• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Hey, Believe (Eagles related)

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
You were right about Stallworth. From the Daily News:

"Team sources confirmed there is no chance of Garcia returning to the Eagles, and they also confirmed that the team is very unlikely to make an offer to pending free-agent wide receiver Donté Stallworth."

Hrumph.

why on earth this team is not looking to re-sign a reliable and proven backup in Garcia, and a very capable and talented #1 or #2 WR in Stallworth is beyond me..... i am puzzled....

A.J. Feeley as the #2 QB.... :down: :down:

The Garcia thing doesn't shock me. Apparently what the Eagles wanted Garcia and his agent to do was to come back to them with a price Jeff was willing to play for next year.

What Garcia's team wanted was a few days of free agency to see what offers were out there before they signed anything with the Birds. However, they consistently maintained that Garcia would take less money to stay in Philly.

All of this really wasn't the way the Eagles wanted to work and they'd been negotiating with Feeley simultainiously. They got a good deal with Feeley, never really thought they'd be able to give Garcia the money he would get somewhere else, so they signed AJ and now Garcia will walk.

Again, this doesn't shock me from any standpoint. Some of that isn't a good thing, because, yet again, the Eagles organization looks cold and cheap.

And they're going to look even moreso when they don't attempt to sign Stallworth.

Now, Believe said the other day that Stallworth is really looking to break the bank on this contract--which he's fully entitled to do. That said, if that's his goal, he and his agent should both know that won't be happening in Philly. I actually think he's with Drew Rosenhaus, so him trying to get big money wouldn't shock me, but again, if that's the case, he's gone from Philly because their days of overpaying anybody are gone and they never lasted long to begin with.

The Eagles have a very set way of doing what they do as far as contracts. As a fan it's maddening at times, but it's their way and as Garcia's agent said, it's successful. It's kept them under the cap and kept most of the guys they really value on the team.

If eagles elect to let Donte Stallworth walk. Then first round i think they try to get Robert Mecham from Tennessee. Or a receiver with his kind of numbers.

Unlikely, Frankie. The Eagles never like to go receiver that high. They like to go D-line or O-line. In this case, though, what I think they might do is look to their secondary. Because they're going to let saftey Michael Lewis walk and they're not as deep at CB as they used to be.

If they let Stallworth go it'll be partially money, but it will also be because they think either Hank Baskett or Jason Avant can step up and fill the void. Baskett had a pretty solid rookie season last year and I imagine the thinking in Philly is to model it after the Patriots receiving corps over the last few years. No one big stud, just three guys who can find spots and hold onto the football.

The Eagles still might have deep speed with Brown, Lewis, or Baskett, one might turn into that guy, but mostly what I think they want and believe they have are three guys (out of the four possible, Brown, Lewis, Baskett, Avant) who can be enough of a corps.

Again, this is me speculating, but I imagine they believe they don't need a high-priced number one not just because they're expensive, but because they have Westbrook out of the backfield who's extremely dangerous, and because they have LJ Smith at TE who is a big matchup problem for a lot of teams.

So, whether it's like the Pats with Brady or the Rams with Kurt Warner, I think the plan is to put it all on Donovan's shoulders and let him spread the ball around. To do that,you need multiple options all over the place, and to afford that you can't tie up too much money in one guy, you have to spread it around and hope second or third tier guys all step up and make plays.

That is a good point Joe. I must of typed without thinking lol, sorry. I realized the same thing CB lacks depth. I think Daymeion Hughes would be a solid pick up for them in the first round. He has good speed and size. I like the way he plays too very physical and a great open field tackler.

Joe what do you think Stallworth will want in terms of money?

It may be worth it for the eagles to keep him because of his valuable expierence. I love the way he is able to find weak spots in zones and just sit in there. I think that is how he was able to become very successful with the eagles in just a short time.

Well, Believe posted this yesterday, "Stallworth wants some OUTRAGEOUS offer including 16mil up front." I haven't heard that, but if it's true I'm sure Joe Banner will be out front warming up the car to drive Donte to the airport.

The free agent crop this year seems to be somewhat thin so Stallworth really may make some good money. What's funny about that is that other than T.O., very few WR free agents have ever panned out for their new teams performance-wise. Even this year, look at Brandon Lloyd and Randel El for the Skins.

But if this is Stallworth's opportunity to cash in, then there's no way to fault the guy for it.

I would like to see the Eagles re-sign him, too, maybe not so much for his ability to get open, but for his ability to get behind guys and be an accepted threat.

The problem the Eagles had before T.O. was that even when they had decent receivers, nobody feared them. Stallworth is a guy you won't gameplan around, but who is someone that can hurt you, and teams know it. The Saints knew it when they let him go, they were just desperately thin at LB and were willing to take a gamble on Colston.

You won't ever hear me say that Stallworth is a number one guy. He's no Steve Smith, he's no T.O., or Chad Johnson. But he is a top second teir guy and those are the guys who, every season, will have one, maybe two games, where they blow up for huge numbers.

