderburk got slapped with an indefinite suspension after trying to drive off with four boots on his vehicle due to unpaid parking tickets. DJ had added weight to his frame and was deemed the MVP of the offseason by Keatts... and Keatts doesn't really fuck around, so I wouldn't bet on DJ being back for the opener which means a not-so-inspiring potential timeshare of Manny Bates and Danny Dixon as the big in the 4-out look.

Ga Tech big man James Banks didn't miss a shot last season in their upset win (63-61) at NC State, going 8 of 8 from the field including the game-winning dunk. I'd imagine he's pretty excited to get back there with the news of DJ potentially being absent. Pack struggled from 3 to the tune of 8 for 35, and their bubble hopes were pretty much popped at that point.

Pastner was actually really good mixing up the defenses last year, going back and forth from 1-3-1 to man & keeping teams off balance. Ga Tech's Bubba Parham received a waiver to play immediately giving a scoring boost to the backcourt.

Hoping for some Ga Tech value here but they were a fairly popular ACC sleeper before the NCAA came down on them.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
quick thoughts on Penn/Bama:

giving Nate Oats Kira Lewis is like handing him the keys to a Ferrari but as I mentioned in another thread, their depth in the frontcourt has taken a hit with the injuries to Rojas and Gary. That being said guys like Bolden, Petty and Jones appear to be great fits in Oats' up-tempo style of play as well.

Penn is one of the last teams in CBB I'd want to open with as AJ Brodeur is a wizard with the basketball. Offense basically runs through him at the high post or low block, and he has a way of clowning teams through hand-offs, off screens and backdoor cuts.

Penn probably going to be an auto-play for me with the points.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Pepperdine probably going to be a popular play at Cal, and I can't really argue against it should we see something around a pk 'em or Waves laying short.

Waves were torched in the paint off dribble penetration in Romar's first season which explains the high 2pt% allowed to opponents, but I just don't see how Cal is going to be able to keep up with them on the scoreboard. Returning for Romar at the point is junior Coleby Ross, one of the better point guards that didn't make the Cousey watch list. Ross was sixth in assist rate last season and was a sniper in transition. Side note: Tyrese Haliburton not making the top 20 point guard watch is a joke.

Per usual, Kam Edwards missed a good chunk of the schedule which allowed his brother to gain a lot of experience last season as a freshman. Kessler Edwards should be popping up on some draft boards this season given his high ceiling & versatility, and he looks like he's put on some good weight to bang with the boys inside. Budding big man VOO looks primed to take a step forward as a sophomore giving the Waves better rim protection at the 5 for when they do get burned.

Cal had been torched from three under Wyking Jones the last couple seasons, and we can debate the luck factor on three-point shooting for another day. But in rolls the defensive-minded Mark Fox, so I'd expect those numbers to improve. Three of the few bright spots last season in McNeill, Sueing and Vanover have all transferred out.

Watching Georgia play under Fox was like watching paint dry - slow pace, poor shooting and lots of fouls through physicality while hanging hat at defensive end.

VirginiaCavs

Man Crush on Kyle Guy
I‘m really excited for Pepperdine to be stronger inside and better at defending the basket. Last year teams like BYU that I didn‘t find to be as talented could simply bully them.

On top of their usual tempo and fast break points off turnovers

HUNT

CTG Vice Partner
Staff member
A goddamn machine you are. Thanks man. Glad Bingham put some weight on, kid is talented. Marble has the genes and seems like a typical MSU bruiser down low.

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
Staff member
Thoughts on SMC/Wisc...

