• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Mark Dantonio Replacement Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Replacing Mark Dantonio: Who Should You Bet On To Become Michigan State’s New Head Coach?

Betting On Mark Dantonio’s Replacement

Mark Dantonio has retired from his head coaching position at Michigan State. Betting odds have been released as to who will replace him.

Before making an pick, let’s rule out potential favorites.

Ruling Out Luke Fickell

Current Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell is likely Spartan nation's most desired candidate. He’s the second-most favored option at BetOnline and his name is constantly being linked with Michigan State.

While the noise is loud, I don’t find Fickell to be a plausible option.

For starters, he is building a historically successful program at Cincinnati. His Bearcats earned 11 wins in each of the past two seasons.

The future continues to be bright at Cincinnati with historically high-profile recruits come in. His recruiting class is the AAC’s top one.

Part of the reason for Fickell’s success in recruiting is that he is able to nab recruits from Michigan State.

After all, Cincinnati is not too far from East Lansing and Fickell’s rising program is able to do more than just compete with Michigan State’s prospects.

This last point is important because you have to ask what Fickell could gain from joining Michigan State. He wouldn’t definitely be coaching higher-level talent.

The Spartan program is very much trending downward after two 7-6 seasons that were plagued by atrocious offensive play and a decreasingly dominant defense.

More importantly, Michigan State’s future looks rather bleak. Its 2020 recruiting class ranks 10th in the Big Ten.

So it seems like any new head coach would have to wait some time before finding much success in a Spartan program that regularly competes with top-notch programs like Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan.

In betting on a head coaching prospect, i’m looking for a coach who really stands to gain from joining Michigan State as he has to be willing to endure a slow start.

I don’t see Fickell as this option.

Looking For More Realistic Candidates

Pat Narduzzi could seem like a more realistic candidate given his ties to Michigan State where he acted as the team’s defensive coordinator for several years.

But sort of like Fickell, I can’t imagine Narduzzi wanting to give up what he has going at Pitt, which finished 8-5 last year and was competitive in the ACC Coastal Division.

His incoming recruiting class is ranked one spot behind Michigan State’s. So he wouldn’t really be getting to coach more talent.

Blake Anderson

To me, Blake Anderson is a solid long-shot betting option.

Anderson is the current head coach of Arkansas State, a low-profile program in a low-profile conference.

He must be a uniquely desired candidate because his teams have been one of the nation’s most successful in terms of scoring offense.

Dantonio was the (deserved) recipient of tremendous ire from Spartan nation for merely shuffling the coaching staff last offseason.

So nothing changed and Michigan State’s offense continued to be fairly unwatchable.

It would be hoped that Anderson brings that positive change with his proven track record on offense.

As evident from his talks in December with Missouri, he's also looking to join even a not-so-competitive Power Five school, which would be a step up for his career because of the prestige factor.

Arkansas State has the 94th-ranked recruiting class coming in. So he’d get to coach greater talent.

Mike Tressel

Tressel is currently favored at BetOnline to take the job.

He has already been named interim head coach.

Tressel already knows the ins-and-outs of the program as he’s spent 13 years at Michigan State where he’s served as assistant head coach, linebacker coach, and defensive coordinator.

If Michigan State can’t find its desired candidate, Tressel is a reliable option.

Consider, also, that in addition to a bare cupboard in terms of recruiting, Michigan State could face some NCAA violations.

Dantonio retired amidst these violations. So they could be serious. And they could deter an outside coaching candidate, which means that Tressel would almost definitely be named head coach at least for 2020.

The Verdict

Anderson is a nice long-shot candidate given his track record especially on offense and given his willingness to join even an uncompetitive Power Five school. You can invest a little in Anderson in hope of a sweet payout.

But given Michigan State’s current status — its poor recruiting and looming NCAA violations, Tressel at plus money is my best pick.

Best Bet: Mike Tressel (+110) with BetOnline

What would Fickell gain? About $3 million a year. He's the next coach. It's a top 25 job, he ain't passing it up.

