• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Olympics: Basketball

wreck

<table onmouseover="changeto(event, '#E6E6E6')" onmouseout="changeback(event, '#E6E6E6')" style="width: 100%;" border="0"><tbody><tr id="ctl00_MCPH_CL_ignore_1" class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"><td colspan="3">Olympics: USA Men's Basketball (Must Compete for Action)

</td> </tr><tr id="ctl00_MCPH_CL_ignore_2" class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td style="width: 25%;">Fri 8/1</td><td colspan="2">USA Men win gold at 2008 Summer Games?</td> </tr><tr class="AlternatingData1"> <td>06:01 AM</td><td style="width: 53%;">1141 Yes</td><td style="width: 22%;">-305</td> </tr><tr class="AlternatingData1"> <td> </td><td>1142 No</td><td>+285</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table style="width: 100%;" border="0"><tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"><td colspan="7">Olympics - Qualifying Tournament - Men Basketball - Mon 7/14

</td> </tr><tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="3">Game</td><td>Spread</td><td>Money Line</td><td>Total Points</td><td>More</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>Mon 7/14</td><td>6761</td><td>Croatia</td><td>-16.5 -105</td><td>-1650</td><td>OVER 150.5 -105</td><td rowspan="2" valign="middle" align="center">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>03:00 AM</td><td>6762</td><td>Cameroon</td><td>+16.5 -105</td><td>+1300</td><td>UNDER 150.5 -105</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>Mon 7/14</td><td>6763</td><td>Greece</td><td>-27.5 -105</td><td>
</td><td>OVER 147.5 -106</td><td rowspan="2" valign="middle" align="center">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>03:00 AM</td><td>6764</td><td>Lebanon</td><td>+27.5 -105</td><td>
</td><td>UNDER 147.5 -104</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>Mon 7/14</td><td>6765</td><td>Korea Republic</td><td>+19.5 -107</td><td>+2050</td><td>OVER 161 -103</td><td rowspan="2" valign="middle" align="center">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>03:00 AM</td><td>6766</td><td>Slovenia</td><td>-19.5 -103</td><td>-2650</td><td>UNDER 161 -107</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>Mon 7/14</td><td>6767</td><td>New Zealand</td><td>-13 -110</td><td>-1050</td><td>OVER 138.5 -103</td><td rowspan="2" valign="middle" align="center">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>03:00 AM</td><td>6768</td><td>Cape Verde</td><td>+13 +100</td><td>+850</td><td>UNDER 138.5 -107</td></tr></tbody></table>

I'm not sure the USA team has enough players willing to play basketball the white man's way.

why not take no... there is a tonne of talent out there, and its shown in the past they can be beat

yeah really - i can't believe the line is that high....

how many gold medals have the US Basketball team even won in the past?

what book are these lines from?

yeah really - i can't believe the line is that high....

what book are these lines from?

sorry. all lines from pinnacle

i did some digging myself.... i guess i don't follow the Olympic Games close enough...

Olympic Games record
  • 1936: 1st
  • 1948: 1st
  • 1952: 1st
  • 1956: 1st
  • 1960: 1st
  • 1964: 1st
  • 1968: 1st
  • 1972: 2nd
  • 1976: 1st
  • 1980: did not participate
  • 1984: 1st
  • 1988: 3rd
  • 1992: 1st
  • 1996: 1st
  • 2000: 1st
  • 2004: 3rd

The international game is played from outside-in...

hence why this team was made up like this...

look at the past Olympics(2004), guys like Duncan were much less effective..

They built this team like this for a reason.

no doubt... but I mean..come on... +285

how many of the roster have gold medals? Not sure, just wondering

If there's something that the US Basketball Team lacks is HEART

In the previous tournament (with the Dream Team) they played as if there was no tomorrow and they proved it on the court.

Sorry to say but these guys don't give a damn about the Olympics. They can say they do on camera, but honestly they don't. Their heart is thinking about the summer ball that their NBA team is doing.

Not to mention the "hidden talent" that the other countries have....

Can the US go all the way? HELL YEAH they can... But if you don't play w/ heart, you can't win w/ just skill.

What do you guys think?

no doubt... but I mean..come on... +285

how many of the roster have gold medals? Not sure, just wondering

Jason Kidd is the only one on the roster with a gold medal. Kidd was also a member of the 1999 and 2003 Olympic qualifying teams, compiling a 28-0 record (34-0 including exhibition games) over two qualifying tournaments and one Olympics (Sydney 2000).

