• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Eagles Update | Eagles Daily Update

jimmyd

Eagles Update | Eagles Daily Update
Posted on Tue, Jul. 25, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Eagles held their first official full-team workout for the 2006 season yesterday, and while the players lacked pads, they did not lack intensity.
It was a high-spirited afternoon practice that makes one wonder what things will be like when the pads are put on this morning.
Here's a look back at Day 5 at Lehigh:

Most significant development
Running back Correll Buckhalter, who missed the last two seasons with a right knee injury, was taken off the physically-unable-to-perform list and practiced. On one play, Buckhalter ran hard and showed good hands and speed while catching a swing pass from quarterback Donovan McNabb in a seven-on-seven drill.

Moving up
The defensive line. Even though it was a practice without pads, the defensive line, which accounted for 211/2 of the Eagles' 29 sacks last season, was getting constant pressure on a variety of Birds quarterbacks.

Moving down
Unsigned first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley missed his sixth practice. "He's missing valuable time," coach Andy Reid said.

Aches and pains
Fullback Thomas Tapeh missed his fourth practice with hamstring spasms. Wide receivers Jason Avant (knee) and Jeremy Bloom (hamstring) remain on the unable-to-perform list.

Play of the day
The Eagles showed some razzle-dazzle when McNabb hit Reggie Brown in stride with a 60-yard touchdown pass on a flea-flicker. McNabb handed the ball to Brian Westbrook, who flipped it back. Then the Eagles' quarterback hit a wide-open Brown.

Quote of the day
Eagles defensive end Darren Howard was asked if players dread coming to camp. "You wish you could push it back a couple of days every time it creeps up, but you can't do that," he said. "You have to face the music."

Interesting sidelight
Left-footed Eagles kicker David Akers warmed up by kicking a soccer ball with his right foot. Akers, who suffered a hamstring injury that cost him four games last season, said it was the first time he had ever warmed up this way. "I was trying something different," he said. "The hamstring injury last year, and with the stuff I do over and over being left-footed, I was trying to counterbalance kicking with my right foot."
For the record, he's much better left-footed, but the right isn't bad.

Unanswered question
Why would any Eagles fan consider buying Terrell Owens' new literary masterpiece?

Changing numbers
Eagles receivers Hank Baskett and Jabar Gaffney have switched numbers. Gaffney is now No. 80 and Baskett is 84.

We hardly got to know you
Offensive tackle Jeff Roehl, who was claimed off waivers on Friday from New England, was cut after Buckhalter was activated.

What's next
The Eagles practice today at 8:45 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. Only the morning session will be in pads.

Man, I hope theyre not counting on getting anything out of Buckhalter this year

how many times does a guy have to get hurt before you cut ties with him?

They need another back...would like to see a Stephen Davis type or who knows, Ive heard Atlanta may cut Duckett and Pittsburgh may pick him up which means theyd get rid of Staley...who would be a welcome returnee in my opinion...

Posted on Wed, Jul. 26, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Brian Dawkins didn't know the name, but he got the number.
It was 42.
"I don't know his name," the veteran safety said when asked if anyone caught his attention during the Eagles' first "live" scrimmage of training camp yesterday. "I'm sorry, but he's a rookie. Number 42. He had some de-cleaters out there today."
Jason Davis was the anonymous big hitter, and he was certainly glad to be recognized by a five-time Pro Bowler.
"That makes me feel good, but I still want to be under the radar," Davis said. "I just want to do my job and get back in the huddle."
Davis, a rookie fullback from Illinois, had an outstanding junior season, catching 41 passes for 340 yards and two touchdowns, but his numbers tailed off in his senior year and he went undrafted. To play fullback for the Eagles, he'll have to show he can block and catch passes.
At 230 pounds, Davis is the lightest of the Eagles' fullbacks in camp, but he said he was just following orders when he reported at that weight.
"They wanted to come in at 230, and at $571 for every pound I was over, I couldn't afford that," Davis said.
In other words, it is about the money when you're making undrafted rookie wages in the NFL.

Play of the day
The second time the first offense went against the first defense, wide receiver Reggie Brown took a reverse handoff from fellow receiver Jabar Gaffney and ran untouched for a 48-yard touchdown.
"I took the handoff from Jabar and headed around the end," Brown said. "I didn't expect it to be that open. I was expecting some big guys to be waiting there for me, salivating. But it was open, so I just took off."

Drop of the day
Brown's great morning moment was followed by some afternoon abuse when he dropped a pass from Donovan McNabb.
"Come on, Reggie," one fan screamed.
"You're the No. 1 guy, you've got to catch that," yelled another fan.

Hit of the day
After pulling in a short pass from McNabb, Eagles tight end L.J. Smith lowered his shoulder and bulled over safety Quintin Mikell for a 10-yard gain.
Also, wide receiver Darnerien McCants got a chance to throw an open-field block on J.R. Reid and made the most of it, leveling the safety.