But that's assuming you have someone to get them the ball and that they're not the only capable receiver on the field. That right there narrows the options of teams they'll succeed with. And what further shrinks that number is the price tag.

I know Philly would like to have him back, I know New England would like to bring him in. But neither team is going to pay him like a number one guy and it could be a situation where Drew Rosenhaus, again, over-plays a hand and Stallworth ends up landing in like Houston or something and is never heard from again.

I really want to see the Eagles keep Stallworth but I know its not gonna happen especialy with "No Comment" as his agent...The Eagles put absoloutely no value in the wide reciever position even though there was dynamic difference to their offense when they had speed in their lineup at wideout with TO and Stallworth because it really helped to spread the field for guys like Westbrook, LJ, and Reggie Brown...I really like Reggie Brown and think hes a very good reciever but I dont think he is a #1...I did like the way Baskett has been progressing and I loved watching Avant at Michigan I thought he was an absoloute stud even though he wasnt the fastest guy hes got great hands and can catch everything

Eagles back to their stingy ways and Im sure the draft will go DL/OL/DL/OL just like it always does Lol...Im really hoping they go for Linebacker/Safety they need some Ball Hawks on that defensive side of the ball which is something with the exception of B Dawk they really seem to be lacking...I really feel like thats something that is missing from their defense which they had in their Superbowl year when they forced alot of turnovers...Of course some of it is right place right time type of thing but they didnt force much of anything last year and I can only imagine how good this team could be if their defense was getting this offense more possesions...Im actually really disappointed that Rod Hood will be out the door as well but this is the way the Eagles do business...Anyone miss Burgess??

I haven't had a chance to read all the comments in this thread, but I will later tonight.

They WILL NOT retain Stallworth. He is over-priced definately. No reason to pay a guy THAT high, who battled injuries his entire career.

As for Garcia, they tried getting a 2yr contract done, but it didn't work out. I like AJ, but w/ McNabb off that serious injury, I can't see how it's gauranteed that he'll be 100% for his 07-08 return. If McNabb is fully healthy, I'd be content w/ AJ. But since he's not, I think Garcia would be worth the money.

Around the league:

I'm hearing Garcia to either Tampa or Denver. In Tampa, he'd compete for the #1 job with Simms. In Denver, he'd backup Cutler, and Denver would release or trade Plummer.

In Seattle, the Seahawks are shopping Darrell Jackson. They are looking for a 3rd or 2nd round pick. They won't get a 2nd. But I'm sure the Eagles are looking at this guy, as a potential #1 WR for the team. He is a talent. If they can get him for a 4th, I think they will do it.

The Garcia thing doesn't shock me. Apparently what the Eagles wanted Garcia and his agent to do was to come back to them with a price Jeff was willing to play for next year.

What Garcia's team wanted was a few days of free agency to see what offers were out there before they signed anything with the Birds. However, they consistently maintained that Garcia would take less money to stay in Philly.

All of this really wasn't the way the Eagles wanted to work and they'd been negotiating with Feeley simultainiously. They got a good deal with Feeley, never really thought they'd be able to give Garcia the money he would get somewhere else, so they signed AJ and now Garcia will walk.

Again, this doesn't shock me from any standpoint. Some of that isn't a good thing, because, yet again, the Eagles organization looks cold and cheap.

And they're going to look even moreso when they don't attempt to sign Stallworth.

Now, Believe said the other day that Stallworth is really looking to break the bank on this contract--which he's fully entitled to do. That said, if that's his goal, he and his agent should both know that won't be happening in Philly. I actually think he's with Drew Rosenhaus, so him trying to get big money wouldn't shock me, but again, if that's the case, he's gone from Philly because their days of overpaying anybody are gone and they never lasted long to begin with.

The Eagles have a very set way of doing what they do as far as contracts. As a fan it's maddening at times, but it's their way and as Garcia's agent said, it's successful. It's kept them under the cap and kept most of the guys they really value on the team.

I think the perception that the Eagles are cheap is wrong, though. Last 2 years, we've overpaid for the 2 best D linemen available (a need we always seem to need): Kearse and Howard.

And some players they've let go in the past, which the fans deemed bad moves, were actually good. Ike Reese and Shawn Barber come to mind. Those guys did nothing when they left. Hell, even Trotter declined at EXACTLY the same point they didn't decide to pay him a lot.

If eagles elect to let Donte Stallworth walk. Then first round i think they try to get Robert Mecham from Tennessee. Or a receiver with his kind of numbers.

With the talent in the upper-level Safety's and D-Linemen in this year's draft, I think they will go that direction, unless they move up. A decent WR can be had in a later round.

That is a good point Joe. I must of typed without thinking lol, sorry. I realized the same thing CB lacks depth. I think Daymeion Hughes would be a solid pick up for them in the first round. He has good speed and size. I like the way he plays too very physical and a great open field tackler.

Joe what do you think Stallworth will want in terms of money?

It may be worth it for the eagles to keep him because of his valuable expierence. I love the way he is able to find weak spots in zones and just sit in there. I think that is how he was able to become very successful with the eagles in just a short time.

