• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Florida vs LSU Betting Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Oddsmakers currently have LSU favored by 13 points against Florida. I recommend betting on LSU -13.

In many ways, Florida had it predictably easy last week against Auburn. Bo Nix entered the game with a passer rating of five when facing pressure and Florida's defense was one of the best in creating pressure.

Nix isn't an accurate downfield passer anyways. During the game, he missed open wide receivers on countless first downs and multiple touchdowns, not including one bobbled by his wide receiver into the hands of a defender.

Joe Burrow couldn't be more different than Bo Nix. He has the highest PFF grade on pass attempts of at least 10 yards downfield, going 57-for-77 for 1,285 yards and 16 touchdowns. Burrow boasts the nation's highest adjusted completion percentage. He also enjoys the highest passer rating under pressure, the fifth-highest when the pocket is clean, fourth-highest both with and without play-action, and second-highest on deep passes.

Skeptics could say that LSU has had an easy schedule so far and that Florida's pass defense is very good, ranking 18th nationally.

But one can apply the same train of skepticism to Florida. The Gators have faced Jarren Williams, Sawyer Smith, the benched Jarrett Guarantano, Bo Nix plus Towson and UT-Martin quarterbacks. Not exactly a group of Heisman candidates.

So let's dig deeper. The schedule quip doesn't apply to Burrow's passer rating under pressure because pressure is pressure. He's also one of the nation's leaders in PFF big-time throws, which measures distance downfield, ball location, accuracy, and fitting into tight windows. Given these details about his accuracy, the schedule quip sounds unfair.

Burrow has plenty of high-caliber targets. Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, and Terrace Marshall Jr. each have at least 20 receptions and average over 15 YPR. Of these three, I think Chase can do the most damage. He combines sufficient blow-by speed with physicality and strength and he's a precise route-runner.

High-caliber receivers have already given Florida considerable trouble. One example is Kentucky's Lynn Bowden, who tied a season-best seven receptions in his game against Florida. He's built just like Chase and is qualitatively similar to him. And these LSU receivers have Burrow throwing to them.

While C.J. Henderson and Marco Wilson will have their hands full, one definite area of weakness in Florida's secondary is Trey Dean. He's grown notorious for his poor hips, which are important for changing direction, and for his lack of speed in coverage. Last year, he consistently graded (by PFF) as one of Florida's worst defenders and his struggles this year were apparent even against Towson.

Another weakness in pass defense is Florida's linebackers, who are much more solid attacking the line of scrimmage than dropping back into coverage. From film-watching, it's apparent that Kentucky had a plan, that it carried out well, to exploit Florida's linebackers by targeting them (especially David Reese) in coverage. The Tigers can do a lot underneath and over the top of the middle of the field against the likes of Dean and Reese.

Florida backers may still counter that Burrow's grade under pressure will drop after facing this Florida defense and they'll cite last year for support.

Last year, though, was in The Swamp where the hostile environment was extremely difficult for LSU's offense. Plus, Burrow and LSU's offense were not the same.

Besides Burrow's improved accuracy, LSU's offensive line is restocked with all its key pieces with one example being Ed Ingram, who did not play in last year's game. The Tigers have allowed less than half the number of sacks than they did through five games last year.

In general, the offense is completely different in that it's innovative and modern. Its high tempo that averages just over two minutes per touchdown drive and general predication on speed in space will challenge Florida's pass rush because it's difficult to attack the quarterback with out-of-breath personnel. The Tiger tempo is also a nice tool for a larger spread because LSU is effectively giving itself more time to widen its lead.

One thing that Florida lacks is offensive balance. LSU has an o-line that ranks 15th in opportunity rate, a metric which measures an offensive line's helpfulness towards the run game.

Conversely, the Gators' rebuilding and very inexperienced offensive line is one of the nation's worst in several regards. Based on the metrics, it's one of the least effective in helping its running back move forward, ranking, for example, 113 spots behind the Tigers in opportunity rate. While an 88-yard touchdown run against Auburn makes its rush numbers look prettier, UF has shown even against its worst opponents that it can't reliably move the ball on the ground.

The Gators also rank in the bottom half in sack rate allowed. To help themselves, communication will be key. But they'll face an extremely noisy, 100,000-man environment that will also challenge their composure. Kyle Trask, whose mobility may be limited by an MCL sprain that he suffered last week, will have to make quicker decisions while contending with LSU's 27th-best pass rush by sack rate.

While Florida likes to count on its depth at wide receiver, LSU's secondary has answers with Grant Delpit, whom tight ends regularly struggle against and who is generally lauded by NFL scouts for his versatility and elite ball skills.