Wisconsin big man Micah Potter was denied eligibility for the first semester, which takes away some much-needed post depth and someone who can score on the block. Aleem Ford will now likely receive the lion's share of the minutes playing alongside Nate Reuvers. Ford uncharacteristically struggled from 3 last season to the tune of 29%, but I expect those numbers to creep back up. The versatile Reuvers' usage will rise significantly taking over Happ's role in the swing offense, and the big question mark will be if he's able to handle that type of work load. Wisconsin will employ five shooting threats on the floor at the same time vs Saint Mary's, but Bennett likes to take away the three ball (% of 3pt shots allowed to opponents was just 31.6% last season, good for #8 in the country). The complimentary players last season for Wisky will now see bigger roles. Trice and Davison will be rock solid shooting and taking care of the basketball within the swing, but they're not great finishers around the basket which is where a guy like Kobe King could come in and give them that added dimension from the wing along with being another stopper on defense.

Gaels have already been talked about in another thread, but they run the dual PG look with Ford being the ultimate workhorse through iso, part of some new wrinkles last season to better utilize him which was evident given the big drop off in assist rate last season. Menzies was ruled eligible which answers my only real concern for them at the 5. Fitts is a budding star and will test the Ford on the other side's defensive ability through his versatility. You sag on him, he knocks it down; you get out on him, he blows by ya and finishes.

Going to target SMC and the under here with the intent of fading the Wisconsin offense early on as they settle into their new roles. Expecting a real methodical halfcourt chess match, with the continuity from last season for SMC playing a big factor here. Wouldn't expect anything less than a well-oiled machine.
I'll also be on St. Mary's in this one. Completely agree

VirginiaCavs

Man Crush on Kyle Guy
Grind, I love your take on SMC/Wiscy. Thanks for that and thanks to Fondy for his Wiscy input.
I was wondering if you had an opinion of Wiscy's offense over the long term i.e. after they go through that initial adjustment phase? I really feel like the offense can be a lot better when it doesn't run through Happ. I thought Happ straight-jacketed them and I had the impression last year that a more balanced distribution benefitted Wisconsin's offense.
It's not like he was a star, after all. He was little better than a coinflip in terms of efficiency in front of the basket, he was often frustrating in terms of not turning it over, and to call him a liability at the free throw line is a massive understatement.
But i'd like to hear your thoughts.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Grind, I love your take on SMC/Wiscy. Thanks for that and thanks to Fondy for his Wiscy input.
I was wondering if you had an opinion of Wiscy's offense over the long term i.e. after they go through that initial adjustment phase? I really feel like the offense can be a lot better when it doesn't run through Happ. I thought Happ straight-jacketed them and I had the impression last year that a more balanced distribution benefitted Wisconsin's offense.
It's not like he was a star, after all. He was little better than a coinflip in terms of efficiency in front of the basket, he was often frustrating in terms of not turning it over, and to call him a liability at the free throw line is a massive understatement.
But i'd like to hear your thoughts.
No prob, bud. i'd have to respectfully disagree on Happ -- not that you're wrong about his average efficiency scoring the basketball or his poor free-throw shooting (Richard Pitino employing the hack-a-Happ last season was a trip) -- his 102.2 offensive rating was a reflection of that. Besides rebounding and defense, his value shined through his historic assist % for a big man and allowed them to become more versatile within the swing offense with him being able to make the entry pass from the perimeter and things of that nature. He posted a 9.6 GBPM and finished 2nd in kenpom's kPOY standings behind Tech's Culver. And when you have a group of (for the most part ) spot-up shooters like Wisconsin has (Davison and Trice are capable off the dribble but not great finishers), Happ's ability to draw the double team on the block opened things up a great deal out on the perimeter for them.

I can remember back when Bo Ryan was towards the end of his tenure at Wisconsin he began shying away from the swing offense more and more with guys like Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes at his disposal - he could essentially roll the ball out because those guys were so gifted in terms of basketball IQ, athleticism and creating for themselves, resulting in more dribble drive, iso and creating things on the fly.

Gard has brought the swing back to better match his personnel. I don't see them having a high ceiling offensively, but I do like Nate Reuvers quite a bit and believe Potter will be a good fit within the swing. Kobe King is the x-factor for me because he can give them that element they were missing last season and will help replace a little of what Iverson brought to the table if he can take that step forward. fwiw, i'm projecting them to finish in that kenpom 60's range again offensively, and view them as a bubble team come March.

