• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Coaching Carousel

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
Figured we could use a thread to keep up with hirings and firings. Sounds like Lane Kiffin is the new HC at Arkansas. This should be fun

Saw somewhere yesterday that Joe Brady is being pursued by Texas to be OC. I'd love to be his agent for the next month

I thought all the talk on here in recent weeks about him being a HC candidate was extremely premature given his resume at this point in his career, but he’s definitely going to draw a lot of interest as an OC. Even if he is officially given the reigns at LSU there’s no chance of him replicating this season, or anything close to it, next year without Burrow and everything else we’ll probably lose to early draft entries. Knowing that, Texas may be a good opportunity to get himself on the fast track with a good, senior QB and a solid group of skill guys returning.

Charlie Strong anyone?

anyone else think strong deserved another year at usf ? I thought they developed a nice identity on offense with a run first o after their passing qb went down to injury. Granted they couldn't pass but for what they had to work with at qb did as good as they could on offense imo. Made some strides on defense. Strong seemed like a florida guy

Yes, Herman cleaned house this weekend and it's not done. Once he's given out all the pink slips the guy needs to take a hard look in the mirror and address the biggest issue with the program. Whether he can recognize things and overcome his outsized ego will determine if he has a sustained stay or is looking for new work a year from now.

Yes, Herman cleaned house this weekend and it's not done. Once he's given out all the pink slips the guy needs to take a hard look in the mirror and address the biggest issue with the program. Whether he can recognize things and overcome his outsized ego will determine if he has a sustained stay or is looking for new work a year from now.
Texas is the Washington Redskins of college football. It all starts at the top - the monied alumni and the arrogance born from past success. It trickles downstream and the program is full of the soft and entitled. Humility and hard work is needed. Been this way for a decade, at least. My opinion.

This is an odd one. I saw some theories already but...
He was riding on the back of a motorcycle with Bobby Petrino?
From what I'm hearing it's simply burnout. Hopefully there isn't something worse regarding his or his family's health. Jimmy is probably our best guy for the local speculation.

This is an odd one. I saw some theories already but...

He stayed as long as he did at Boise because he had a son that was sick and didn't want to move. Hopefully its nothing like that this time; he says its not family related and that he is just burned out and I believe him. Expect Peterson to sit out a year and then return and I hope its Miami that hires him.

Brady should be able to land a head coaching gig. It may be a year or two early but I would take a shot with him.

I could see a return to NFL as an OC as well. Only person who's stock rose more in the last 12 months is Burrow's

I understand how easy it is for a guy like Peterson to burn out. Head coach at a major program is pressure 24/365, and every coach I've heard discuss it says the high from winning is never close to the lows of losing. Not many guys can do it, which is why the few who can are worth a fortune.

You can see the effect it has on coaches. Saban looked tired all year. Even his posture showed it. Same with Urban last year, and Peterson did not look healthy to me this year.

Some guys step away and never come back, but I suspect Peterson will be back. Might even be at USC at some point.

I've always felt the two hardest jobs in the world are Mafia kingpin and football coach. Both will kill you if you do them long enough

Heard BC fired their coach. Not sure anyone can do any better at BC Addazio did. Ole Miss coach deserved to be fired after that incident the other night. Two years ago they get a penalty at Miss State for the exact same thing and now a moron is so intent on showing off he does it again, except it is more costly this time. Then Luke comes out and sounds like a moron himself in explaining how it happened. But no one is going to do a better job than he did at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Mizzou all fire coaches from jobs where it is impossible to succeed. Makes no sense, but I guess the schools have to pretend things will improve.

I understand how easy it is for a guy like Peterson to burn out. Head coach at a major program is pressure 24/365, and every coach I've heard discuss it says the high from winning is never close to the lows of losing. Not many guys can do it, which is why the few who can are worth a fortune.

You can see the effect it has on coaches. Saban looked tired all year. Even his posture showed it. Same with Urban last year, and Peterson did not look healthy to me this year.

Some guys step away and never come back, but I suspect Peterson will be back. Might even be at USC at some point.