Jersey of the day
Someone was wearing a Brodrick Bunkley jersey. It had to have been unsigned.

Quote of the day
"You better quit that, 5. You know where I am."
- Eagles cornerback Rod Hood after he tightly covered Greg Lewis on a deep pass in the afternoon.

Never happen in October
The nice thing about training camp is that McNabb can throw interceptions without feeling the wrath of the fans. In fact, he threw two picks yesterday afternoon that resulted in loud ovations.
Of course, the fans are always happy to see Jeremiah Trotter make a great defensive play, as he did on the first interception. They were also thrilled when Sheldon Brown executed the tip drill to pick off a pass a few minutes later.

Looking ahead
The Eagles will have full-squad practices at 8:45 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. The morning practice will be in full pads. Wide receivers will be in the autograph tent following practice.

Posted on Thu, Jul. 27, 2006
By Marc Narducci

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Wide receiver Todd Pinkston missed a third straight day of workouts with pads as the Eagles practiced in the sweltering heat of Lehigh this morning.
Pinkston, who missed last year after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon in his right foot during training camp, had practiced for two days when selected veterans and rookies began workouts last Friday.
Since the pads have been on, he hasn't taken part in practice. Pinkston had said on Wednesday that he is staying out at practice as a precautionary measure.
Three others didn't participate in Thursday morning's practice - safety Quintin Mikell, running back Ryan Moats and offensive tackle William (formerly Tra) Thomas.
Mikell, who is also considered one of the Eagles' better special teams players, missed his second day with an eye injury. Moats suffered a sprained knee ligament during Wednesday morning's practice.
Thomas, who had off-season back surgery, was sidelined due to soreness in his back. He had practiced Wednesday morning, but was held out of that afternoon's workout. Rookie second-round pick Winston Justice worked with the first unit in Thomas' absence.
Receivers Jeremy Bloom (hamstring) and Jason Avant (knee) remain on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.
The Eagles also made a roster move today, signing cornerback Matt Clark and releasing cornerbacl Kevonne Rowan.
Clark was a rookie free agent last year with the New Orleans Saints who was released prior to the regular season.
A two-year starter at UCLA, Clark played for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe this past spring. Clark is the cousin of Eagles cornerback Matt Ware.
The defense continued to look impressive, with reserve linebacker Mark Simoneau having an especially impressive day that included a crunching hit on running back Brian Westbrook on a screen pass.

Eagles Notes | Thomas' back is acting up again

Eagles Notes
Posted on Fri, Jul. 28, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Another day passed with Winston Justice running with the Eagles' first-team offense at left tackle yesterday, and when the injury report was released on William (the former Tra) Thomas, the dreaded B word was mentioned.
In Thomas' case, that word is "back."
The need for surgery on Thomas' lower back ended his 2005 season after just 10 games.
Eagles coach Andy Reid said he is not overly alarmed by this ailment.
"As of right now, we think he's going to be all right, so I'm not real concerned," Reid said. "It's just spasms. He might be ready tomorrow. He was close to coming out this afternoon and then it tightened up a little."
Also on the injury front, running back Ryan Moats did not practice after suffering a sprained knee ligament during Wednesday morning's practice at Lehigh University. Reid appeared encouraged by Moats' condition, too.
"It's a day-to-day thing right now," the coach said. "... There wasn't any swelling, so he should be OK."
As for wide receiver Todd Pinkston, Reid said the swelling in his Achilles tendons was subsiding, but the coach is going to be cautious. "We're not going to take any chances," Reid said.
Bunkley update
Eagles first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley remained unsigned, but more players drafted in front of the defensive tackle came to terms with their teams.
Tennessee signed Texas quarterback Vince Young, the third overall pick, to a five-year deal worth a reported $58 million, including $25.7 million guaranteed. A day earlier, the New York Jets signed fourth overall pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson, an offensive tackle.
Bunkley has missed 12 practices.
"When he gets here, he's part of us," Eagles safety Brian Dawkins said. "He's just doing his business."
Ware's cousin
The Eagles signed cornerback Matt Clark yesterday. He's the cousin and former UCLA teammate of Eagles cornerback Matt Ware.
He had arrived in camp at Lehigh just after midnight.
"When I got to my room I was mad he hadn't called me," Ware said. "I guess he was on a plane because it happened real quick. I called him and left a message saying, 'Man, I can't believe you didn't call your own cousin.' He called me as soon as he got here."
Clark was released by the New Orleans Saints before the start of the season and played in NFL Europe for the Cologne Centurions during the spring.
To make room on the roster for Clark, the Eagles released cornerback Levonne Rowan.