VirginiaCavs

Man Crush on Kyle Guy
Maybe you're onto something though - we shall see
No I totally forgot about Happ's passing, great point. Who else could open up scoring opportunities like that?

So against SMC you have a bunch of spot-up shooters who aren't very good at creating their own shot and won't get any help from Happ against a team that thrives at limiting opposing three-point percentage, anyways. Umm sign me up?

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
and we're off - ken just dropped his fanmatch

here are a few notables:

Mich St -2/142
Duke -4/152
SMC -2/135
Ville -8/146
Clemson -1/135
NCSU -8/152
Nevada -5/155
Pepperdine -2/148
Bama -8/150
UNI -6/124

what i'd play at those numbers: Mich St -2, KU +4, SMC -2 & u135, Miami FL +8, VT/Clem u135, Ga Tech +8, Pepperdine -2, Penn +8 and ODU/UNI u124

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Targeting a play on Bradley opening night (KP Bradley -1/145)... roster overhaul for St. Joe's, Martelli out (now the right hand man to Juwan Howard) and Billy Lange in with his pressure and fun & gun.... freshman PG in Rahmir Moore, not a whole lot of depth even though they did get Myles Douglas eligible from UCF which was big news

just a tough spot for a group of guys getting to know each other in a new system opening with Bradley who does a good job dictating tempo and giving teams headaches with their full-court pressure and man/3-2 in the halfcourt. Veteran floor general/high usage scorer in Darrell Brown, senior wing sniper in Kennell, rising junior Elijah Childs on the inside and Wardle has momentum on his side coming off last season's MVC tourney championship. The core is back for another run, and if Childs has expanded his game a little more on the perimeter as he showed in the postseason, they'll be a tough out in March.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Looking ahead to some ACC action on the second night...

KP: North Carolina -11/153

Would have to grab the points here with Notre Dame. I'd imagine we'll see a lot of 2-3 zone like last season from Brey, selling out to beat UNC back down the floor in transition and some burn offense sets to try to shorten the game (esp if ND grabs an early lead). The two teams combined for 72 possessions last season in ND's 75-69 loss in Chapel Hill. Really high on UNC down the road, but if there's going to be a time to get them, it will be on the 6th.

Need to keep an eye out on Rex Pflueger's status, who is an extension of Brey and his IQ/shooting/defense was missed last season when you look at PPP on both sides of the ball for the 10 games in which he did play. Pflueger was supposed to have been cleared for basketball activities a few days ago. Gibbs' shooting percentage should creep back up having Rex out there making quality decisions on the wing. Shot selection was a killer for this group last season, which is not what we're accustomed to seeing out of a Brey coached team - granted he was working with a half deck most nights.

thoughts from another thread:

Hubb gets a pass from me for his up-and-down season at the point. He showed flashes of star potential at times, but along with Gibbs, the inefficiency shooting the basketball was maddening as well as the turnover rate. Some forget he missed his senior season of high school after blowing out his knee, so he was literally thrown into the fire last season as a freshman.

Roy gets to play his traditional two-big lineup again in which he's had more success with over recent years. Bacot is winning 33s in practice and runs the floor like a deer. Brooks looks like a budding star. Doing an analytical dive on B-Rob suggests he'll take same step forward Kenny Williams did. Perimeter defense should be stout with B-Rob and Leaky Black. Black reminds me a bit of how Theo Pinson was at same point in career - raw and athletic but the ceiling is high and could rise up draft boards with a strong showing. Keeling's well-rounded skillset should play well in ACC. Cole Anthony about to take the CBB by storm - are we going to see a Trae Young at OU type usage rate?

