• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

EPL Sep 1 to 2 Plays from North of the Border

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Starting Bankroll: $10,000
Record: 22-25-4 -$2509.50
Totals 7-5-1
Big Plays: 0-1

Transfer deadline has passed but it doesn't mean the new signings will play a roll on Saturday.

Bolton vs Everton
Bolton 2.40
Draw 3.20
Everton 2.87

Bolton are coming off a convincing 3-0 victory over Reading last week, giving manager Sammy Lee his first victory as Bolton manager. They look to continue their recent play against Everton. Everton are looking to shake off an uninspiring 2 weeks where they've lost to Reading and with Blackburn. They did however pick up a new striker in Yakubu. Striker Andy Johnson is still goaless and perhaps a new partner and competition should encourage Andy. However, i think the main source of the attack is still Tim Cahill and James Vaughn who are still both out. This team is right now struggling to score. Then we have Bolton who finally found a way to produce a fluent attack. Striker Nicolas Anelka finally secured a long term extension with the club and is looking to score on the 10 year anniversary of the Reebok Stadium. Anelka also enjoy's playing against Everton and has scored against them in all the teams in England he's played for. Also the line is a little peculiar it should be a little bit more even but the books must be suggesting Bolton maybe worth a punt. I think Everton will continue to struggle this weekend. Manager David Moyes may shuffle the backline with Phil Jaglieka coming in. Bolton's backline is still rather shakey and can be beaten. I think they will perform at a high standard again today so this should be a good match to bet on. I feel Yakubu can make his presence known but without Tim Cahill i think they will struggle to keep up. Looks like Sammy Lee may have turned the tide and that a win on the 10 year anniversary at Reebok will be a huge morale booster.
Bet: Bolton -0.25 @ 2.125 $300 to win $337.50
Over 2.25 @ 1.85 $300 to win $255
Both teams to score @ 1.83 $300 to win $249
Prediction:
Bolton 2-1 Everton
Goal Scorers:
Bolton, Nicolas Anelka, Kevin Davies Everton, Yakubu

Fulham vs Tottenham
Fulham 3.20
Draw 3.20
Tottenham 2.20

Two teams that are going opposite ends in terms of play. Fulham started out great being unlucky to have lost against Arsenal opening day, then winning against Bolton, but now have suffered 2 straight losses that could of resulted in some points. To make matters worse they lost their vice captain Zat Knight to Aston Villa, full back Chris Baird is out of the match due to a suspension, Brian McBride is out till Christmas, and they still have long term injuries that are piling up. Nevertheless, Fulham will be quite content that they are back in London where they have had more success. Tottenham should of had a point in Manchester. Played well but for one striking moment it was lost. That is a positive sign for Martin Jol because his job is on the line every match. Good news is that Aaron Lennon will be featured in this match. His pace on the right wing is of extreme importance for the Tottenham match but don't expect to see him play 90mins. Its going to take sometime for him to regain match fitness. Michael Dawson is back in defense which is a huge lifeline because the Spurs have been to the bare bones at the backline after losing King and Kaboul. This is a London derby, though its not as luxurious as a Tottenham vs Arsenal or Chelsea its still a derby. In the past h2h's, 3 of the 10 matches played have actually had both teams score a goal. Last season Tottenham trashed Fulham 4-0 at the Cottage and drew 1-1, prior to those points Tottenham's last points at the Cottage were in 1992. However, new season, new situation, Fulham have just been an unlucky squad, a poor decision by the referee against Middlesboro, cost them at least a draw and an own goal and 90th minute winner against Villa cost them some more points. They have been a competitive squad and i stated in my previews at the start of the season, this will be a very difficult team to beat at the Cottage. So i'll keep by my stance. At first i thought i'd be all over Tottenham, but this isn't the same Spur's team yet. Lets see how they fare this game after displaying a very competitive spirit vs Manchester Utd at Old Trafford. If they can repeat that performance, we should see a Tottenham victory, if not, Fulham just might, just might get something here. I'm not also too keen on the Over. I think Tottenham's defense is coming along with Bale and Lee, they have played a couple games into the season and have a better understand of how they have to play to win games. This should be an interesting match up but i still think both sides my come up short.
Bet: NO BET
Predictions: Fulham 1-1 Tottenham
Goal Scorers: Fulham, David Healy Tottenham, Robbie Keane