Eagles Camp Update | Baskett continues to impress

Posted on Fri, Jul. 28, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The legend of Hank Baskett continued to grow yesterday at Lehigh University.
During the Eagles' afternoon practice, Baskett cut across the middle of the field on a deep pattern during a seven-on-seven drill and made a diving catch in front of cornerback Roderick Hood.
What followed was the first meeting of the Hank Baskett Fan Club.
After the catch, the crowd sitting in the grassy knoll just behind the field went crazy. At one point, fans started chanting Baskett's name in the same international-soccer manner in which fans used to chant "T.O." in these parts.
Later in practice, when another receiver dropped a ball, the fans started yelling for all the Eagles quarterbacks to throw to No. 84, which is the undrafted rookie's number.
At the end of the session, a fan yelled at coach Andy Reid: "You better not cut Baskett."
It all made for good theater during the hot afternoon on a day on which 11,532 fans attended practice.
"You've got to do what you've got to do," Baskett said when asked about his diving reception. "If I want to be here in the fall, if I want to stay here, you've got to do those things. Some people don't like to lay out, but whatever I have to do to catch the ball, I'm going to do it."
And what about the fan club?
"It's pretty neat," he said. "For them to be cheering for you, it's definitely a good thing. I've seen them getting on some guys, so I definitely am glad I'm on the good side right now."
Play of the day
Greg Lewis continued his impressive camp when he caught a long touchdown pass from Donovan McNabb on a flea-flicker play. Lewis got behind Hood after running back Brian Westbrook took a handoff and pitched the ball back to McNabb.
Hits of the day
Cornerback Lito Sheppard came up from his cornerback position to hit running back Bruce Perry, jarring the ball loose.
Linebacker Mark Simoneau also received some rare crowd praise when he closed fast and leveled Westbrook after he caught a swing pass from McNabb.
Quote of the day
"He is small. I can't make him look bigger."
- Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson on Eagles weakside linebacker Matt McCoy.
Best moment
The quarterbacks were in the autograph tent after the morning practice, and when the session ended, McNabb gave his pads and red jersey to 7-year-old Adam Recke, who was accompanied by his father, Sean, and brother Josh. Adam has been diagnosed with Niemann-Pick Type C Disease, a genetic, pediatric, neurodegenerative disorder that affects the nervous system. This metabolic disorder leads to a series of neurological problems that are ultimately fatal.
Former Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian has a Web site - www.parseghian.org - devoted to finding a cure for the disease.
Today's schedule
The Eagles' full squad will practice in pads at 8:45 a.m. today. A special-teams-only practice will be held at 2 p.m. Offensive and defensive linemen will be in the autograph tent after the morning practice.

Brown the latest Eagle injured at camp

Thomas returns after 2 days of back spasms

By Marc Narducci

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

BETHLEHEM, PA - The Eagles cut back the hitting during Saturday morning’s practice at Lehigh, but they haven’t reduced the growing number of injuries.
Early in practice, wide receiver Reggie Brown walked off the field slowly and it was later announced that he has a left hamstring injury.
Defensive end Jevon Kearse didn’t practice due to knee inflammation. Linebacker Matt McCoy left practice with a quad spasm.
The other players who missed practice included tight end L.J. Smith (shoulder); running back Ryan Moats (knee); defensive tackle Darwin Walker (quad contusion); safety Quintin Mikell (orbital fracture); fullback Jason Davis (fractured hand) and wide receiver Derrick Fenner (hamstring).
Offensive tackle William (formerly Tra) Thomas, returned to practice after missing the last two days with back spasms. Thomas participated in all drills, working with the first unit.
The Eagles will be cautious with Thomas because he suffered a season-ending lower back injury during the 10th game of the year in 2005.
Wide receiver Todd Pinkston, who has been bothered by soreness in both Achilles, saw minimal time in practice for the second straight day, after missing the previous three days. Pinkston suffered a season-ending ruptured Achilles tendon in his right foot during last preseason.
The Eagles are being cautious with Pinkston. The same is the case with running back Correll Buckhalter, who hasn’t taken part in live contact. Buckhalter has missed the last two seasons with injuries to his right patellar tendon, but says he is eventually looking forward to participating in live contact.
That will only occur when coach Andy Reid decides Buckhalter is ready.
The tackling at practice was greatly reduced from the first four days, but the length of the workout wasn’t. The Eagles practiced for nearly two hours and 20 minutes. This camp has a business-like atmosphere and the pace has been fast. Many of the older veterans, such as linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and Brian Dawkins, have been among the hardest workers, pushing the young players to keep up with them.

