• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] First we'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we have experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Fox analyst picks Texas to win Big 12

TahoeLegend

Not sure how Joel Klatt is at picking conference champs, but he is one of the best TV talking heads at picking upsets ATS.

He picks Texas as Big 12 champ.

Won't surprise me. Texas is one of my surprise teams this year and I expected to make a lot of money on them, but looks like everyone else knows they are on the verge of being great again. I noticed the opening line on Texas made a big jump when people started betting real money. I guess all the pickers like them to make a move this year.

Still questions at QB and RB, but should take a step up in class and a lot of those close losses should go the other way this year.

And while everyone is picking Oklahoma, there is no way Kyler Murray will be as good as Mayfield.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...onghorns-football-big-12-champions-prediction

Last edited:
I remember liking their cornerbacks a lot last season but unfortunate losses to injury/suspension. On offense, I their most talented receiver Collin Johnson can find consistency

tex-ASS has obviously recruited very well under Herman. he is a great coach and recruiter, both. when they hired him i became extremely concerned as a Sooner backer.

i predicted to buddies that by his 3rd year (2019), he would have them in the Top 2 of the conference again and by the 4th year (2020) he would have them on the national scene as a perennial Top 10 team contending for the playoff.

Not sure how Joel Klatt is at picking conference champs, but he is one of the best TV talking heads at picking upsets ATS.

He picks Texas as Big 12 champ.

Won't surprise me. Texas is one of my surprise teams this year and I expected to make a lot of money on them, but looks like everyone else knows they are on the verge of being great again. I noticed the opening line on Texas made a big jump when people started betting real money. I guess all the pickers like them to make a move this year.

Still questions at QB and RB, but should take a step up in class and a lot of those close losses should go the other way this year.

And while everyone is picking Oklahoma, there is no way Kyler Murray will be as good as Mayfield.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...onghorns-football-big-12-champions-prediction

Kyler doesn't have to worry about defenders in this conference.

Kyler doesn't have to worry about defenders in this conference.

Right. and he only has to be 60-70% as good as Baker and the O will then be quite strong. and like you said, it's not like the teams in this conf can stop anyone. OU and tex-ASS the only teams that can really play any kind of D in this conference. the other schools just try to load up on offensive talent to offset what they cannot do on D

Sure hope the clones can still play defense and run Montgomery, that's all they've got

To say OU and UT are the only teams that play defense is laughable at best, tell that to TCU

And Texas will by FAR be the best defense in the big 12 this season, it won't be close...the poor defenses in this league tend to be a product of the offenses scoring too fast and not giving the D any rest....that could be an issue with Texas I guess compared to last season as I expect them to score a bit more frequently, but that defense is legit

Right. and he only has to be 60-70% as good as Baker and the O will then be quite strong. and like you said, it's not like the teams in this conf can stop anyone. OU and tex-ASS the only teams that can really play any kind of D in this conference. the other schools just try to load up on offensive talent to offset what they cannot do on D

What about TCU?

Lead Big 12 in total defense, UT 2nd, ISU 3rd, OU 4th

Scoring and passing defense probably hurt OU but again those are likely products of scoring so frequently

I watched Kyler in high school. There's a lot like him, man among boys in high school. I watched his daddy play at A&M. Thing with Kyler, Allen has men among boys on their lines. I was a big supporter of Kyler, but when you see him against an Alabama that speed isn't as much as it seemed. Granted , that happens to a lot of 'Bama opponents. He's got to be able to dump/flip it on the run. Ags were in such a bad place then and rcvrs just standing there, didn't help much. I think he would be serviceable .
If he could be his dad....

Ah, the season is upon us. 8 years of mediocrity playing .500 football and you think it would have me looking for a ledge. Not (yet).

Sure feels like we’re going to see a lot of 27-20 type games this year. Defense will be very good. But we’ve got 2 medicare QBs that we rely upon not to lose games instead of winning them, no proven RBs or TE and a ton of inconsistency at WR. Decent line, but not sure how there’s going to be a lot of points put up.

Herman seems like he has things on the right track. He’s prone to some douche-like behavior but he gives Texas fans real reason to feel good about the direction of the program. Never said that when Brown was mailing it in over his last 4 seasons and then Strong was over his head from day 1.

We’ll see. Regardless, the season is upon us. And it’s only 104 in Austin today. Good news all around!