Liverpool vs Derby
Liverpool 1.16
Draw 6.00
Derby 19.00

So I think we all know what the outcome is going to be here. Liverpool are still undefeated this season, they are coming off a convincing 4-0 victory against Toulouse to seal their passage into the Champions League. Rafa Benitez must be thinking, its ridiculous to be qualifying and has now set his sight at the EPL title as his top priority. Liverpool will be without Captain and Co-Captain Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, is that a problem? Absolutely not. This season's version of Liverpool is more stacked then ever so they can afford to lose both Gerrard and Carragher for a match like this. Benitez will have the luxury of selecting either Mascherano or Momo Sissoko to cover Gerrard while Carragher will be replaced by Sami Hyypia who scored vs Toulouse on Tuesday. Derby have looked absolutely miserable since their 2nd match, losing 3 in a row. Their attack looks absolutely stale and to lose against fellow new comers, Birmingham, at Pride Park is an embarrassment and a blow to the morale. Derby have absolutely no chance in this match and this is pretty much an exhibition. Expect Derby to play a counter attack roll and put all men behind the ball. I don't see any point betting this match, the odds are way too short for Liverpool but i also think they will play smart. I don't see a 4-0 trashing i think Benitez will do the same thing he did vs Sunderland, get a victory without any injuries. Play smart, why risk anything silly when its a relegation battler like Derby. Liverpool will go into the European qualifier break happy with 3 points, while Derby would like nothing more then to just lose by only 2 goals. We should see an interesting line up, i think this is a good chance for Benitez to rotate again with the likes of Crouch, Voronin, Babel and Benayoun. The past results between the two have shown Liverpool will win comfortably 2-0 and are happy with that. I think that is the smart thing. This should be a clean sheet game for Pool but whether or not they'll destroy Derby is another thing, how often do you see a 4-0 trashing from Pool? It happened this week doubt it will happen again. The line of -1.75 is suggesting someone is bound to get moosed.
Prediction:
Liverpool 3-0 Derby
Goal Scorers: Liverpool, Peter Crouch, Andriy Voronin, Xabi Alonso

Middlesbrough vs Birmingham
Middlesbrough 2.00
Draw 3.20
Birmingham 3.75

Well well well, look what one player has done for Middlesbrough. The signing of Mido has got to be the best thing manager Gareth Southgate has done in his tenure at Boro. The Egyptian has scored in both games he's played and has definitely been a major morale booster for a team that has started the season with plenty of defensive casualties. However, this is about to change. Julio Arca and Jonathan Woodgate are going to be featured in this match and should be able to solidify that very open Middlesbrough defense. Mido's current form has suggested that Yakubu's departure is all but a memory. Birmingham on the other hand have been a yo yo club this season. One minute they play inspirational, next moment they play garbage. They will be satisfied with their win over fellow relegation contenders Derby but now have a tough task playing at the Riverside. With captain Damien Johnson back, Birmingham have looked a little bit more convincing, but they still lack killer instinct in net. Yes they've scored in all but one game, the strikers are still having a little bit of a hard time adjusting to one another. The Blues backline is still in tatters, not every impressive at all and you really do not know what to expect from this squad. Both teams need to come out with a victory here, Boro will be thinking they need to beat teams like these to have any chance of competing in the top 10 and Birmingham will be hopeful to beat a team to fight off relegation. Both squads know how the comforts of home work and i think Boro will take advantage of it. I expect an open game with Boro taking the 3 points.
Bet: Middlesbrough -0.5 @ 2.125 $300 to win $337.50
Over 2.25 @ 1.925 $300 to win $277.50
Middlesbrough Over 1.5 Team goals @ 2.10 $300 to win $330
Prediction:
Middlesbrough 3-1 Birmingham
Goal Scorers: Middlesbrough, Mido, Fabio Rochemback, Tuncay Sanli Birmingham, Gary O'Connor