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
KP Ohio St -6/140 vs Cincy Wed night

Two coaches I have a great deal of respect for going head to head. Holtmann grew up 5 mins down the road from me and have talked about him ad nausea here, so will talk a little more about new UC HC John Brannen as the Bearcats shift from a defensive-minded culture.

Brannen is a great offensive Xs and Os guy who's teams space the floor, share the ball well, don't shoot themselves in the foot and can shoot the rock. He is a proven player developer and his teams are often noted for their great chemistry. He was able to snag grad transfer shooting guard Jaevin Cumberland from Oakland, cousin and former HS teammate of preseason American POY Jarron Cumberland. Can't not like the prospects of two efficient high volume snipers who should have immediate chemistry playing alongside each other and thrive in Brannen's system. Chris McNeal by way of WKU/Indian Hills/New Mexico/Tenn Tech appears to be another solid fit given his tight handle, passing ability and shooting prowess. Yes, McNeal's shooting percentage from 3 at the D1 level thus far hasn't been pretty, but he's a much better shooter than his percentage indicates imo. Followed him closely at WKU where he broke the freshman assist record before transferring to juco powerhouse Indian Hills where he made 83 triples at a 38% clip from lead guard. I don't think he's a headcase or anything and plays with a lot of energy; just needs a guy like Brannen to reel him in a bit in terms of efficiency.

side note: Seven+ footer Chris Vogt received a waiver coming over from NKU providing some rim protection insurance off the bench.

Ohio State's Musa Jallow just had ankle surgery and will miss some time; Jallow is a really good defender who saw majority of the minutes at the 3 last postseason. For me this kind of opens the door for EJ Liddell, who like Depaul's Romeo Weems, should be one of the better freshmen defenders in college basketball. Liddell provides so much defensive versatility from perimeter d to rim protection, and could interchange at the 3 and 4 spots with the elder Andre Wesson at the offensive end, who was shooting 41% from three 16 practices in and will likely see more looks in the pick and pop game playing alongside his monster baby brother.

DJ Carton and CJ Walker will allow them to play faster and be more versatile in the backcourt with both having a knack for getting into the paint. Carton is long and athletic, and Walker brings more of a physical presence to the floor. Excited to see those two playing in the dual PG look or alongside lockdown defender Luther Muhammad, who is looking to become more than just a 3 and D guy this season. Microwave Duane Washington never shies away from a shot but is more well-rounded offensively than Muhammad - like his scoring punch off the bench.

Have Cincy winning the American, but see this game going a lot like last year's meeting in Fifth Third.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Maybe we need a seperate injury etc thread but Wagner out 4-6 for Michigan with a fractured wrist.
that sucks man. as i'm sure you're well aware the hype on Wagner began to snowball this summer; 6-9 wings like him, especially with his pedigree, don't grow on trees - hope to see him back by December

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
that sucks man. as i'm sure you're well aware the hype on Wagner began to snowball this summer; 6-9 wings like him, especially with his pedigree, don't grow on trees - hope to see him back by December
Oh, I've been all in on Franz for most of this calendar year. He'll be more of an impact than Iggy was and then some. I'll also add that Brandon John's is in a walking boot. No information on the severity of that though.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Josh Langford to miss extended time as foot problems resurface :( bummer for the guy and the team
Re-evaluated in January? Man, that's tough. Seems like a great kid by all accounts - wishing him the best.

Ahrens is having issues with the same ankle. Rocket Watts (strained achilles) practiced yesterday. Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Rocket at the 2 - should have an Ashton Hagans-type impact defensively.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Yeah being reevaluated in January is not encouraging. Now, take this as a joke VC... These injuries set up nice for Izzo to start complaining about injuries (a tried and true tradition).