Another answer is Derek Stingley, who leads the SEC in opposing completion rate at 42 percent and in passes defensed. Kary Vincent Jr. is also strongly trending upwards. This group ranks 34 spots behind Florida in pass defense, but is much more well-tested by higher-profile quarterbacks.

The match-up favors LSU, whose balance on offense, tempo, stacked quality at wide receiver and quarterback all amount to a potent offensive attack that can amass many points in a hurry. On defense, the Tigers have the tools with their pass rush and secondary to limit Florida's one-dimensional offense.

This is also a bad situational spot for Florida. Dating back to 2010, the last 12 ranked teams to upset a ranked team at home and then face another ranked team as an underdog the following week are 1-11 SU and 4-8 ATS.

Last edited:
Few things here:

We need to mention the FLA tight end. Expect our 5 star ATH to spy him in the defense....but that will be one too watch...
You almost have to mention Stingley Jr 1st. This kid is the absolute deal and is every bit the number 1 rated CB coming out. Ask many LSU fans and Delpit seems to be eyeing NFL....I don’t blame the kid, he stands to make millions. It’s tough but wish he had more Devin White in him. I’m not saying he’s lacking but the tackling is pretty weak....now, he’s never gonna be out of position lol but the topic has been talked about. His play this year....but this a biggie so wanna see him shine

I have to ask how Kary Vincent is trending upward?
Our other 5 star CB Kristian Fulton has been moved to the slot because he has been awful.
Cordale Flott has been the other CB since last game....true freshman.

Good write up tho VC

Few things here:

We need to mention the FLA tight end. Expect our 5 star ATH to spy him in the defense....but that will be one too watch...
You almost have to mention Stingley Jr 1st. This kid is the absolute deal and is every bit the number 1 rated CB coming out. Ask many LSU fans and Delpit seems to be eyeing NFL....I don’t blame the kid, he stands to make millions. It’s tough but wish he had more Devin White in him. I’m not saying he’s lacking but the tackling is pretty weak....now, he’s never gonna be out of position lol but the topic has been talked about. His play this year....but this a biggie so wanna see him shine

I have to ask how Kary Vincent is trending upward?
Our other 5 star CB Kristian Fulton has been moved to the slot because he has been awful.
Cordale Flott has been the other CB since last game....true freshman.

Good write up tho VC

Twink I read multiple reports of Vincent having a great bounce-back game against Utah State. I‘m wrong?

If you’re asking if he looked better last week....well yea. I hope so. He’s arguably the fastest guy out there so he hope he can keep up with Utah St WRs, no dis

Can't wait for this one. ESPN's The Bear noted that teams pulling the Top 10 upset then playing as an underdog the next week are like 1-10 SU and 3-8 ats. Only Ole Miss beating Bama then at A&M a few years ago have done it.

The secondary has gone through a lot of experimentation following the loss of Todd Harris early in the season. The bye week allowed the implementation of a new approach designed to maximize the production of our available players. Barring additional injuries the defense should look more like an LSU defense as the season progresses. My understanding is that Fulton was moved inside to allow the younger guys to use the sideline to help assist them in their man coverage matchups.

Seems like everyone on LSU, don’t think I have seen anyone say they were playing gators.

Seems like everyone on LSU, don’t think I have seen anyone say they were playing gators.

Whenever I see you express this sort of thought I always have the opposite experience. Just look at sportsinsights for more objective data Not that it matters at all. I see the spread % as 52 for Florida, 48 for LSU

Whenever I see you express this sort of thought I always have the opposite experience. Just look at sportsinsights for more objective data Not that it matters at all. I see the spread % as 52 for Florida, 48 for LSU

I’m certainly not saying it matters, I never really look at the percentages. It just all around forum world and tv/podcast world I Havnt seen anyone say they liked gators with the points. Just seemed odd to me, usually with a game of this magnitude with 2 top 10 teams tend to see differing opinions.

The secondary has gone through a lot of experimentation following the loss of Todd Harris early in the season. The bye week allowed the implementation of a new approach designed to maximize the production of our available players. Barring additional injuries the defense should look more like an LSU defense as the season progresses. My understanding is that Fulton was moved inside to allow the younger guys to use the sideline to help assist them in their man coverage matchups.
I can MAYBE buy that Corey Raymond LOVES Cordale Flott and trusts him early

You don’t think it had anything to do with Vincent?

The week leading up to the Vandy game Ryan Clark was asked about the secondary on local radio. He suggested he would move Fulton to give the young guys the assistance of the sideline to maximize the utilization of the talent. Not saying he had input to the staff but the Utah State game gave me the impression someone was listening.

Back