Tyson Chandler won't practice with the U.S. Olympic team next week because he has an inflamed big toe.
Ironically, Chandler is only traveling with the team in case someone gets injured. We don't have a timetable for his return, but we're assuming he'll be fine by the time training camp starts.

The Argentine Olympic Committee confirmed on Friday that Manu Ginobili will be on their 12-man roster for the Beijing games.
"I have been playing more the last few days and it has improved," Ginobili said. "It feels great, and that makes me very happy." Spurs teammate Fabricio Oberto also made the Argentinian roster, despite missing the past few games with a sore calf.

Yao Ming played his first game in nearly six months on Wednesday, scoring six points in seven minutes for the Chinese national team.
Yao hadn't played since suffering a stress fracture in his left foot last February, an injury that typically takes a full year to heal (he has described the injury as 80% healed). His minutes will rise slowly, but expect China to use him as much as possible once the Olympics begin in August.

Composition of groups:

Group A: Argentina, Australia, Croatia, Iran, Lithuania and Russia
Group B: Angola, China, Germany, Greece, Spain and USA

spain, greece and the usa in one group plus the hometeam....:popcorn:

it will be tough for dirk and kaman to carry this german team to the quarterfinal.

argentina got themselves a nice draw.

but the us are gonna have to play some decent teams in group play.

this is the best event of the olympics for me. gonna be crazy.

How does Iran have a basketball team?

They are the Iran Enriched Uraniums ... here is their logo.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=160 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
nuclear-uranium-hexafluoride-crystals-bg.jpg

Uranium hexafluoride crystals.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I really don't see the USA losing, but at the same point, when I compare this line to a -200 baseball game, the -200 baseball game sure seems like a better bet.

A team source said the Knicks are considering resting Danilo Gallinari and his sore back the remainder of the summer and might request that he not play for the Italian national team that gets together in two weeks.
The Knicks appear to be seriously concerned about Gallinari's strength and durabiliity (he's 6-10, 227), as he made it through just one NBA summer league game before injuring his back. In addition, a European source said Gallinari had various hamstring and knee problems in Italy, but a Knicks source said that was "growing pains." We're not expecting much, if any, fantasy value out of Gallinari this season.

A toe injury is likely to keep reserve center Tyson Chandler from fulfilling his backup commitment to Team USA.
USA Basketball officials refused to say that Chandler was completely out of the mix, but coach Mike Krzyzewski said a new backup plan will take shape over the next couple of days. Not only does this leave the team dangerously thin at center, but the Hornets and fantasy owners need to hope that the injury doesn't limit Chandler once the season gets going. Kevin Durant is the most likely candidate to fulfill Chandler's backup role, but that obviously isn't going to help the situation at center.
Source: ESPN.com

U.S. Olympic basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski praised Dwyane Wade on Wednesday, saying Wade has "made an amazing commitment to being in topflight shape and getting over his [knee] injury."
"[Wade] has been kind of the most pleasant surprise of our three days because...he was out the last portion of the season," Krzyzewski added. We'll get a much better idea of his conditioning once the Olympics begin, but so far, so good.

USA -34.5 tonight against Canada

Not betting on it but you have to like the red white and blue. This could be a 35 point game by halftime

Ah fuck it, I took the USA

I really think they try to make a statement tonight against a Canadian team that didn't even qualify for the Olympics. There are a few decent players on the Canadian team including Denham Brown and Dalembert but I see this one getting ugly fast. I think it will play out similar to an NBA all-star game where only one team is composed of all stars.

Prediction: 114-66

Holy shit Coach K is running this team like they are the all-white Duke Blue Devils. Playing a soft help zone and fucking Canada is just raining threes in the first quarter. This team can play man against any team in the world. I understand trying to coach this team and not just letting them run wide open all day long but you have got to let the more athletic team play a tight man

Hey its 115-65 with 2:00 to go. My prediction wasn't all that off.

