James Wiseman

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I guess my thing here, is the ncaa already knew about this stuff last spring and basically said everything was okay?

GWarner27

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium
no it's not?

they may have just made themselves ineligible for the NCAA tournament (which they haven't been to in a while) if he remains ineligible in order to beat a team they were favored to beat by nearly 20 points

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
no it's not?

they may have just made themselves ineligible for the NCAA tournament (which they haven't been to in a while) if he remains ineligible in order to beat a team they were favored to beat by nearly 20 points
Yeah, it is good for recruiting..that's all I said. It is a plus there.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Listen guys, as stupid as the NCAA is...this shit is shrinking very very quick. They will win this eventually is my guess. Go ahead and keep on playing him. Stick it in their faces. I take this stance because the NCAA already knew this and cleared it in May. When you start messing with people's lives, that's not cool at all

RetroVK

A Brilliant Mind
What a joke this is. If the NCAA was doing their job they would have investigated the point shaving that went on at Memphis for years and that EVERYONE knew about.

Agree with the last line of BAR's post. You can't say it is ok and then wait for the start of the season and change your mind.

With that said, given it is Memphis, having the NCAA focus on you may not pan out well.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Very true on that part. If this is UNC etc, nothing to see here. And hey...2005 Memphis still holds a deep deep place in my heart.

braves

CTG Moderator
Staff member
MEMPHIS knows that people like Bilas and other people in the media will be on their side . No one supports the NCAA

tide is turning, basically everyone is saying FU to the NCAA ( why is Sean Miller still coaching).

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
MEMPHIS knows that people like Bilas and other people in the media will be on their side . No one supports the NCAA

tide is turning, basically everyone is saying FU to the NCAA ( why is Sean Miller still coaching).
Bingo

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Why is it a good move for recruiting?
Memphis is putting the student athlete before the NCAA. Wiseman could be the first pick. If he sits out this year he could slip a few spots. This is about future income. Recruits care about $$$. Penny and Memphis will be known as a players coaches/school. I already know the contra here is coming but I'll talk that part after it is posted...

braves

CTG Moderator
Staff member
No one thinks MEMPHIS / Hardaway are following any of the rules . No one probably cares in the grand scheme of things

if the NCAA does. Nothing, which seems likely since they dont want to face the barrage of ESPN talking heads for weeks then This is what college basketball will become . Just an extension of AAU

braves

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Memphis is putting the student athlete before the NCAA. Wiseman could be the first pick. If he sits out this year he could slip a few spots. This is about future income. Recruits care about $$$. Penny and Memphis will be known as a players coaches/school. I already know the contra here is coming but I'll talk that part after it is posted...
right , Memphis becomes an attractive pit stop for the 1 and dones

HUNT

CTG Partner

That makes sense, but if they are ineligible for the NCAAs do you guys think that hinders recruiting? Do the kids even care about ships or is it the NBA? Specifically top 15-20 guys.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I think in today's day and age, you answered your own question.... unfortunately.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Let's say the NCAA stays hard line here? Well.. it will basically be for this season. The future recruits won't care. Let's also mention the extra exposure this is getting Memphis.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Memphis won't, IMO, care about forfeits etc. They are not a tradition rich school...now the Chase Young situation... OSU fans are frightened about having that happen (which obviously won't) but let's put that into perspective.

braves

CTG Moderator
Staff member
Let's say the NCAA stays hard line here? Well.. it will basically be for this season. The future recruits won't care. Let's also mention the extra exposure this is getting Memphis.
And Wiseman, the casual sports fan had no clue who he was before yesterday