• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Big Ten Off Season Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Alright, the season may have just ended but it really is never ending in the college football world. National Signing Day is just two weeks away and we have some movement to come in free agency before spring ball begins. I think we can utilize this thread for transfers, coaching changes, injuries and any system changes among other things.

We have had some coaching turnover so far...

Penn State has a new offensive coordinator

Minnesota replaces their OC as well

Ohio State gets Kerry Coombs back into the fold

Michigan hires two new on the defensive side

I am sure I am missing a few here but those are the big ones so far. I will comment on the bottom two. Kerry is a big addition for OSU and if I remember correctly he is a heck of a recruiter as well. They shouldn't skip a beat. Shoop is a really good coordinator but awful as a recruiter. This feels like a quick stop for him and it will be interesting to see how he and Brown co-exist. Jean-Mary is an absolute stud recruiter and that was needed with Partridge departing for Ole Miss.

Rutgers is going after the transfer portal very hard to infuse some talent to the team. They have picked up I believe 6 guys so far. I like his aggressive approach to this to at least get them maybe somewhat competitive in the next few years. Obviously, they need to recruit better as well but you can get some pieces via portal that want playing time, no doubt.

Locally, I'll start with Michigan State first. There is many wondering if Dantonio will make any staff changes. Last year he reshuffled the deck and that didn't work out all that great. He is quite loyal to his assistants and that hurts him to be honest. I said during this year that I figured he would retire after this past season and am surprised he hasn't. Now, he just collected that big bonus so that could be part of it but next year figures to be absolutely awful for them. We shall see moving forward. They are in a very precarious position right now.

As for Michigan, they lost a few guys to the portal and Ruiz and Peoples-Jones to the draft but overall got back some players that may have been on the edge with great seasons last year. Ruiz is big loss, that is just a tough position. Now, as far as the other losses there is a lot of addition by subtractions (DPJ, Black and Dwumfour among others). Those types of players were already ready to hit the NFL last spring and were not all-in last year(yes I know it sounds weird with 2 of them). In fact, a times they wanted to shut it down and start preparing. The good thing for next year is the underclassmen are much more team oriented and want to be leaders. Win or lose, this should be a more cohesive bunch. I expect they will add 2-3 transfers before it is all said and done.

I wanted to look at the schedules for each team even this far out especially as preliminary work for RSW's and GOY's...and will do maybe 1-2 a day to get things started... we'll start with one here...

2020 Michigan State Football Schedule
Date OpponentTime/TVTickets
Saturday
Sep. 5
Northwestern Football ScheduleNorthwestern WildcatsSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 12
BYU Football Scheduleat BYU CougarsLaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 19
Toledo Football ScheduleToledo RocketsSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 26
Miami (FL) Football ScheduleMiami (FL) Hurricanes (HC)Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 3
Iowa Football Scheduleat Iowa HawkeyesKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 10
Michigan Football ScheduleMichigan WolverinesSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 17
Ohio State Football ScheduleOhio State BuckeyesSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 24
Indiana Football Scheduleat Indiana HoosiersMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 31
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football ScheduleMinnesota Golden GophersSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 7
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 14
Penn State Football Scheduleat Penn State Nittany LionsBeaver Stadium, University Park, PATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 21
Rutgers Football ScheduleRutgers Scarlet KnightsSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 28
Maryland Football Scheduleat Maryland TerrapinsMaryland Stadium, College Park, MDTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets

This schedule is not easy at all.

Northwestern, although they were down last year has traditionally been a battle for the Spartans for several years now. Usually Michigan State opens with a Friday night game but as of now this is a Saturday affair.

BYU on the road in the 2nd of the home and home series. Sparty hasn't had much success traveling West in recent years.

The Toledo game should be a win but you never know, especially with how the MSU roster is shaping up.

Miami comes north to the mitten state in the 4th week. This game keeps getting harder as Miami picked up Hunt's boy Lashlee and King is transferring in as well.

So, that is a pretty tough September to start with maybe one easy game and three where they certainly are not overwhelming favorites...and there is no break after...