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
looking ahead to some ACC action on the second night - KP: FSU -2/142

have Pitt circled here as I think FSU will go through a tough transition period offensively given the departures of Mann and Kabengele. Pitt's 75-62 home win over FSU was their high point last season before embarking upon that 13-game losing skid in conference. McGowens and Johnson were relentless in attacking the basket combining to go 28-29 from the line, and their ability to dribble penetrate had Hamilton questioning if he should have played zone from the beginning in the post game presser. Keep in mind Forrest is one of the better perimeter defenders in CBB through his combo of size, speed and strength - maybe he was having an off night at the defensive end or it was a tight whistle.

Patrick Williams is the X-factor for me in this one for FSU - he's the youngest freshman to come through Tally and has the tools and makeup to be great. Elite athlete w/ quick burst, high IQ, can run jump shoot and guard 1 through 5. Forrest said he's already the best shot-blocker and glass cleaner on the team. Williams is drawing comparisons to Chris Singleton due to what he can do defensively, but is more advanced at this stage offensively. His makeup is said to be off the charts - a real humble kid who is eager to get better like Jonathan Isaac was. They're trying to get him to be more assertive and confident with the basketball, which will come in time - just hopefully not Wed night in what should be a rocking atmosphere against a pesky Pitt group looking to make a jump this season. Forrest should get his, but don't have a lot of faith in MJ Walker's offensive ability at this point.

I'd imagine Capel will pressure FSU and fall back into their matchup 2-3 zone to help negate FSU's size in the halfcourt.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
looking ahead to some ACC action on the second night - KP: FSU -2/142

have Pitt circled here as I think FSU will go through a tough transition period offensively given the departures of Mann and Kabengele. Pitt's 75-62 home win over FSU was their high point last season before embarking upon that 13-game losing skid in conference. McGowens and Johnson were relentless in attacking the basket combining to go 28-29 from the line, and their ability to dribble penetrate had Hamilton questioning if he should have played zone from the beginning in the post game presser. Keep in mind Forrest is one of the better perimeter defenders in CBB through his combo of size, speed and strength - maybe he was having an off night at the defensive end or it was a tight whistle.

Patrick Williams is the X-factor for me in this one for FSU - he's the youngest freshman to come through Tally and has the tools and makeup to be great. Elite athlete w/ quick burst, high IQ, can run jump shoot and guard 1 through 5. Forrest said he's already the best shot-blocker and glass cleaner on the team. Williams is drawing comparisons to Chris Singleton due to what he can do defensively, but is more advanced at this stage offensively. His makeup is said to be off the charts - a real humble kid who is eager to get better like Jonathan Isaac was. They're trying to get him to be more assertive and confident with the basketball, which will come in time - just hopefully not Wed night in what should be a rocking atmosphere against a pesky Pitt group looking to make a jump this season. Forrest should get his, but don't have a lot of faith in MJ Walker's offensive ability at this point.

I'd imagine Capel will pressure FSU and fall back into their matchup 2-3 zone to help negate FSU's size in the halfcourt.
one more thing I failed to mention on the Pitt angle - they got some games in this summer in Italy, which should only help the cause. @allen3 had some good stuff on Pitt's summer trip, fwiw.

VirginiaCavs

Man Crush on Kyle Guy
Sheesh one ugly game that counted for nothing....then let's take the most pessimistic outlook towards every single player while cherry-picking their worst attributes for emphasis and claim that Armageddon has arrived.

Plenty of the top teams have looked super sloppy in these sorts of preseason situations. Was just reading about Michigan State's performance, which Izzo apologized for.

And yeah welcome to the NCAA. It's not like high school where you can reliably just thump your opponent on the basis of talent alone. Nor do you magically out of nowhere develop the chemistry (and motivation) often required to do so.

HUNT

CTG Vice Partner
Staff member
Sheesh one ugly game that counted for nothing....then let's take the most pessimistic outlook towards every single player while cherry-picking their worst attributes for emphasis and claim that Armageddon has arrived.

Plenty of the top teams have looked super sloppy in these sorts of preseason situations. Was just reading about Michigan State's performance, which Izzo apologized for.