Last edited:
Newcastle vs Wigan
Newcastle 1.72
Draw 3.50
Wigan 4.75

Newcastle are still unbeaten can you believe that? They host Wigan who are suprisingly enough 3rd??? What on earth is going on here. Its still early days and that should soon change. Wigan have played only one real team in Everton. Other than that they've played only West Ham, Sunderland and Middlesbrough. Woopie. Nothing too fantastic there. I am still skeptical about Newcastle. I think most fans would agree that they really need Barton in the midfield. This team still lacks the creativity but i think manager Sam Allardyce has done a good job under such pressure from a big club. Former Newcastle player Antoine Sibierski is looking to get on the scoresheet again. He has 3 goals this season and has looked like a great pick up for Wigan. But come on lets face it, just how long does the partnership of Heskey and Sibierski expect to compete for the entire season? Well Wigan are in for a real treat when they play in St James' Park. I think Michael Owen ending his goal drought is a great sign for the club and himself. We should see a better offensive display from Newcastle this game.
Bet: Newcastle -0.75 @ 2.025 $300 to win $307.50
Newcastle Over 1.5 goals @ 1.84 $300 to win $252
Prediction:
Newcastle 3-1 Wigan
Goal Scorers: Newcastle, Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Alan Smith Wigan, Emile Heskey

Last edited:
Reading vs West Ham
Reading 2.20
Draw 3.20
West Ham 3.25

A game I have a hard time capping. Reading have been pretty awful the last few games. Steve Coppell's men have lacked discipline and an already small squad cannot afford to lose players via suspension. Seol Ki-Hyeon is now a Fulham player but Liam Rosenoir will join the club. Both teams have been hit hard with injuries, West Ham will have to cope without recent signing Kieron Dyer who has a potentially season sending leg break. Still no signs of Scott Parker of Freddie Ljungberg returning to the line up soon. This is another bottom half of the table clash that could go either way. I'm still at a shock at how Reading could suddenly falter after playing so well against Everton, Man Utd and Chelsea. They need to get a positive result here before more chaos begins. West Ham will want to make sure this visit to Madejski Stadium is nowhere close to the 6-0 trashing they received last year. I also think it will be far from it. We could see a high pace game or we could see a snoozefest, I can't get a good read on the game but i think Reading can get back on track here.
Prediction: Reading 2-0 West Ham
Goal Scorers: Reading, Leroy Lita, John Oster

Good luck with your plays, dont expect Liverpool to turn the brakes on at Anfield though

Thanks fellas.

Manchester United vs Sunderland
Manchester United 1.20
Draw 6.00
Sunderland 15.00

A reunion of a former Manchester Utd legend, Roy Keane to the Theatre of Dreams. It is not your regular showdown of the top 2 clubs but rather about Managers Sir Alex Ferguson vs Roy Keane. It wasn't too long ago that Roy Keane was tipped to be Ferguson's successor but he quit the club and then last season joined Sunderland's revolution along side his good buddy and chairman Niall Quinn. Roy Keane quickly established himself as one of the up and coming young managers and in his first season, brought Sunderland back into the EPL. The campaign started out well for The Blackcats winning on a last minute goal vs Tottenham opening day, but results have been difficult to come by the past few weeks. Having had to really fight for a draw vs Birmingham, then humbly losing to Wigan and Liverpool before getting knocked out of the Cup vs Luton, Sunderland are going through a quick drop of form. The club have recently been active in the transfer market, especially trying to bolster their defense. Sunderland are not a 100% fit and the likes of Richardson and McShane are still doubtful for the match, while influential players such as Dean Whitehead and Carlos Edwards are still long term outs.
Manchester Utd will be extremely happy to have finally won a match, although they got to admit it was no easy task vs Tottenham. A wonderful Nani strike sealed the deal in a match where Tottenham deserved at least a point. Now, the Red Devils will look to really stamp their mark on the EPL season by blowing out Sunderland. You should see a very similar if not the exact same side that feature vs Tottenham. Cristiano Ronaldo is still suspended and will be back in the next Man Utd match.
Sunderland's defense are in for a real treatment. If they found containing Wigan's strikers difficult i don't know how they will handle Man Utd's wing attack. Will we finally see a game where Utd score more than 2 goals? I think so. Utd should come out firing this game. However, the price is too short to handle. I think the best thing to do is play a live bet. So I am passing on this match.
Prediction:
Manchester United 3-0 Sunderland
Goal Scorers: Manchester United, Carlos Tevez, Paul Scholes, Louis Saha