Eagles Update |

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - After four days of hitting at Eagles camp, the bodies are starting to fall. Yet the most significant news of the first week is that one of those bodies isn't Donovan McNabb's.
After being hampered last season by a sports hernia that finally caused him to miss the final seven games, the biggest question entering what has been a furnace at Lehigh was whether McNabb could withstand the grind of camp.
Granted, quarterbacks don't take a beating in camp, but McNabb nonetheless is pleased with his physical progress. He said yesterday that he wasn't feeling any soreness, which after last year represents a major upgrade.
"It's a tough evaluation, because I haven't had the pads on in a while, and being out here in training camp you know you're going to get a little soreness in the body, period," McNabb said after yesterday morning's workout. "So, in that, as far as the injury and everything else is concerned, everything else is fine."
The biggest cheers come when McNabb scrambles from the pocket and runs. He has shown his usual speed and ability to escape.
Play of the day
Eagles safety Brian Dawkins was near the line of scrimmage on a blitz when he not only jumped to deflect a pass from Jeff Garcia, he also caught it, just a few feet away from the Eagles quarterback. Dawkins then returned the interception 40 yards for a score.
Still wowing them
Rookie Hank Baskett has become a crowd favorite with an array of spectacular receptions. Yesterday's gem was a 15-yard catch of an underthrown pass from McNabb in which Baskett had to reach back to make the difficult play.
Quote of the day
Eagles running back Correll Buckhalter has been held out of contact drills after missing the last two seasons with a torn tendon in his right knee. If it were up to Buckhalter, he would be right in the middle of the action. "I just want to punish somebody," he said. "I envision myself running and making plays and having contact."
Hit of the day
Rookie linebacker Omar Gaither shed a block and leveled Brian Westbrook for a 2-yard loss on a running play. Gaither has shown great athletic ability.
Unanswered questions
Should the Eagles pursue unhappy Oakland Raiders receiver Jerry Porter? Will this be the year Sheldon Brown earns his first Pro Bowl berth? Are the players counting the days until Aug. 16, when camp ends?
With style
Westbrook literally flipped over the defensive line to score on a 2-yard run when the team was working on its goal-line offense.
Rain delay
For the first time at this camp, a practice was interrupted by rain. After about 10 minutes of the afternoon special-teams workout, the rain forced the session indoors. That broke a streak of 13 consecutive dry practices.
Look ahead
The Eagles will practice at 8:45 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. today. Running backs, tight ends, linebackers and kickers will be in the autograph tent after the morning practice. Offensive linemen will appear in the tent after the afternoon practice.

Gentleman, from all the reports, Philly is serious about training camp, and Oakland is not. For the 1st game on next Sunday, I'll give up the -3 at this point.

Eagles Notes | Schobel's catching heat for not catching ball

Eagles Notes
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The Eagles signed tight end Matt Schobel to catch the football, so when he doesn't, it's bound to get noticed, especially when he does it in a public arena like the practice fields at Lehigh University.
An astute crowd yesterday jeered Schobel's first drop of the morning, then followed it up with some mock cheers when he made a catch a short while later. Another drop during a team drill later in practice fueled more jeers.
Welcome to Philadelphia, Matt.
"That's fair," Schobel said after the morning practice. "If I catch the ball, they cheer, and if I don't, they boo, or whatever they do. That's all part of it."
It's really not the fans that Schobel has to worry about. It's what the coaching staff thinks that ultimately matters.
Offensive coordinatorMarty Mornhinweg's impression: "Number one, he's doing an excellent job of separating. Certainly, he needs to catch the ball on a consistent basis. If you catch the football, it gives you a chance to play for us. If you don't catch the football, you're not playing. It's as simple as that."
Schobel didn't have a real good day Friday, either, but he's not overly concerned about his recent case of the drops.
"I've never had that problem before," he said. "It's just been a couple of days where I've dropped a couple, and I'm not going to make too big of a deal out of it... . I'm going to keep working at it so it doesn't continue to happen."
Schobel ran with the first-team offense yesterday because starter L.J. Smithis out with a sprained shoulder. The Eagles obviously think highly of Schobel. They gave him a five-year deal that included a $1.8 million signing bonus and plan to use more two-tight-end sets than they did a year ago.
Neither Mornhinweg nor Schobel wanted to use the velocity of Donovan McNabb's throws as a reason for the tight end's problems, but McNabb definitely has more zip on the ball than most NFL quarterbacks.
Said Schobel: "When you're open, you want it quick. That's definitely not an excuse. That's a good thing."
If Schobel continues to struggle, the Eagles have candidates to fill his job. The leading one a week into camp appears to be a vastly improved Andy Thorn, who spent his rookie season on the practice squad.
"He's a guy that has worked himself into being a pretty good football player right now," Mornhinweg said. "Both in the run game and the pass game, he is showing up."
Stephen Spach, who was the second tight end at the start of last season, is still on the roster. Spach caught just seven passes for 42 yards last season.
Bunkley update
Another day passed without a deal between the Eagles and first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley, despite the fact that Baltimore signed 12th overall pickHaloti Ngatato a five-year, $11.9 million deal Friday. That deal could be worth as much as $14 million, and it was significant because Ngata was the only defensive tackle taken ahead of Bunkley in the draft.
Bunkley, the 14th overall pick, has missed 16 practices.
His agent, Gary Wichard, did not return a phone call yesterday.