Iowa at Iowa is always tough and this one should be no different not to mention the look ahead to the Michigan game the next week.

If that isn't bad enough, Ohio State comes to town in East Lansing after the Michigan game.

So now, off of all of that Sparty heads to Bloomington to play the Hoosiers. This should be another solid Indiana team and this series always has great games.

Is there a break yet? Nope. It is off to Minnesota to play the the Gophers.

Finally, the bye week hits about 3-4 weeks too late. There is no time to breathe though as it is off to Happy Valley to play what should be a top 10 team.

This us just a brutal 10 games in 11 weeks to start the season for a team with their returning talent level. It is going to be a feat to have 4 wins at this point.

The last two generally should be winnable games, but at this point do they have much left in the tank? Who knows.

Overall: This schedule sets up very tough. Yes, you get UM/OSU at home but this could rate out to be the weakest Spartan team in some time (yes, much less talented than 2016 team that won 3 games). I'll be very curious at what this RSW comes out at. They need to add a QB in the portal because they really do not have one right now to play at a high level. Interesting times in East Lansing....

Alright, the season may have just ended but it really is never ending in the college football world. National Signing Day is just two weeks away and we have some movement to come in free agency before spring ball begins. I think we can utilize this thread for transfers, coaching changes, injuries and any system changes among other things.

We have had some coaching turnover so far...

Penn State has a new offensive coordinator

Minnesota replaces their OC as well

Ohio State gets Kerry Coombs back into the fold

Michigan hires two new on the defensive side

I am sure I am missing a few here but those are the big ones so far. I will comment on the bottom two. Kerry is a big addition for OSU and if I remember correctly he is a heck of a recruiter as well. They shouldn't skip a beat. Shoop is a really good coordinator but awful as a recruiter. This feels like a quick stop for him and it will be interesting to see how he and Brown co-exist. Jean-Mary is an absolute stud recruiter and that was needed with Partridge departing for Ole Miss.

Rutgers is going after the transfer portal very hard to infuse some talent to the team. They have picked up I believe 6 guys so far. I like his aggressive approach to this to at least get them maybe somewhat competitive in the next few years. Obviously, they need to recruit better as well but you can get some pieces via portal that want playing time, no doubt.

Locally, I'll start with Michigan State first. There is many wondering if Dantonio will make any staff changes. Last year he reshuffled the deck and that didn't work out all that great. He is quite loyal to his assistants and that hurts him to be honest. I said during this year that I figured he would retire after this past season and am surprised he hasn't. Now, he just collected that big bonus so that could be part of it but next year figures to be absolutely awful for them. We shall see moving forward. They are in a very precarious position right now.

As for Michigan, they lost a few guys to the portal and Ruiz and Peoples-Jones to the draft but overall got back some players that may have been on the edge with great seasons last year. Ruiz is big loss, that is just a tough position. Now, as far as the other losses there is a lot of addition by subtractions (DPJ, Black and Dwumfour among others). Those types of players were already ready to hit the NFL last spring and were not all-in last year(yes I know it sounds weird with 2 of them). In fact, a times they wanted to shut it down and start preparing. The good thing for next year is the underclassmen are much more team oriented and want to be leaders. Win or lose, this should be a more cohesive bunch. I expect they will add 2-3 transfers before it is all said and done.

I wanted to look at the schedules for each team even this far out especially as preliminary work for RSW's and GOY's...and will do maybe 1-2 a day to get things started... we'll start with one here...

2020 Michigan State Football Schedule
DateOpponentTime/TVTickets
Saturday
Sep. 5
Northwestern Football ScheduleNorthwestern WildcatsSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 12
BYU Football Scheduleat BYU CougarsLaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 19
Toledo Football ScheduleToledo RocketsSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 26
Miami (FL) Football ScheduleMiami (FL) Hurricanes (HC)Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 3
Iowa Football Scheduleat Iowa HawkeyesKinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 10
Michigan Football ScheduleMichigan WolverinesSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 17
Ohio State Football ScheduleOhio State BuckeyesSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 24
Indiana Football Scheduleat Indiana HoosiersMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 31
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football ScheduleMinnesota Golden GophersSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 7
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 14
Penn State Football Scheduleat Penn State Nittany LionsBeaver Stadium, University Park, PATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 21
Rutgers Football ScheduleRutgers Scarlet KnightsSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 28
Maryland Football Scheduleat Maryland TerrapinsMaryland Stadium, College Park, MDTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets

This schedule is not easy at all.