87 min
St James' Park​
gameBar_in_.gif

collapse_off.gif

<TABLE class=matchTable style="DISPLAY: block"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fff 1px solid; WIDTH: 28px"> </TD><TD class=leftTeam>Newcastle </TD><TD class=totalScore>1 - 0</TD><TD class=rightTeam> Wigan</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=scoreTable id=219174-eventContainer style="DISPLAY: block"><TBODY><TR><TD class=timeCol>46'</TD><TD class=leftCol> </TD><TD class=scoreCol> </TD><TD class=rightCol>
card_red.gif
K Kilbane</TD></TR><TR><TD class=timeCol>87'</TD><TD class=leftCol>M Owen
c_grn.gif
</TD><TD class=scoreCol>1 - 0</TD><TD class=rightCol> </TD></TR><TR class=linksRow><TD width=349 colSpan=4> Preview | Match | Gamecast </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

wow..that is a miracle :tiphat:

Arsenal vs Portsmouth
Arsenal 1.50
Draw 3.75
Portsmouth 7.50

Notice how Arsenal are quietly just going about their business. People have forgotten that the Gunners are even still around, yet they have still only played 3 matches and have not lost this season. Midweek, Arsenal ran riot on Sparta Prague sealing their passage to the Champs League. They look to continue their form again against visiting Portmouths who have just been absolutely horrendous on the road. They have not recorded a victory on the road in the last 12 road games. Its gotten a lot of people scratching their heads, what needs to be done. Well they certainly should not be complaining about the talent and depth they have. Harry Redknapp has a great attack line to push for some goals but the attack was contained against Chelsea. Now they play another London team that knows how to play "Keep away" better than any other team in the league. Arsenal also are a very good home squad. They only lost once at the Emirates last season and had a +27 goal difference. Past 3 meetings between the 2 squads have resulted in draws, but i expect this to be an Arsenal win. Lets face it, Harry Redknapp does not like playing in London. Having dealt with Chelsea last week, he certainly was not looking forward to playing another London team. Arsenal can climb up to the top 5 with a win today and set themselves nicely during the 2 week break before they travel for their local derby vs Tottenham. So expect Wenger to take advantage of the 3 points now before leaving it late vs Tottenham. I'm a little skeptical about the total. If Arsenal have a 1-0 lead and are comfortable with it, they will sit on it even though they have the flare. This team is very difficult to play the totals these days. We are so use to watching Wenger come out with a run and gun style, however, we must remember, they are a very defensively sound group as well, very difficult to break pass through the midfield because they have such an extremely high football iq and know how to hold possession. Portsmouth are so use to playing at a smaller Fratton Park that playing in such a huge stadium such as Emirates is going to be overwhelming. Expect the Gunners to pay the same sort of welcome Chelsea did last week.
Bet: Arsenal -0.75 @ 1.73 $300 to win $219
Prediction: Arsenal 2-0 Portsmouth
Goal Scorers: Arsenal, Eduardo da Silva, Cesc Fabregas