Anyways a 1-0 (+1.0 Unit) start for the Olympics

WOO-HOO for easy money

<table style="width: 100%;" border="0"><tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"><td colspan="7">Basketball Betting - Men Basketball - Sat 8/9

</td> </tr><tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="3">Game</td><td>Spread</td><td>Money Line</td><td>Total Points</td><td>More</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>Sat 8/9</td><td>9001</td><td>Russia</td><td>-22 -103</td><td>
</td><td>OVER 149 -105</td><td rowspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">Props
</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>06:00 PM</td><td>9002</td><td>Iran</td><td>+22 -107</td><td>
</td><td>UNDER 149 -105</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>Sat 8/9</td><td>9003</td><td>Germany</td><td>-10 -105</td><td>-500</td><td>OVER 151 -106</td><td rowspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>08:15 PM</td><td>9004</td><td>Angola</td><td>+10 -105</td><td>+450</td><td>UNDER 151 -104</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>Sat 8/9</td><td>9005</td><td>Spain</td><td>-5.5 -110</td><td>-240</td><td>OVER 147.5 -105</td><td rowspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>11:30 PM</td><td>9006</td><td>Greece</td><td>+5.5 +100</td><td>+220</td><td>UNDER 147.5 -105</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table style="width: 100%;" border="0"><tbody><tr class="Column_Date_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="7">Basketball Betting - Men Basketball - Sun 8/10

</td> </tr><tr class="Column_Headers_Odds"> <td colspan="3">Game</td><td>Spread</td><td>Money Line</td><td>Total Points</td><td>More</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>Sun 8/10</td><td>9007</td><td>Lithuania</td><td>+2.5 -105</td><td>+125</td><td>OVER 165.5 -105</td><td rowspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>01:45 AM</td><td>9008</td><td>Argentina</td><td>-2.5 -105</td><td>-135</td><td>UNDER 165.5 -105</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>Sun 8/10</td><td>9009</td><td>Australia</td><td>+6 -110</td><td>+219</td><td>OVER 152.5 -105</td><td rowspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD2"> <td>05:00 AM</td><td>9010</td><td>Croatia</td><td>-6 +100</td><td>-239</td><td>UNDER 152.5 -105</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>Sun 8/10</td><td>9011</td><td>USA</td><td>-28.5 -105</td><td>
</td><td>OVER 178.5 -105</td><td rowspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">
</td> </tr><tr class="AD1"> <td>07:15 AM</td><td>9012</td><td>China</td><td>+28.5 -105</td><td>
</td><td>UNDER 178.5 -105</td></tr></tbody></table>

I wont be betting this bullshit, because I dont know anyhting about it, ill be cheering for my boys (US and Russia). First of all I think we have a tough group, if memory serves me right Angola isnt exactly terrible either. Second you gotta believe that China +28.5 might not be a bad pick. they are playing In china, they have great player and one average player. Second, I like Argentina, simply for the fact that this team Lithuania I dont think has anyone from the Don Nelson era, but maybe im crazy. Australia +6 also looks good, I didnt know Croatia even played hoops.

Then on the first day, Russia should be pretty damn good in this, 4 of the 5 play or played in the NBA. ( I think). The Fifth starts for the best team in Russia CSKA Russia (Giddens, actually an American but same deal as Hammons, I think thats his name)

Like I said Angola seems to have some height and talent so id grab them at +10.

Then there is the Spain Greece game, should be the best game out of the whole lot of them, I think Spain -5.5 is the pick though , simply because they own the world in sports right now and Greece is just depressing in Spain.

Let me just say I have no idea what im talking about and this is all off the top of my head

Damn it costs $600 to watch 2 games of team USA in Macau at The Venetia.. It just goes to show that basketball is the best sport in the world!!!

I wont be betting this bullshit, because I dont know anyhting about it, ill be cheering for my boys (US and Russia). First of all I think we have a tough group, if memory serves me right Angola isnt exactly terrible either. Second you gotta believe that China +28.5 might not be a bad pick. they are playing In china, they have great player and one average player. Second, I like Argentina, simply for the fact that this team Lithuania I dont think has anyone from the Don Nelson era, but maybe im crazy. Australia +6 also looks good, I didnt know Croatia even played hoops.

Then on the first day, Russia should be pretty damn good in this, 4 of the 5 play or played in the NBA. ( I think). The Fifth starts for the best team in Russia CSKA Russia (Giddens, actually an American but same deal as Hammons, I think thats his name)

Like I said Angola seems to have some height and talent so id grab them at +10.

Then there is the Spain Greece game, should be the best game out of the whole lot of them, I think Spain -5.5 is the pick though , simply because they own the world in sports right now and Greece is just depressing in Spain.