Northwestern, although they were down last year has traditionally been a battle for the Spartans for several years now. Usually Michigan State opens with a Friday night game but as of now this is a Saturday affair.

BYU on the road in the 2nd of the home and home series. Sparty hasn't had much success traveling West in recent years.

The Toledo game should be a win but you never know, especially with how the MSU roster is shaping up.

Miami comes north to the mitten state in the 4th week. This game keeps getting harder as Miami picked up Hunt's boy Lashlee and King is transferring in as well.

So, that is a pretty tough September to start with maybe one easy game and three where they certainly are not overwhelming favorites...and there is no break after...

Iowa at Iowa is always tough and this one should be no different not to mention the look ahead to the Michigan game the next week.

If that isn't bad enough, Ohio State comes to town in East Lansing after the Michigan game.

So now, off of all of that Sparty heads to Bloomington to play the Hoosiers. This should be another solid Indiana team and this series always has great games.

Is there a break yet? Nope. It is off to Minnesota to play the the Gophers.

Finally, the bye week hits about 3-4 weeks too late. There is no time to breathe though as it is off to Happy Valley to play what should be a top 10 team.

This us just a brutal 10 games in 11 weeks to start the season for a team with their returning talent level. It is going to be a feat to have 4 wins at this point.

The last two generally should be winnable games, but at this point do they have much left in the tank? Who knows.

Overall: This schedule sets up very tough. Yes, you get UM/OSU at home but this could rate out to be the weakest Spartan team in some time (yes, much less talented than 2016 team that won 3 games). I'll be very curious at what this RSW comes out at. They need to add a QB in the portal because they really do not have one right now to play at a high level. Interesting times in East Lansing....
4 wins tops (NW Rutgers Twerps Toledo) and they probably lose two of those. Should be fun!

Well, Pennix is the starter next year. Ramsey will start somewhere next year. Win win.
Get that, just don’t mind IU doing some damage in football. They’d gotten better. And they always seem to at least have a couple solid QBs and one always injured so the other plays. I get why he’s going, I’d just selfishly hope to see him stay as he’ll almost certainly be needed.

He got his retention bonus almost 3 weeks ago. So, good retirement bonus. Interesting he waited till day before the 2nd signing day. The details of the deposition slowly start leaking out could be why? Who knows.

2020 Michigan Football Schedule
Saturday
Sep. 5
Washington Football Scheduleat Washington HuskiesHusky Stadium, Seattle, WATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 12
Ball State Football ScheduleBall State CardinalsMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 19
Arkansas State Football ScheduleArkansas State Red WolvesMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 26
Wisconsin Badgers Football ScheduleWisconsin BadgersMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 3
Penn State Football SchedulePenn State Nittany LionsMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 10
Michigan State Football Scheduleat Michigan State SpartansSpartan Stadium, East Lansing, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 17
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Scheduleat Minnesota Golden GophersTCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MNTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 24
Purdue Football SchedulePurdue Boilermakers (HC)Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 31
OFF
Saturday
Nov. 7
Maryland Football ScheduleMaryland TerrapinsMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 14
Rutgers Football Scheduleat Rutgers Scarlet KnightsSHI Stadium, Piscataway, NJTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 21
Indiana Football ScheduleIndiana HoosiersMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 28
Ohio State Football Scheduleat Ohio State BuckeyesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OHTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets

Alright, lets take a look at the 2020 schedule for Michigan.