So, last night all the MSU 'insiders' said done deal. Today, it's 'in negotiations'. On the other side, Fickell is set to sign a new contract next week I believe and someone close there said he told assistants yesterday he's staying. Always interesting...

I wonder if Fickell would be a hotter/more highly regarded name if he didn't go 6-6 as interim coach for OSU that one year. He didn't do a good job, but it was an impossible situation and he really wasn't ready for it at the time.

His work at Cincy has been very impressive.

I wonder if Fickell would be a hotter/more highly regarded name if he didn't go 6-6 as interim coach for OSU that one year. He didn't do a good job, but it was an impossible situation and he really wasn't ready for it at the time.

His work at Cincy has been very impressive.
He would be a hotter name, no doubt. He was NOT good then, at all and people can easily look at the before and after records to validate that. This time around he is a much better all around coach/recruiter etc it seems.

Bad decision by fickell to stay in Cincy
I don't know if I agree. He is pretty stable at Cincy. The climate in E Lansing is so volatile right now. If the clouds weren't looming so heavy I think it would be a good move. But given the circumstances, I think I would stay put if I were him. He may never get another chance like this, but he is gambling on himself. Something we all know too well. He is making good money and could be considered the best coach in that league now.

It’s a good gamble to make — Fickell gambling on himself — given the quality of recruits and lesser competition. Like BAR noted he may very well get a higher-profile Power Five job.

Without looking I gotta think Tressel is chalk now.

#1 he’d probably double his money. Go from 3-6 million. That’s a lot of money for a guy with a bunch of kids.
#2 it’s a top 5 big ten job. Michigan is probably not happening for him so unless psu or Wisky opens up he’s not coaching in the big ten.
#3 he’s already recruiting what would be his base, Ohio guys that osu doesn’t want.
#4whatever is going on now will blow over. Unless it’s more serious than what Ive read there won’t be serious sanctions.
#5 the whole reason you coach Cincy is so you can leave for a real job. Cincy is a truck stop.

Urban is on record stating ND is the only job he would leave what he was doing to take.

I was just joking about Urban/SC.

I know Urban had an out clause for OSU and ND a long time ago but I don't recall any recent quotes of that nature. Can you point me to where he said this?

I was just joking about Urban/SC.

I know Urban had an out clause for OSU and ND a long time ago but I don't recall any recent quotes of that nature. Can you point me to where he said this?
Google it. He has stated on numerous occasions that it is his "dream" job.

Point being, ND will not take Fickell over Urban. If you believe they will, we'll just cut this off and agree to disagree.

Google it. He has stated on numerous occasions that it is his "dream" job.

Point being, ND will not take Fickell over Urban. If you believe they will, we'll just cut this off and agree to disagree.

Yikes. As I said, my post was a joke. No need to get so fired up about this.

Thanks for the helpful pointer to Google - much appreciated! I see one mention of something Urban said on a radio show in *2008*. I had asked for something "recent". Cause ya know... things change, life evolves, the college football globe turns, etc. etc. I wouldn't hold Urban to something he said this morning let alone something he said on a radio show 10+ years ago. I always thought the misguided Urban to ND fantasy was propagated by ND fans because he had a buyout clause while at UF for OSU, mich, and ND. Which doesnt mean a whole lot as I feel pretty confident that Urban's dream job isn't michigan and he wont be coaching there. Also, he already chose the Gators over ND the first time. So much for the dream job. And a lot has changed since Urban made that decision way back when, none of it being positive for ND (it's even harder to win there now than it was in 2005). The old timers still hold ND in high regard but the current generation...not so much.

As for the imaginary and extremely unlikely scenario of Fickell and Urban beating down ND's door for the job and ND being forced to grant only one of these coaches their eternal wish to coach for them (LOL)...where did you come up with this? It certainly wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread (and I certainly never said that ND would take Fickell over Urban). Yet somehow you feel so strongly about something nobody even commented on that you need to walk away from the convo? Ok.