Eagles Notes | Bunkley remains without a contract

Eagles Notes
Posted on Mon, Jul. 31, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Another batch of first-round NFL picks signed or agreed to contracts yesterday, but it was another day without significant movement in the Eagles' negotiations with their own first-round draft pick, Brodrick Bunkley.
An Eagles source said that the sides weren't even talking, although that could have changed after the St. Louis Rams agreed to terms with cornerback Tye Hill, the 15th overall pick in the draft.
Bunkley was the 14th overall pick, and now the pick one spot in front of the defensive tackle - Cleveland's Kamerion Wimbley - and one spot below him have signed. Baltimore's Haloti Ngata, the 12th pick and the only defensive tackle taken before Bunkley, also has signed.
Eagles head coach Andy Reid has been agitated for some time that Bunkley has not yet signed. When it was mentioned that a lot of first-round picks now have deals, Reid nodded in agreement.
"Yeah, you're right," he said.
If a deal with Bunkley doesn't get consummated in the very near future, it's unlikely that the defensive tackle will be able to participate in Sunday's preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders in Canton, Ohio.
He could end up missing the first two preseason games because the Eagles will have only one full practice between their game against the Raiders and their second preseason game at home against Cleveland on Aug. 10.
The Eagles' biggest concern is Bunkley's physical condition when he does report to training camp. Word is that the defensive tackle is working out in Tallahassee, Fla.
Injury update
In addition to receivers Todd Pinkston (Achilles tendons) and Reggie Brown (hamstring), the Eagles had eight other players out of practice yesterday.
Tight end L.J. Smith was sidelined for a second straight day by a sprained shoulder, but he participated in an afternoon conditioning run with trainer Rick Burkholder.
Ryan Moats (sprained knee ligament) also participated in the conditioning run, but he wasn't able to complete it and Reid indicated the second-year running back is struggling to get back onto the field.
"We thought he was making progress, but he's struggling a little bit with his change of direction," the coach said.
Fellow running back Bruce Perry missed practice with lower back spasms, the second time in three days he sat out with that problem. Veteran defensive tackle Ed Jasper also missed practice with back spasms.
Rookie fullback Jason Davis sat out with a fractured hand and will see a specialist today.
Rookie receivers Jason Avant (knee), Jeremy Bloom (hamstring), and Derrick Fenner (hamstring) also sat out.
Extra points
The Eagles were short at tailback yesterday, so fullback Thomas Tapeh filled in at that position... . With temperatures expected to soar into the mid-90s this week, Reid was asked if he would consider changing his practice schedule. "We won't change the practice time," he said. "If it does get too warm, we'll cut it back a little bit, but we'll see how it goes."

jimmyd: Seems like a tough camp. A lot of people banged up. May be difficult to string a decent team together for Sun.

Eagles Notes | Gaither off to flying start at linebacker

Eagles Notes
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - It was a major compliment coming from a man who does not typically laud rookies so generously.
"Omar [Gaither] is a playmaker, you can see that," Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said after yesterday's practice at Lehigh. "Every day, he seems like he comes up with a big play."
Gaither, a fifth-round pick out of Tennessee, has been the most impressive defensive rookie during the first 10 days of training camp, and he's caught the eye of more than just his defensive coordinator. Fellow middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter also likes what he has seen.
"He's made a lot of plays," Trotter said. "He's very impressive. You can tell when a guy has the ability to make plays, but the only way you can really tell about a guy is time."
It is Gaither's ability to pick up the Eagles' complicated defensive scheme that has pleased Johnson the most.
"He's still learning, but of all the rookies, he's picked up things very well," Johnson said. "Of all the rookies... that we've had here over the last four or five years that I can remember, he's picked things up for a linebacker as well as anybody."
Gaither, 6-foot-1 and 235 pounds, played outside linebacker in college but was more than willing to make the switch when the Eagles told him they were moving him to the middle.
How has he been able to learn the defense so quickly?
"It's repetition," he said. "It's staying up at night and going over the plays when you probably should be going to bed."
Gaither is third on the depth chart behind Trotter and Mark Simoneau at middle linebacker, and he knows there's no guarantee as a fifth-round draft pick that he'll make the squad.
"I feel like we have a lot of competition at linebacker, so the only way I can make this team is by being good on special teams and going out and making plays," he said. "I want to try to make plays."
He made a couple during practice yesterday.
The most impressive one came on the final play of the morning session when he sniffed out a dump pass to Reno Mahe, closed fast and nailed the running back behind the line of scrimmage.
Earlier in the practice, he was in coverage near the goal line and it appeared as if Andy Thorn was going to secure a touchdown, but Gaither reached in and knocked the ball out of the tight end's hands.
Gaither said he appreciated the middle linebacker education he has received from both Trotter and Simoneau.
"I'm learning from two of the best in the NFL," Gaither said.
The rookie has also been amazed at what Trotter can do.
"I knew he was a good linebacker before I got here, but you never can tell before you see it firsthand, and he does things I just couldn't imagine," Gaither said. "Every time he comes off the field, I'm asking him about what he's thinking. He does a good job of telling me.
"He also tells me I have to play my own game. We're two different kind of linebackers. He's a little bigger than me, so I have to play my own game."
Injury report
It was a pretty good day on the injury front with the returns of Reggie Brown (hamstring), Jason Avant (knee), L.J. Smith (shoulder), Ed Jasper (back), and Bruce Perry (back).
Brown, who had missed practice time Saturday and Sunday, did not appear to have any lingering effects from the hamstring spasms that sidelined him.
Linebacker Chris Gocong (stinger) and defensive end Darren Howard (knee inflammation) missed practice, but neither injury is thought to be serious. Guard Adrien Clarke and tight end Matt Schobel were carted off during practice. Clarke had a hyperextended elbow, and Schobel was a victim of dehydration on this brutally hot day. Cornerback Donald Strickland suffered groin and knee injuries late in the morning session.
Fullback Jason Davis (hand), running back Ryan Moats (knee) and wide receivers Todd Pinkston (feet), Derrick Fenner (hamstring) and Jeremy Bloom (hamstring) all remained sidelined. jimmyd: RB Buckhalter also practiced for the 1st time.
Extra points
The afternoon practice was halted at 3:20 yesterday because of an electrical storm. The Eagles were not able to move inside to the Raunch Fieldhouse at Lehigh because of a basketball camp... . Coach Andy Reid moved this morning's practice up a half hour to 8:15 a.m. to try to minimize the affects of the heat and humidity.