I agree, Frank.

The most astounding thing about the Texas slump to me is the lack of RBs. The state of Texas has been packed with RBs my entire life. And UT has had great RBs my entire life until lthe last few years, with plenty of others left over for OU and the rest of the Big 12. Four of the top five rushers in OU history--7 of the top 10--are from Texas.

I see how a school can miss on a QB, but I don't see how the Texas Longhorns can possibly fail to have a loaded backfield every year.

I see how a school can miss on a QB, but I don't see how the Texas Longhorns can possibly fail to have a loaded backfield every year.

Well, some of us also can't see how Texas has missed, and missed, on QBs as well. We haven't had a good one since the year Michael Jackson died. And if that seems like a long time ago, well, it is.

Good luck this season.

I agree, Frank.

The most astounding thing about the Texas slump to me is the lack of RBs. The state of Texas has been packed with RBs my entire life. And UT has had great RBs my entire life until lthe last few years, with plenty of others left over for OU and the rest of the Big 12. Four of the top five rushers in OU history--7 of the top 10--are from Texas.

Yeap. Uncle Barry Switzer recruited extremely well in Texas. Some of OUr greats at ALL positions were from Texas. Amazing state to recruit in..

It's an enormous state

This shouldn't be shocking. Miserable to fly over, driving across it is mental suicide

I still recall when Barry, OC at the time, talked Fairbanks into switching to the wishbone. It was mid-season and they put it in during an off week., Today's coaches would have a heart attack if they even thought about changing their basic offense during a bye week, but Oklahoma did it and ran the wishbone the rest of the year with some success, but nothing like they had the following year.

By the following season they had mastered it and it looked nothing like the Texas version. They routed Texas that year and after the game Royal was asked about how Oklahoma beat them so badly running the offense Texas invented. Royal said, "because we don't have a bunch of corvettes to pitch the ball to like they do."

No one had seen an offense like Barry had that year with stars at every position in the bone, and it was a long time before anyone figured out how to stop it.

Yes, OU had some absolute jets running on the flanks with their Wishbone - Pruitt, Washington, Sims, Peacock, Overstreet, Rhymes, and on.

I just recently watched the 72 neb/ou game (brutal loss for Neb in what was an ugly game and was Devaney's last regular season game) and the 78 neb/ou game which was the first time Osborne beat OU. Believe that was 70 when OU switched midseason. Saw highlights of that one which was a close Neb win, even though we were pretty heavy favorites, I believe. If you've never seen the 71 game, it's definitely worth your time.

I agree, Frank.

Well, talking RBs it could get really real for TX.
Stay with me...... IF if if IF, LSU can pull Tyrion(committed) AND alll reports are trending Emery stays home now( still a Lil scared, but at least LSU has made up ground IN state no less) as a Tiger fan I'd be happy to see LA native Cain got to UT......LSU wants Emery way way more( me too, he is the shit) and he has skyrocketed up the charts.

NEXT cycle tho, Texas better be careful. If LSU can raid Northshore HS again and take Zachary Evans, Texas maybe looking at not only the best RB in TX walking on em, but the best player period. AND some other RBs are looking elsewhere too

I think that 71 game--Game of the Century as every media outlet and most of the country called it--was the most eagerly anticipated game in college football history.

All year long both teams just annihilated every team they played. Everyone knew all year long that game was going to be for the national title.

Big loss for college football when Nebraska left and that series ended.

'71, was that when Jonny Rodgers took the punt in for a TD just before the end of the 1st?

We were at my grandmothers , about to play down at the local high school field, my uncle was asking he be stopped. I asked why. He said he had 0-0.
First time I ever heard of squares.

'71, was that when Jonny Rodgers took the punt in for a TD just before the end of the 1st?

We were at my grandmothers , about to play down at the local high school field, my uncle was asking he be stopped. I asked why. He said he had 0-0.
First time I ever heard of squares.

Yes, it was.

Was early in the quarter though.

Hmmm, it was the only time I was in the house and that play happened. He was great to watch. I figured the rout was on. I was more interested in juking and jiving my families defenses.

Well, some of us also can't see how Texas has missed, and missed, on QBs as well. We haven't had a good one since the year Michael Jackson died. And if that seems like a long time ago, well, it is.

Good luck this season.

Some Legacy players hurt

Back