I'm hearing he wants 16mil AT LEAST up front. With his injuries, it's just not a wise signing. He missed 1/2 the year in 06-07, and has missed time w/ the Saints.

I agree that at times the perception is wrong, and, too, that it works more often than not--although, yes, I miss Burgess as well.

The problem is that the Eagles are so ridiculously professional about it all that it comes off as cold and in such a passionate atmosphere like the one Birds' fans create, that's a bad thing.

I think that's why there seems to be, at times, this disconnect between the team and the fans. Because the fans want to win, but they also want it done the Philly way. Whereas the team seems like sometimes they don't care how it happens.

They also don't manage their message very well. They didn't handle the T.O. situation well, the only reason they came off sympathetic was because T.O. and Drew hung themselves with all the rope the Eagles gave them. But they haven't handled McNabb all that well, they didn't handle the Andy Reid thing all that well, and now Garcia and his agent are killing this team in the press.

I know it's a little thing, but these little things add up, especially when people can pile them onto the bigger mistakes like wasted draft picks or letting guys like Burgess walk.

I'm hearing he wants 16mil AT LEAST up front. With his injuries, it's just not a wise signing. He missed 1/2 the year in 06-07, and has missed time w/ the Saints.

He may only be able to get that kind of money in fantasyland. That is ridiculous to pay him that type of money. I think only the redskins would be dumb enough to give him that type of money. Isn't that almost what peyton manning got as a signing bonus? This draft is abnormally deep in reciever and in defensive linemen so i guess they could see which position has the better player available at the time.

Philly Phans out in Phorce...lol

Stallworth did his work in a contract year...remember that. If it isn't right price its best in future IMO. He will become an overpaid bust somewhere.

Two teams that were rumored to be interested in Stallworth - the Pats and 49ers - have already signed other players to huge contracts (Thomas and Clements) so that bodes a little better for the Eagles since that will bring his price down...

Only thing is I really think the Birds value the third round pick theyd have to give up if they re-signed him more than him (they owe the saints a fourth rounder if they dont re-sign him)

True, Smoke, but the Niners have a ton of money and I've heard they're not done. But I've also read that Stallworth isn't next on their list--and they did just sign Michael Lewis.

I also think you're right about the Eagles value that pick a great deal, particularly because that would be in addition to whatever they pay the guy.

I think the Birds are in that classic position of really wanting the guy back, but wanting him back at like ten cents on the dollar which, in most cases, is really unrealistic.

Have you seen anybody report anybody the Birds are even interested in?

I mean I know they hold their cards tight to the vest so to speak, but this is rediculous

Everything I read says they've yet to schedule anybody for a visit.

I don't really see them going after anybody except perhaps Stallworth now that there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest for the guy. I don't know if that's because it's now being reported he's in the NFL's substance abuse program, because Rosenhaus has his price tag too high, or both, but he might be available.

I read Corey Dillion, but he'd be a backup and, again, he's not scheduled to come into Philly.

At this point, honestly, if they'd just bring back Stallworth and Buckhalter I'd be really happy.

yeah i believe the eagles might be looking at WR in the draft, so the Stallworth move makes sense.....although I still wish they'd resign him

And bringing Dillon in would be amazing, thats just me being a fan though

Apparently that clause for the draft pick in the trade with NO was that if the eagles signed him before free agency, theyd have to give up a third...since they didnt, even if they do re-sign him now, it will only be a fourth goin to the saints

Everything is right with the world again!

We got a big time Free Agent reciever to fill Stallworths void!!

Let the BETHEL JOHNSON era begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly.

Bethel Johnson. Our worries are over. Thank God.

Ack.

Word today is that the Titans extended him an offer, and I think right now he's in Miami talking to the fish. For whatever reason I still don't think he's going to either of those places, though Tennessee might make sense--oh, and if he does go to Tennessee my guess is you never hear from him again.

We should know tomorrow, but the Bethel Johnson thing doesn't bode well.

I knew they were meeting with Curtis, but I think it would be a minor miracle if they signed him.

He's the guy that's sort of fallen through the cracks in this whole thing because he got pissed Condon couldn't get a deal with the Lions immediately. So he fired that guy the next day.

Well, that's great, but by rule he now has to wait five days before a new guy takes over (why I have no idea). So he just went on his visits all by himself and has been flying blind in this thing for a week.

I think when an agent gets on board (he's got someone, someone pretty good, too, but I forget his name), Curtis is going to want too much money.

But you're right, he'd be an excellent fit because he's just like Stallworth only, if I'm not mistaken, younger. And less prone to injury.

Bethel Johnson. Seriously, it's like bringing in Jabar Gaffney all over again. Where's James Thrash at, did they consider him for a third go 'round?

do you really think that would be a good idea... again... haha.

Well, it worked out so well the first time.

Of course, I hear they're scheduled to bring in Charles Johnson for a look one mo' 'gen, so maybe Thrash won't even get the chance.

=)

Back