Eagles Daily Update

Posted on Thu, Aug. 03, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Trent Cole, the second-year defensive end, has been having a strong camp, especially rushing the passer. While the quarterbacks are off-limits to tacklers, Cole has gotten into the backfield his fair share of the time at Lehigh.
Even a mild setback yesterday couldn't keep Cole down too long. Near the end of the morning practice in furnacelike conditions, Cole had to go to the locker room. Unlike many of the offensive linemen in camp, the heat got the better of Cole.
Cole, who had five sacks as a rookie, showed his recuperative powers by returning for the afternoon session.
"I just had a little too much heat in the morning, and I was mad about having to come off the field," he said.
Cole cooled down after taking plenty of fluids.
"Even though it is hot, I just love playing football," he said. And he was happy to return for the afternoon session.
"I have a lot of heart," he said. "I am the type of guy who thinks every down counts, and I never want to lose time in practice."
Rare sight
Rookie receiver Hank Baskett, who has been among the most pleasant surprises, dropped a pass from Donovan McNabb early in the morning session and then dropped another ball shortly afterward. The crowd was surprised because Baskett had been inhaling just about every pass thrown his way.
Play of the day
Receiver Darnerien McCants has made several big plays in camp, and that continued yesterday when he caught a 40-yard touchdown pass from McNabb. McCants made a leaping grab between Sean Considine and Roderick Hood, who both had decent coverage.
Hit of the day
This was a bigger play for the person who absorbed the blow than the one who delivered it. Running back Correll Buckhalter, who has missed the last two years with a torn tendon in his right knee, was tackled for a 3-yard loss by Michael Lewis on a running play. Showing he can take a hit, Buckhalter bounced straight up and returned to the huddle, another positive sign in his long comeback attempt.
Quick observation
The defense continues to look well ahead of the offense. Leaders like Brian Dawkins and Jeremiah Trotter never seem to allow the defense to take a play off.
Quote of the day
Special-teams coordinator John Harbaugh was asked about the difficulty of trying to get everybody playing time Sunday in the first preseason game, against the Oakland Raiders, in Canton, Ohio. "We call it depth-chart madness," he said. "It's crazy. We've got that depth chart and there are 66 starting positions and yet they're about four deep right now. I'm not real good at math, but I know that's a lot of combinations."
Time change
For the third straight day, the morning practice will be moved up a half hour. Today's morning practice will begin at 8:15. The afternoon special-teams practice will remain at 2 p.m.