Let me just say I have no idea what im talking about and this is all off the top of my head

Jesus Christ man. So you've never heard of Toni Kukoc, Dino Rađa, Dražen Petrović (RIP)? Croatia is a basketball nation, we love hoops here and we've had some top class talents in our history. Not many big names nowadays but a solid young core and you'll soon hear of the name Roko Leni Ukic (new Raptors' acquisition), Marko Tomas, Davor Kus, Niksa Prkacin, etc...

This is a solid team. Don't know if I would lay 6 against Australia though, as the Aussies can be good as well and will put up a fight against anyone. I've seen them play a couple of times and I won't be laying points here.

Btw, check this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_1992_Summer_Olympics

Croatian have had decent players in the past, but are by no means a powerhouse globally.

Petrovic was the man in New Jersey, and we all know what Kukoc did with the Bulls. And Ukic, who the Raps drafted a few years ago, now appears ready to backup Calderon in Toronto this year.

I never said they were a powerhouse, nor do I usually have homer calls or tend to exaggerate. I merely said that they have a decent team that had a lot of troubles in the past decade due to a lot of reasons (I could write them all here but doubt anyone would be interested that deeply :D) and finally managed to qualify for the Olympics.

We're by no means some exotic country "wow they play hoops", I never thought of us like that, but I guess our absence from the big stage throughout the years brought us to this point.

Satyr, I feel for you..I know the countries comprising the former Yugoslavia, were indeed considered a basketball powerhouse, top 5 in the world IMO... Without international exposure though people tend to 4get...

Im pretty ignorant when its comes to international basketball and dont follow it at all, so take my analysis with a grain of salt...my apologiez Satyr

I'm looking forward to seeing how my boy Ukic does at the Olympics.

With Calderon, Ukic and John Lucas Jr. the Raptors have some nice depth at the point.

Spain and perhaps Greece are the only real challengers for USA this time around. The Argentinians have looked rusty thus far in the preparation games.

Bucks center Andrew Bogut sat out most of the second half of Australia's 95-91 loss to Argentina in an Olympic tune-up game on Saturday, due to a slight ankle injury.
Bogut was hot coming in, scoring 32 points and grabbing 11 rebounds in Australia's 81-78 victory over Angola. The injury doesn't appear to be serious, so we're guessing he'll be fine by the time the Olympics start.

Russia were pretty good yesterday against the US in making the tempo into an absolute crawl. US still looked suspect against the pick and roll.

Dirk Nowitzki has been selected to carry Germany's flag during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics on Friday.
"[Nowitzki] embodies the Olympic idea like hardly anyone else," said German Olympic official Michael Vesper. Germany's basketball team failed to qualify for the two previous Olympics, but earned silver at the 2005 European Championship and bronze at the 2002 World Championship. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is an outspoken critic of NBA players participating in the Olympics, but is respecting Dirk's dedication to his home country.
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

How to beat USA ...

Do not go for a single offensive rebound. Get back, get back, get back on defense. This limits their easy buckets and forces them to beat you in half court sets in a slower game.

Do not guard Jason Kidd. Dare him to shoot.

Overcrowd the ball side of the floor taking away the driving lanes. Like what Boston did to Lebron and then to Kobe en route to the ring.

Do not run at USA when on offense. Play slow and shot a high number of 3's.

Least that's how i see it being done, if it can be.

How to beat USA ...

Do not go for a single offensive rebound. Get back, get back, get back on defense. This limits their easy buckets and forces them to beat you in half court sets in a slower game.

Do not guard Jason Kidd. Dare him to shoot.

Overcrowd the ball side of the floor taking away the driving lanes. Like what Boston did to Lebron and then to Kobe en route to the ring.

Do not run at USA when on offense. Play slow and shot a high number of 3's.

Least that's how i see it being done, if it can be.
:shake:

I like how the Aussies played a saggy man-to-man :)really_happy:) against USA. All five men were inside the 3pt line and sagging toward the strong side. That eliminated most of the penetration and forced the USA to mostly settle for long jumpers. If the USA are shooting the lights out from behind the arc, they cannot be beat. But there is a good chance that they struggle from outside against atleast one of the top teams in the field, which would spell doom for their dreams for Gold. I also would have preferred Mike Miller to be on the team over Prince, as the USA team for the most part seem very uninterested in playing D collectively as a unit and Tayshaun is seeing very limited action thus far.

Call me stupid but layed the chalk with the US to win the gold and their group. Also layed the 33 points vs. China, as I have heard China point guard play is terrible.

Back