Blackburn vs Manchester City
Blackburn 2.20
Draw 3.30
Manchester City 3.25

Another team that has minded their own business has been Blackburn. Rovers are undefeated in all competitions this year and will look to extend it against Manchester City at Ewood Park. Manchester City finally tasted defeat at the hands of Arsenal last week and will want to rebound after finally conceding their first goal. Blackburn are a very hard working side under manager Mark Hughes. A hard nose group, they are a very aggressive side and have a great mix of youth and veteran leadership. This game could mark the return of hitman Benni McCarthy however he my feature sometime on the bench. Blackburn should have a full squad to pick from and are coming off a midweek victory over MyPa in the UEFA Cup qualifiers. Manchester City had to fight off a pesky Bristol City midweek Carling Cup action. Other than the absence of Valeri Bojinov, manager Sven Goran Eriksson should have a full squad to pick from for this match. Manchester City's last victory at Ewood Park came in 2003 and i think we can expect the same run of bad fortune to continue. City have now conceeded goals in back to back matches i think goalie Kasper Schmeichel and the defense have finally been exposed. Both these teams are looking to compete for Europe and both have quality midfielders, so the pace of play should be very dramatic. But the one thing i like about Blackburn over Manchester City is that they are more consistent. They might not have a huge budget, but the past few seasons under Mark Hughes, the squad certainly know how to be competitive. They use to show signs of wackiness but this season has looked a lot different. They have lethel strikers, a very exciting young midfielder in David Bentley and a very good experienced backline and goalie. I think the younger manager here will some how pull off more interesting tricks vs Sven. But i do think this game is fairly evens and Blackburn may squeeze by. Should be interesting but both attacks look good and efficient. I expect an entertaining encounter.
Bet: Blackburn ML @ 2.20 $300 to win $360
Both teams to score @ 1.90 $300 to win $270
Prediction:
Blackburn 2-1 Manchester City
Goal Scorers: Blackburn, Roque Santa Cruz, David Bentley Manchester City, Rolando Bianchi