*** 2006 Philadelphia Eagles Roster ***
From The Sports Network

NFL
NO. PLAYER POS HT WT EXP SCHOOL
2 David Akers K 5-10 200 8 Louisville
3 Reggie Hodges P 6-0 226 1 Ball State
5 Donovan McNabb QB 6-2 240 8 Syracuse
6 E.J. Cochrane K 5-11 196 R Montana State
6 Jeff Garcia QB 6-1 200 8 San Jose State
8 Dirk Johnson P 6-0 205 4 Northern Colorado
9 Tim Chang QB 6-2 207 1 Hawaii
10 Koy Detmer QB 6-1 195 10 Colorado
11 Jeremy Bloom WR 5-9 180 R Colorado
13 Bill Sampy WR 5-11 192 R Louisiana-Lafayette
16 Justin Jenkins WR 6-0 207 2 Mississippi State
18 J.J. Outlaw WR 5-9 187 R Villanova
19 Carl Ford WR 6-0 182 3 Toledo
20 Brian Dawkins FS 6-0 210 11 Clemson
21 Matt Ware CB 6-2 220 3 U-C-L-A
23 Ryan Moats RB 5-8 210 2 Louisana Tech
24 Sheldon Brown CB 5-10 200 5 South Carolina
25 Scott Ware SS 6-1 218 R U-S-C
26 Lito Sheppard CB 5-10 194 5 Florida
27 Quintin Mikell S 5-10 206 4 Boise State
28 Correll Buckhalter RB 6-0 217 6 Nebraska
29 Roderick Hood CB 5-11 196 4 Auburn
30 J.R. Reed S 5-11 202 3 South Florida
31 Dexter Wynn CB 5-9 177 3 Colorado State
32 Michael Lewis SS 6-1 222 5 Colorado
33 Donald Strickland DB 5-10 187 4 Colorado
34 Reno Mahe RB 5-10 212 4 B-Y-U
35 Bruce Perry RB 5-10 215 2 Maryland
36 Brian Westbrook RB 5-8 203 5 Villanova
37 Sean Considine S 6-0 212 2 Iowa
39 Brandon Pinderhughes FS 6-0 204 1 Nebraska-Omaha
41 Stephen Spach TE 6-4 250 2 Fresno State
41 Thomas Tapeh FB 6-1 243 3 Minnesota
42 Jason Davis FB 5-10 240 R Illinois
45 Joselio Hanson CB 5-9 170 2 Texas Tech
46 Corey Peoples S 6-2 212 1 South Carolina
47 Andy Thorn TE 6-5 250 1 Northern Iowa
48 Torrance Daniels LB 6-3 248 R Harding
48 Jonas Crafts TE 6-3 250 1 Texas-El Paso
49 Josh Parry FB 6-2 250 3 San Jose State
51 Matt McCoy LB 5-11 230 2 San Diego State
52 Jason Short LB 6-4 254 3 Eastern Michigan
53 Mark Simoneau LB 6-0 245 7 Kansas State
54 Jeremiah Trotter LB 6-1 262 9 Stephen F. Austin
55 Dhani Jones LB 6-1 240 7 Michigan
56 Greg Richmond LB 6-1 235 2 Oklahoma State
58 Nick Cole OL 6-0 350 R New Mexico State
58 Trent Cole DE 6-3 270 2 Cincinnati
59 Dedrick Roper LB 6-2 245 2 Northwood
59 Shawn Barber LB 6-2 240 9 Richmond
61 Adrien Clarke G 6-5 330 3 Ohio State
62 Max Jean-Gilles G 6-3 358 R Georgia
63 Hank Fraley C/G 6-2 300 7 Robert Morris
64 Jeremy Caudill DT 6-2 318 1 Kentucky
65 Pat McCoy OT 6-5 328 R West Texas A&M
65 Keyonta Marshall DT 6-1 325 2 Grand Valley State
66 Trey Darilek G/T 6-5 310 3 Texas-El Paso
67 Jamaal Jackson G/C 6-4 330 3 Delaware State
68 Dejuan Skinner OT 6-5 345 R West Texas A&M
68 Darrell Lee DE 6-4 273 1 Florida
69 Jon Runyan OT 6-7 330 11 Michigan
71 Scott Young G 6-4 312 2 B-Y-U
72 William Thomas OT 6-7 335 9 Florida State
73 Shawn Andrews G/T 6-4 340 3 Arkansas
74 Winston Justice OT 6-6 319 R U-S-C
75 Juqua Thomas DE 6-2 250 6 Oklahoma State
76 Calvin Armstrong OT 6-7 325 2 Washington State
77 LaJuan Ramsey DT 6-3 291 R U-S-C
78 Brodrick Bunkley DT 6-2 300 R Florida State
79 Todd Herremans OT 6-6 321 2 Saginaw Valley State
80 Hank Baskett WR 6-4 220 R New Mexico
81 Jason Avant WR 6-0 212 R Michigan
82 L.J. Smith TE 6-3 258 4 Rutgers
83 Greg Lewis WR 6-0 180 4 Illinois
84 Michael Gasperson WR 6-4 220 1 San Diego
84 Jabar Gaffney WR 6-1 205 5 Florida
85 Darnerien McCants WR 6-3 215 5 Delaware State
86 Reggie Brown WR 6-1 197 2 Georgia
87 Todd Pinkston WR 6-3 180 7 Southern Mississippi
88 Mike Bartrum TE 6-4 245 13 Marshall
89 Matt Schobel TE 6-5 255 5 T-C-U
90 Darren Howard DE 6-3 275 7 Kansas State
91 Sam Rayburn DT 6-3 303 4 Tulsa
93 Jevon Kearse DE 6-4 265 8 Florida
94 Ed Jasper DT 6-2 295 10 Texas A&M
95 Jerome McDougle DE 6-2 264 4 Miami-Florida
96 Omar Gaither LB 6-2 235 R Tennessee
97 Darwin Walker DT 6-3 294 7 Tennessee
98 Mike Patterson DT 6-0 292 2 U-S-C