I've always felt the two hardest jobs in the world are Mafia kingpin and football coach. Both will kill you if you do them long enough

Heard BC fired their coach. Not sure anyone can do any better at BC Addazio did. Ole Miss coach deserved to be fired after that incident the other night. Two years ago they get a penalty at Miss State for the exact same thing and now a moron is so intent on showing off he does it again, except it is more costly this time. Then Luke comes out and sounds like a moron himself in explaining how it happened. But no one is going to do a better job than he did at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Mizzou all fire coaches from jobs where it is impossible to succeed. Makes no sense, but I guess the schools have to pretend things will improve.

I agree that BC is crazy to expect better results than they had under Addazio but disagree about the firings at the three SEC schools. Arkansas in particular should be a decent program and Morris was clearly in over his head.

I agree that BC is crazy to expect better results than they had under Addazio but disagree about the firings at the three SEC schools. Arkansas in particular should be a decent program and Morris was clearly in over his head.
Mizzou is to SEC like Rutgers is to B1G an absolute laughing stock.

Addazio was exactly .500 in 7 years and made a bowl game every year but one. I know that doesn't sound great, but what exactly else are you supposed to accomplish at BC?

Addazio was exactly .500 in 7 years and made a bowl game every year but one. I know that doesn't sound great, but what exactly else are you supposed to accomplish at BC?

jmo but addazio is just horrible. no defense and he is what he is - bc has some tradition. Tom Obrian always did a nice job there

arkansas should of kept beliema. he was a decent coach all things considered. Mangino needs to get hired asap

How bout glen mason ? how has this guy never gotten a job after basically making minnesota into a wisconsin type run team every year ? he had great success there.

......Ole Miss went to back to back access bowls in ‘15, ‘16. I will settle for that level of success. If you want me to save you some time in crafting your “but they cheated” rejoinder I can link the story about the LSU booster who funneled money to a player through a children’s cancer charity or we can just agree that in the SEC everybody is cheating.

Don't bother boring me with why it's okay for Ole Miss or anyone else to cheat. I used the same excuse when I was six years old and my father saw right through it. The "well, Johnny did it" excuse only works with fan boys and political heads.

Cheating or not cheating has nothing to do with why Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Missouri are schools where it is impossible to succeed. Old Miss actually has it far better than those other two because they at least are in a state with lots of recruits. Their problem is they play a schedule, just within their own division, that's harder than most schools play in their entire conference. They cannot compete with Bama, LSU, Auburn, or aTm just on logistics alone. Then they have to play Miss State. That's not a recipe for long term success.

Arkansas is even worse off. They are lucky if the state produces two top recruits a year and when they do other states are as apt to get them as Arkansas. And where else are they going to go to get their players? Why would a Texas or Oklahoma or Louisiana player go to Arkansas? They have to play all the same schools Old Miss does, plus Old Miss. Arkansas has a tiny sliver of a border with Texas so they can at least hope the get a few Texas players although they never seem to.

jmo but addazio is just horrible. no defense and he is what he is - bc has some tradition. Tom Obrian always did a nice job there

arkansas should of kept beliema. he was a decent coach all things considered. Mangino needs to get hired asap

How bout glen mason ? how has this guy never gotten a job after basically making minnesota into a wisconsin type run team every year ? he had great success there.
Glen Mason? You mean the same Glen Mason that instead of preparing for the 95 Aloha Bowl he was canoodling with UGA brass? That Glen Mason???
I think he’s perfectly content living a nice family life in the suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul and doing work for the Big Ten Network in their Rosemont studios.

Glen Mason? You mean the same Glen Mason that instead of preparing for the 95 Aloha Bowl he was canoodling with UGA brass? That Glen Mason???
I think he’s perfectly content living a nice family life in the suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul and doing work for the Big Ten Network in their Rosemont studios.