Aston Villa vs Chelsea
Aston Villa 5.50
Draw 3.30
Chelsea 1.72

Game of the week, Chelsea travel north to the midlands and face Aston Villa at Villa Park. Chelsea have not won a game at Villa Park in their last 8 tries. They will look to break that duck today but will miss key midfielder Frank Lampard to injury. Manager Jose Mourinho was hopeful Lampard would be fit for this encounter but will now have to shuffle the squad a bit. Expect to see new signing Julio Belletti start on the right back slot and Michael Essien back in the centre of the park. Defender Ricardo Carvalho is still out of this match so John Terry will play along side Tal Ben Haim. Along the wings will be Malouda and Shaun Wright Phillips. Both wingers have made a tremendous impact on the squad this season and will pose a serious threat to the Villan defenders. Upfront for Chelsea will be Claudio Pizzaro and Didier Drogba, although we should see some of Salomon Kalou during the match. Not too sure which one is starting. For Villa, MON has brought in 3 defenders before the transfer deadline, Zat Knight from Fulham, Curtis Davies from WBA and Moustapha Salifou. Neither Knight or Davies would feature in this match, both carrying slight knocks but if there is a suprise, Knight would start on the bench. Salifou is expected to be the new everyday Right Back but it is still little uncertain whether or not he will start tomorrow, if not Craig Gardner will continue his duties at the right. In the centre back slots for Villa will be the Scandinavian duo of Mellberg and Laursen. Both have played extremely well this season, especially Laursen who has been dogged by injuries the past few years but now has shown his capabilities when he's healthy. On the left will be Wilfred Bouma. If Villa are to play a 4-3-3 formation, you will see Barry, Reo-Coker and Petrov in the middle however, there maybe a push for Shaun Maloney to take over Petrov. Super Shaun has scored 3 goals in 2 games. He scored the winner vs Fulham and performed really well midweek vs Wrexham. There had been growing speculation about the future of Maloney, whether he's homesick or not, but he has now thrown those doubts out the window and proven he can play in England. Upfront we will most likely see Young, Carew and Agbonlahor. Ashley Young just recently got his first England call-up. When he signed for Villa for 9mil, people had said he was overpriced....well look again where he's come from and i think Villa got a good buy, he's playing with a lot of style, flare and determination and has caused a ruckus down the flanks. Carew has still yet to get off the mark, he's looked a little dodgy in the middle but i sense he is better of playing a 4-4-2 formation. I think his body will be put to good use as he battles John Terry. Gabby Agbonlahor will command the right flank, i think this is a mistake, he hasn't looked to par or comfortable playing as a winger should be more of an off striker position. I think we should see Luke Moore come into the picture.
Now when we see how the teams match up, on paper there is no doubt Chelsea just have an overwhelming selection of world class players. However, when we match up against Aston Villa we shall see a good battle individually. Nigel Reo Coker has been absolutely stellar for Villa this season. The former West Ham captain who was banished by his own Fans have established himself firmly in the centre of the Villa midfield. He has been a bulldog and an aggressive player. He's the one type of player Villa have needed the past few seasons. Key advantage for Chelsea will be their wingers. Villa do not have a natural right back other than new signing Salifou. Craig Gardner naturally plays more of a central defender mode but has been forced into the right slot since Mark Delaney announced his retirement. The youngster is still learning and i fear he will face his toughest challenge yet vs a player such as Florent Malouda. Bouma on the other hand, though more experience isn't the fastest left back. He will have to cover one of the fastest players in the EPL in Shaun Wright Phillips who's been absolute dynamite this season. Michael Essien will need to contain Gareth Barry tightly in order to stop and sort of tempo Villa may want to bring. John Terry against Carew will be a great match up, but Terry enjoys playing against bigger guys especially up in the air. So the key is to keep the ball on the ground because both Tal Ben Haim and John Terry are very efficient winning the ball in the air, and Petr Cech is one of the taller Premiership goalies. The best thing Villa can do to establish an attack is to go through Ashley Young or Gabby Agbonlahor. Preferably Young because he naturally plays on the flanks and is going to be up against Belletti who may need time to settle into the game. Young is boosting with confidence since the midweek call and maybe the best player tomorrow for Villa. I think Claudio Pizzaro won't be as much of a factor tomorrow so expect Drogba to be all over the place causing problems. I think his pace will be a little too much for the Villa backline to handle. Whereas the slower Pizzaro will need to be a little bit more resourceful because he is a very similar player to that of Mark Viduka and Martin Laursen put Viduka in his pocket vs Newcastle earlier this year.
Both managers are class and have a lot of tricks under their sleeves. Villa fans have high expectations now that we've bolstered up the defense, and it will be a huge boost if the club the can get 3 points vs Chelsea. However, lets face it, Chelsea just find ways not to lose. They lucked out of Anfield a few weeks back in a game they know very well they should of lost. Now they go to another hostile environment and will feel the rath of the Holte End. I think Chelsea will miss Lampard a lot more then they would expect. This will be a competitive match and i think Villa will get something out of it. Yes i could be bias but i'm also realistic, the games Villa have played have been competitive its been a bit of bad and good luck for the club. Perhaps now they can settle in and finally play some established football. Chelsea will come to the match knowing they must obtain at least a point to firmly keep their grip on the title chase. I expect a draw and if a Chelsea victory pulls through it won't be more then a goal. I managed to get the line earlier in the week and now the line has moved up most likely due to the news Lampard is not playing.
Bet: Aston Villa +0.75 @ 1.95 $500 to win $475
Prediction: Aston Villa 1-1 Chelsea
Goal Scorers: Aston Villa, Gareth Barry Chelsea, Didier Drogba

My Villans did it! Not only cover the spread but win straight up!!! Wow, highlight of the season so far.

This weekend:

8-5-3 +$1179.25

YTD:
Record: 30-30-7 -$1330.25
Totals 8-7-2
Big Plays: 1-1

Back