The obvious first take here is that they start off out West playing Washington. Now, shooting back to the late 90's into early 2000's they made a few trips out West as part of home and homes and something funky always happened. The UCLA, Oregon and Washington games were maddening back then. Obviously that has nothing to do with today, but it sticks in the heads of the fans pretty big. Both teams will have new QB's and Washington will have a new coach. I look forward to having a great thread with @jimmymo to discuss this game all summer. The obvious thing here is JH needs to win this one. He'll have 3-4 media 'must wins' next year but this is one that actually counts in my opinion.

After that, they play basically two exhibitions. I don't see much to worry about here at all.

For the 2nd year in a row, Michigan and Wisconsin play in September. This year, both play the week before. The key scheduling part here is that Wisconsin plays Notre Dame the next week in Lambeau.

Right after that, Penn State comes to town. Last year was the first non-blowout in the 5 years of Franklin and Harbaugh. At this point, which is very early, I am very high on Penn St. The Lions play Northwestern at home the week before and have their bye the following week.

*One of the Wisconsin and Penn State games will be a night game

Off what should be two physical games, Michigan heads up to Michigan State. Now, as stated above I expect MSU to be non- bowl eligible but this is still a rivalry game. The Spartans play Michigan sandwiched between a game at Kinnick and Ohio St also coming to town.

So, two physical games and a rivalry game...that is a lot. No break though, as Michigan heads to Minnesota. This is a spot that I think is just brutal for Michigan this year. Now, Minnesota has their rivalry game the week before playing in Madison (very early this year), so that lessens the 'spot' for them a bit but they are at home.

Next up is Purdue, who many like to make a drastic improvement in 2020. This is the week before the bye week for Michigan. The spot for Purdue is fine, and its the last leg of a very tough mid-season for Michigan.

Bye Week

Games vs Maryland and at Rutgers follow to open up November. There isn't much to see here, other than off a bye. -

Game #11 is the usual game vs the Hoosiers, at home this year. This one is never easy(although 2019 it wasn't like previous years).

The last game, it shouldn't be close. OSU comes in this year with several patsies right before so they should be nice n bored and ready to take it out. We'll go 52-31 this time around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that pretty much sums it up.

That 4 game stretch from late September till middle of October will define their season. Obviously tough road games to start and end the season as well.

*To note, of the top 5 big ten teams last year (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan), UM is the only of the 5 that plays ALL of the other 4 this season.

Let's not make it into a flaming thing, just something to monitor and far as depth etc. Obviously these are disgusting allegations. What the heck with athletes?

Ryan Day dismissed Riep and Wint from the program. Definitely will have an impact on the secondary next year. Both guys had experience and were expected to contribute in a secondary that lost 3 starters.

Ryan Day dismissed Riep and Wint from the program. Definitely will have an impact on the secondary next year. Both guys had experience and were expected to contribute in a secondary that lost 3 starters.

Riep was gonna play but Wint was not an OSU caliber player and would've continued on special teams and that's it.

Hard to even comment about football honestly in light of the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Hendershot would be a huge loss for Indiana. As a defense attorney I'm naturally inclined to view any police report with suspicion, but man, that is a very "bad facts" case.

Hendershot would be a huge loss for Indiana. As a defense attorney I'm naturally inclined to view any police report with suspicion, but man, that is a very "bad facts" case.
It looks like they have suspended him indefinitely. I'm a big fan of his play. As it looks for now...too bad.

Spielman is a weird dude. How many all conference type players do you know that have talked to the media once in the last two years? I dont think he'll be back.

2020 Indiana Football Schedule
Friday
Sep. 4
Wisconsin Badgers Football Scheduleat Wisconsin BadgersCamp Randall Stadium, Madison, WITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 12
WKU Football ScheduleWKU HilltoppersMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 19
Ball State Football ScheduleBall State CardinalsMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 26
UConn Football Scheduleat UConn HuskiesRentschler Field, East Hartford, CTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 3
OFF
Saturday
Oct. 10
Maryland Football ScheduleMaryland TerrapinsMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 17
Rutgers Football Scheduleat Rutgers Scarlet KnightsSHI Stadium, Piscataway, NJTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 24
Michigan State Football ScheduleMichigan State SpartansMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 31
Penn State Football SchedulePenn State Nittany LionsMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 7
Ohio State Football Scheduleat Ohio State BuckeyesOhio Stadium, Columbus, OHTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 14
Illinois Football ScheduleIllinois Fighting IlliniMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 21
Michigan Football Scheduleat Michigan WolverinesMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MITime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 28
Purdue Football SchedulePurdue BoilermakersMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, INTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets

The Hoosiers had a heartbreaking end to the season in their bowl game vs Tennessee. That was one of my favorite bowl games just due to the great fan support from both schools at the stadium and it went to the wire.

Ramsey is gone, so it is Penix I assume?

Tom Allen is doing very good things down there. Lets look at the schedule a bit here...

Obviously, one heck of a test to start of the season when they head to Madison on a Friday night to get things going vs the Badgers. I am sure they would prefer this to be a bit later in the year as a measuring stick game but at the same point perhaps week one is the time to catch the Badgers off-guard.

The next SIX games will show us if Indiana football is where it really wants to be right now. They should and will be favored in every one of these games and they should win all of these. Four of these games are in Bloomington while the road games are at Uconn and Rutgers. I mean, how much easier can a schedule shape up? Imagine if they beat Wisconsin...they will basically be last years version of Minnesota going into the big boy games....

Halloween brings Penn State to town. Over the years the Hoosiers have had some very tight games till the 4th with PSU in Bloomington and not been able to play the full 60. You would think if they are at least 6-1 this will be a very hyped up affair for them. Here is the kicker...PSU has Ohio St the prior week in what I would expect to be a night game if some capacity is allowed. Win this, and they have some REAL confidence until...

A visit to The Show the next week. Just chalk this one up as a loss. Now, the Bucks will be off the PSU and Nebraska games but this should be a fairly routine win for them. I am sure the Hoosiers will be happy if they have beaten PSU the previous week but if not...

This Illinois game at home becomes very big. This is the must win in the 3 of 4 stretch with the top teams in the East. How is the teams mentality after the last two huge games? Are they beat up and fatigued? This game goes a long way to determining their fate of a better bowl.

The annual Michigan game is usually pretty close. Last season was a blowout but the IU injuries in the first half as they kept pace were pretty significant in my estimation. This is always a dog fight and a win in AA for their first win since '87 would be a benchmark win for them.

The season wraps up with Purdue, who is a lot of peoples sexy dark horse in the west this season. Again, this could be for the 8th or possibly 9th win of the season. A rivalry game as well. This could shape up as a very underrated game on rivalry weekend.

Prediction: 8-4

I do think they lose to the big boys.

I also think they do get to 6-1 with no upsets along the way.

Purdue game will be big to get that 8th win for them

A win versus any of Wisconsin, OSU, PSU and UM though would be very big.

If PSU is off a win vs OSU, then anything is possible in my estimation.

Dienehart saying 10 game season, all in conf for B1G. Seems best case at this point
Yeah, heard that too.

I heard some big ten east home and homes.

Please give us Sparty twice lol.

Few big ten teams might not play. I'm assuming Rutgers n Maryland?

Rashad Bateman opted out of the season this morning and will focus on prep for NFL draft. His Gophers career is over. It's the right decision IMO. He's a top 10-15 pick.

Michigan at IU the week before OSU.
Yeah, they flipped IU to a road game and MSU to a home game.

Warde may have finally done something right and got Big to correct the schedule snafu from 2013-2014.

Still kinda sucks not having MICH/OSU the last game of the year. Looks cushy for Ohio St and Wisky.

WTF. All Gophers rivalry games in the first half and then cake (and bye) for 2nd half.

I least we can now rule out that the reason for the original decision to cancel the season was political. :rofl:

Let's see, we can have our athletes/cfb stars work on the Dem get out the vote activism for us.
The election on November 3rd.
A few weeks of practice.
Yeah, around Thanksgiving sounds about right.

Their division champions can then play for the woke championship sometime in February.

Last edited:
Back