I think your probably right after all the years no one hired him he may be a bit too old now. But perplexed he never got another job after doing a fine job at a hard to win program. Minnesota didn't do crap after firing mason for years and years until this years pj fleck. These low/tier mid tier programs need to realize there level. Kirk Ferentz has had mediocre seasons, but iowa always kept him. Thats the kind of coach these teams need to find and be happy with

Mark Mangino is my #1 wishlist as AD. ......guys like Lane Kiffin retreading makes you wonder what impact his dad helped his career. Charlie Weis son is like 21 and the oc on that team, he will probably have a head coaching job in a year because he's charlie weis's son.

Don't bother boring me with why it's okay for Ole Miss or anyone else to cheat. I used the same excuse when I was six years old and my father saw right through it. The "well, Johnny did it" excuse only works with fan boys and political heads.

Cheating or not cheating has nothing to do with why Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Missouri are schools where it is impossible to succeed. Old Miss actually has it far better than those other two because they at least are in a state with lots of recruits. Their problem is they play a schedule, just within their own division, that's harder than most schools play in their entire conference. They cannot compete with Bama, LSU, Auburn, or aTm just on logistics alone. Then they have to play Miss State. That's not a recipe for long term success.

Arkansas is even worse off. They are lucky if the state produces two top recruits a year and when they do other states are as apt to get them as Arkansas. And where else are they going to go to get their players? Why would a Texas or Oklahoma or Louisiana player go to Arkansas? They have to play all the same schools Old Miss does, plus Old Miss. Arkansas has a tiny sliver of a border with Texas so they can at least hope the get a few Texas players although they never seem to.
I forget who made the point, but TAMU makes it only tougher at Arky. Big recruiting issue for Arky

Kiffin to Ole Miss makes a lot more sense IMO. I guess Rich Rod as OC prolly wouldn’t work. Ole Miss has 2 young QBs that none of the SEC West want to see utilized and developed correctly. If Kiffin does go to Arkansas he won’t be there long.

Tom o brien took them to 9 and 10 win seasons before cashing in to take the NCAA state job. You can win at BC if you have thr right guy.

Most of the current college openings are coach’s graveyard jobs. The only two a coach can look at it and know he will succeed are Florida State and USF. The problem the next four face is they can be good teams and still struggle just to qualify for a bowl. This is how I rank the jobs:

Florida State—talent there now, endless local talent, no academic restrictions, great tradition. Only drawback is high expectations and comparisons to Bowden and Fisher
USF—endless local talent, no killer teams in their conference, no academic restrictions, moderate expectations, no reason a coach can’t win big
BC—Jesuit school so hard to get some players in, little local media coverage, some local talent, weather can help them late in the season, a good coach can have moderate success
Old Miss—plenty of local talent, no academic restrictions, loyal fan base, good traditions, but impossible schedule and high expectations
Missouri—little local talent, no identity, no tradition, no rivalries, fan base has lost enthusiasm, out of place in the SEC, no conference team they can count on beating
Arkansas—worst job in the country, no local recruits, weakest program in toughest division in football, no rivals, no tradition in modern era, no NFL guys of note they can mention to recruits, only pluses are reasonable expectations, loyal fans

Don’t know enough about the Group of Five schools, but my guess is UTSA may be the best job because Texas is loaded with recruits. Seems to me UNLV should be a better job than New Mexico and I don’t have any idea about Old Dominion.

CSU is a pretty good job for the Group of Five. Fairly new stadium and better amenities than most MW schools. Also then UNLV job is on Indeed if any of you guys are interested.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 11
I hate the court of public opinion
He’s an asshole, lazy and stubborn. Got fired at Iowa State as offensive-coordinator and then rooted against the team and coaching staff on twitter...while his son was still on the coaching staff.

He’s an asshole, lazy and stubborn. Got fired at Iowa State as offensive-coordinator and then rooted against the team and coaching staff on twitter...while his son was still on the coaching staff.
He won an Orange Bowl.

He won an Orange Bowl.

He did win an Orange Bowl with an offense philosophy that was “new” in 2007. Along with a once in a generational CB for Kansas in Talib. What he did with KU was remarkable but the fall off was pretty quick as well. 5-7 losing the last 7 in a row the year after Talib went pro.

Back