Eagles Daily Update

Posted on Fri, Aug. 04, 2006

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Tight end L.J. Smith split two defenders and caught a 20-yard touchdown strike from Donovan McNabb yesterday in a scene becoming familiar at Lehigh.
Smith has made several big plays at training camp, even after missing three days last week with a shoulder injury.
McNabb loves to use the tight end, and a breakout season by Smith could give the receiving corps a needed boost.
Last year, in his third NFL season, Smith had 61 receptions for 682 yards and three touchdowns, but at times had a case of the drops.
During camp, at least, Smith has been catching nearly everything in his direction. He wants to show he can be a bigger part of the offense.
"It all depends on how confident and comfortable [McNabb] is with me," Smith said. "I have to be in the right spots, and if he wants me, I'll be there."
Smith was originally expected to be out longer with the injury.
"I thought it was going to be a setback, and I'm relieved it wasn't too bad," he said. "You try to push yourself, and every day you aren't there, there is so much information going on in each practice, you really don't want to lose out."
Sack attack
The pass rush, among the NFL's weakest last season, has continued to be impressive. The Eagles had just 29 sacks last season.
Hit of the day
Linebacker Shawn Barber hit Reno Mahe immediately after he made a short reception. Barber is still looking to be more consistent, but has delivered a few heavy hits.
Quote of the day
This came from noted quipster Andy Reid when asked whether he was seeing more out of guard Shawn Andrews, who is about 40 pounds lighter than last year's 385 pounds:
"Realistically, I'm not seeing as much of him."
Then, after laughter, Reid reverted to form. "Physically, he is doing a nice job out there," he said.
Play of the day
Early at the morning practice, wide receiver Hank Baskett made a leaping sideline catch over Sheldon Brown for a 10-yard reception from McNabb. Baskett reached for what appeared to be an overthrown ball and kept his feet in bounds.
Hearing from the fans
New reserve quarterback Jeff Garcia made a few early errant throws, including one that slipped out of his hand to the ground. Garcia is already getting a taste of those ever-so-patient Eagles fans, one of whom yelled, "You are horrible."
There is nothing like a long honeymoon.
Today's schedule
For the fourth consecutive day, today's morning practice has been moved up a half hour, to 8:15. The 2:45 afternoon practice will remain at that time.

Eagles Notes | Mahe's motivated to make the team

Posted on Fri, Aug. 04, 2006
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Every year at training camp, so-called on-the-fence players get axed. For the last three seasons, Reno Mahe has avoided getting chopped.
The running back, who also returned punts last season, is trying to make the team for his fourth time.
"I'm one of those guys you call a 'bubble guy,' so I never know what is going to happen," Mahe said. "You never feel safe."
There has been no shortage of opportunity to showcase himself at camp.
With Brian Westbrook sidelined with the stomach flu, Correll Buckhalter missing days here and there with knee problems and Ryan Moats sitting out with a strained knee ligament, Mahe has taken plenty of handoffs.
"It's been good to get more reps and give them more film so they see that you're doing everything to make this team," he said yesterday after another hot day at practice.
"The bad thing is - ugh! - your body," he added. "Your body is saying, 'No more.' "
Last season, Mahe led the NFL in punt-return average (12.8 yards per return). He also had 20 carries for 87 yards.
Special teams coach John Harbaugh said on Wednesday that Mahe is still the man to beat when it comes to punt returns.
Fight club, part III
The hot temperatures have caused hot tempers at training camp this year.
Offensive tackle Jon Runyan and defensive end Juqua Thomas exchanged blows following a play toward the end of the morning session. They grabbed and shoved each other around - much to the crowd's delight - as coach Juan Castillo ran over to try to break them up.
It took a few more teammates to intervene and separate Runyan and Thomas.
"It was the combination of everything," said Runyan, who is in his 11th season. "It's the 13th day of practice or whatever. It's 100 degrees out. It's the end of practice. All that kind of stuff."
Thomas walked by reporters with earphones on and did not comment on the tussle.
This was the third fight in training camp. Scott Young and linebacker Greg Richmond fought, while linebacker Trent Cole and Trey Darilek went at it last week.
As Runyan made his way to the sideline yesterday, the crowd was clearly on his side.
About a half-hour after practice ended, Runyan said he and Thomas had not talked yet but was certain that the rift would not continue.
"It was just one of those things," he said. "You're playing football and it gets out of control sometimes. It'll blow over. It's not the first time it happened, it's not the last."
Injury update
Brian Westbrook did not participate in practice for the second day in a row because of the flu, leaving Mahe and Buckhalter taking the majority of snaps at running back.
Moats missed practice because of a knee injury, which coach Andy Reid said is improving.
Also sidelined were wide receiver Todd Pinkston (Achilles tendons), receiver Jeremy Bloom (hamstring), fullback Jason Davis (fractured hand), receiver Derrick Fenner (hamstring) and cornerback Donald Strickland (knee). Linebacker Chris Gocong was limited with a stinger.

Back