We're all just speculating and shooting the shit here. Urban was a done deal to SC, to the cowboys, the Browns and will be a done deal to every high profile job that opens up while he's still alive. It's great media fodder because every fan base eats it up. I think at this point we can just admit that we have no idea what he's going to do.

Last edited:
The "done deal" part of Fickell apparently came from someone who was looking at Fickells oldest son's IG (something to that effect). Journalism at it's finest.

Know who I think would be good there? He wouldn’t do it obviously and mayyyybe not his “area” per se.....

Peterson

Tucker is going to have the 9th highest assistant pool in America.

Tucker makes more than Dantni every did.

Tucker may make more than Izzo.

This is wild.

If Colorado hires Eric Bieniemy to replace Tucker that would have the potential to be one great upgrade assuming Bieniemy has learned from Andy Reid.

If Colorado hires Eric Bieniemy to replace Tucker that would have the potential to be one great upgrade assuming Bieniemy has learned from Andy Reid.
Still waiting for the “expert” on bad coaches to weigh on why Tucker was so bad at CU. *insert well we’re waiting gif*

Tucker is going to have the 9th highest assistant pool in America.

Tucker makes more than Dantni every did.

Tucker may make more than Izzo.

This is wild.
Whether the hire works or not, the fact that Sparty is finally committing resources is a big step

Still waiting for the “expert” on bad coaches to weigh on why Tucker was so bad at CU. *insert well we’re waiting gif*

Tucker has been a mediocre defensive coordinator for years and he did a poor job at Colorado. For one thing he didn't know how to use Shevault his All American playmaker. Maybe he will prove the naysayers wrong and do a good job but my bet is that he is fired in two years.

Whether the hire works or not, the fact that Sparty is finally committing resources is a big step
Next is to start paying the lawsuit victims with all this money they are throwing around. In all honesty though, Dantni wasn't ever willing to make staff changes so who knows if they were willing to go for a high priced OC for example.

I did see Vince Marrow us staying at Kentucky. He's a recruiting force and would help at some key schools in metro Detroit...the guy plays dirty too.

Tucker has been a mediocre defensive coordinator for years and he did a poor job at Colorado. For one thing he didn't know how to use Shevault his All American playmaker. Maybe he will prove the naysayers wrong and do a good job but my bet is that he is fired in two years.
Tucker was smart though he has a provision in his contract that if (when) they get hit with sanctions he actually gets an extension in his contract.

I will put this out there and you can all laugh if I'm proven wrong but I predict that Tucker never wins 6 games at MSU.

I will put this out there and you can all laugh if I'm proven wrong but I predict that Tucker never wins 6 games at MSU.
Definitely not next year. They would need some magic in the portal. 4-5 is the ceiling. We'll see what kind of recruiting bump he gets.

Ok, he didn’t use his frequently injured stud WR to your liking. If that’s what you’re basing your “expertise” off of, fine man.

This will wrap up my thoughts. I am skeptical that this guy is a good coach schematically. But I do know he can motivate and recruit. He also is working with a good chunk of change for his staff. Those factors alone have a high correlation to success in cfb these days. If he can delegate and operate in a way similar to how Orgeron does, he should have success. If he can’t delegate/needs to have his fingers on everything and doesn’t hire a strong staff, he will fail. Feels like it’s either going to go really well or really poorly with no in between imo

Ok, he didn’t use his frequently injured stud WR to your liking. If that’s what you’re basing your “expertise” off of, fine man.

This will wrap up my thoughts. I am skeptical that this guy is a good coach schematically. But I do know he can motivate and recruit. He also is working with a good chunk of change for his staff. Those factors alone have a high correlation to success in cfb these days. If he can delegate and operate in a way similar to how Orgeron does, he should have success. If he can’t delegate/needs to have his fingers on everything and doesn’t hire a strong staff, he will fail. Feels like it’s either going to go really well or really poorly with no in between imo

He has shown nothing to suggest that he will be successful but he will have the chance to prove the naysayers wrong and good for him if he does.

Back