And yeah welcome to the NCAA. It's not like high school where you can reliably just thump your opponent on the basis of talent alone. Nor do you magically out of nowhere develop the chemistry (and motivation) often required to do so.

I know right? The author just ripped all of those kids apart over a meaningless game. I was pretty shocked.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Bama literally ran Ga Tech out the gym in Tuscaloosa (93-65); i know, i know - don't put too much stock into x-games or scrimmages, but wanted to check the pulse of Pastner's crew after the NCAA came down on them. Bama was on absolute fire from three though - Shackelford ripped six of 'em and is looking like a nice complement to Kira Lewis Jr. in the backcourt if he can outplay Bolden. Bama similar to NC State - who Ga Tech opens with - in terms of pace and space, and talked about last season's meeting earlier in thread & potentially eyeing a play on Ga Tech with the DJ suspension/potential mismatch at the 5. Redshirt freshman Manny Bates saw the lion share of the minutes at the 5 for the Pack, and made a good showing with 10 points, 4 rebs and 2 blocks in their x-game vs Mount Olive. Bates is a former 4-star prospect who had to redshirt last season due to shoulder issues. Keatts and his teammates seem pretty high on the kid - they were raving about his energy, rim protection and underrated scoring ability around the basket.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="#NotreDame hashtag on Twitter">#NotreDame</a> senior Rex Pflueger likely still two weeks away from being medically cleared from ACL rehab...makes Carolina opener a little iffy....</p>&mdash; Tom Noie (@tnoieNDI) <a href=" ">October 16, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tom Noie
@tnoieNDI

Irish guard @rexpflueger will start and expected to play about 15 minutes tonight in exhibition game vs. Division III Capital....sophomore PF Chris Doherty will not play after recently having wisdom teeth removed

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
dropping some thoughts...

attended Kentucky game vs NAIA powerhouse Georgetown College, and boy does Cal have his work cut out for him in trying to carve out a rotation. G-Town was pretty athletic for a smaller team, but gut tells me Kentucky is going to struggle early on going up against some size at the offensive end. Off-court chemistry is there with this group, but the on-court cohesion is going to take some time until everybody figures out their roles as I've said before. There will likely be a couple unhappy guys several games in, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out (looking back to Quade Green last season).

Richards rolled his ankle but doesn't look as bad as it appeared. Love the pace at which Maxey plays at, Quickley shooting with a ton of confidence and is definitely most improved. Cal had Whitney and Brooks interchanging at the 3 and 4 at times, which I wasn't a fan of; I'd rather those two be in separate units. IMO Whitney is going to hurt more than help early on. Like Brooks' stroke up to about 20-feet, but don't want to see him taking a bunch of threes. Talked about Whitney's terrible free throw shooting earlier in thread and first one he threw up was a nasty clanker off back rim, followed by another miss. Not sure how you can have him in the game during crunch time if he can't hit a freebie when his game is tailored on being aggressive and attacking the basket.

I'm saying give me some three-guard alignments with Hagans-Maxey-Quickley, have Sestina stretch it from the 4 with an EJ/Richards timeshare at the 5. Pepper in the freshmen wing-forwards when you need them. Throw it back to 2017 when we had the Fox-Monk-Briscoe three-guard alignment with Willis stretching the floor from the 4 and Bam at the 5.

Michigan State on the other hand has a clear cut rotation imo despite the injury bug with Langford and Ahrens. Kithier received the bulk of playing time at the 4 - he's more seasoned and complements Tillman well in that he stays out of his way according to Izzo. Ahrens looking less and less likely to play in opener. So the top 6 goes Winston-Watts-Henry-Kithier-Tillman with swingman Gabe Brown first off the bench. I like the lineup cohesion with the big three and then the two lunch pail guys in Watts and Kithier. Malik Hall was the first big off the bench spelling Kithier at the 4. Bingham probably doesn't see a whole lot of burn against Kentucky's frontcourt. Something to note - Tillman has expanded his game to the perimeter and was hunting his shot from three. He ended up cashing a couple. Kithier also showed a nice stroke from out there. Izzo said Watts reminds him of Keith Appling - a great athlete, as tough as they come and can guard. Going to be fun watching he and Winston push the pace. Ball movement around the perimeter was said to be on point for Sparty, evident with the 25 assists on 32 baskets. Lots of open looks from three, converting 12 of 35.

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Darius Perry (34 mins) started at the point over Fresh Kimble (18 mins) in Louisville's x-game with Bellarmine yesterday. Enoch missed with deep thigh bruise

HUNT

CTG Vice Partner
Staff member
dropping some thoughts...

attended Kentucky game vs NAIA powerhouse Georgetown College, and boy does Cal have his work cut out for him in trying to carve out a rotation. G-Town was pretty athletic for a smaller team, but gut tells me Kentucky is going to struggle early on going up against some size at the offensive end. Off-court chemistry is there with this group, but the on-court cohesion is going to take some time until everybody figures out their roles as I've said before. There will likely be a couple unhappy guys several games in, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out (looking back to Quade Green last season).

Richards rolled his ankle but doesn't look as bad as it appeared. Love the pace at which Maxey plays at, Quickley shooting with a ton of confidence and is definitely most improved. Cal had Whitney and Brooks interchanging at the 3 and 4 at times, which I wasn't a fan of; I'd rather those two be in separate units. IMO Whitney is going to hurt more than help early on. Like Brooks' stroke up to about 20-feet, but don't want to see him taking a bunch of threes. Talked about Whitney's terrible free throw shooting earlier in thread and first one he threw up was a nasty clanker off back rim, followed by another miss. Not sure how you can have him in the game during crunch time if he can't hit a freebie when his game is tailored on being aggressive and attacking the basket.

I'm saying give me some three-guard alignments with Hagans-Maxey-Quickley, have Sestina stretch it from the 4 with an EJ/Richards timeshare at the 5. Pepper in the freshmen wing-forwards when you need them. Throw it back to 2017 when we had the Fox-Monk-Briscoe three-guard alignment with Willis stretching the floor from the 4 and Bam at the 5.

Michigan State on the other hand has a clear cut rotation imo despite the injury bug with Langford and Ahrens. Kithier received the bulk of playing time at the 4 - he's more seasoned and complements Tillman well in that he stays out of his way according to Izzo. Ahrens looking less and less likely to play in opener. So the top 6 goes Winston-Watts-Henry-Kithier-Tillman with swingman Gabe Brown first off the bench. I like the lineup cohesion with the big three and then the two lunch pail guys in Watts and Kithier. Malik Hall was the first big off the bench spelling Kithier at the 4. Bingham probably doesn't see a whole lot of burn against Kentucky's physical frontcourt. Something to note - Tillman has expanded his game to the perimeter and was hunting his shot from three. He ended up cashing a couple. Kithier also showed a nice stroke from out there. Izzo said Watts reminds him of Keith Appling - a great athlete, as tough as they come and can guard. Going to be fun watching he and Winston push the pace. Ball movement around the perimeter was said to be on point for Sparty, evident with the 25 assists on 32 baskets. Lots of open looks from three, converting 12 of 35.

Thanks man. Looking forward to seeing rocket watts play.

rochclone

Thoughts on SMC/Wisc...

Take it for what it is worth but Wisconsin hit 13 3’s in a secret scrimmage against my Cyclones. Wisconsin apparently won by 20. Still think SMC is right side but wanted to share.

HUNT

CTG Vice Partner
Staff member
Michigan played Detroit Mercy a few days ago. Michigan won 82-75.

Howard went with Simpson, Eli Brooks, Nunez, Livers, Teske.

Dejulius led Michigan with scorers with 21. 7/8 from 3 against primary zone d.

Countries leading returning scorer Antoine Davis had 26 with 5 threes.

CTG Sponsors & Affiliates