• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] First we'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we have experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

B1G Discussion Thread: Week One

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Thursday:

New Mexico St @ Minnesota -18

Northwestern @ Purdue -3

Friday:

Utah State @ Michigan State -25

Western Kentucky @ Wisconsin -34.5

Saturday:

Oregon State @ Ohio State -38

Appalachian St @ Penn State -24

Akron @ Nebraska -23

Kent @ Illinois -16

Texas St @ Rutgers -17

Indiana @ Florida International +10.5

Northern Illinois @ Iowa -13

Texas @ Maryland +10.5

Michigan @ Notre Dame +2.5

Hi everyone,

The Big Ten season kicks off 5 weeks from tonight. Hopefully everyone has had a wonderful off-season and is ready for this fall. The full league discussion thread i think has been a pretty big hit the past few years so @HUNT and myself will be heading this up once again on a rotating weeks basis. I do want to keep this to discussion of the weeks games at hand and any other future league spots down the road. Lets keep everything simple and try to stay on topic. The goal here is to learn, help each other and to make money.

With this being the inaugural thread of the year, lets really try to keep it to the first games and maybe what you see down the road from respective teams in the conference. You can add in any futures/props/etc but lets keep it as clean as we can because I am sure it will get quite long. If you are a poster that would like to post a play in here, feel free at anytime.

I used current lines as of today for the purpose of tracking. Please definitely post any thoughts on totals as well....

There are some interesting match ups in week one this year...

The Thursday night conference play opener should be a great game. Purdue seems to be a hot commodity with Brohm at the helm. Northwestern is always tough. This is a big game right off the bat for one of these teams if they want to challenge Wisconsin in the West. I really like that this game is isolated on the Thursday night lineup so I can get a good look at each team.

Row the boat opens up their 2nd season with Fleck at the helm vs NMSU. This has all of the excitement of watching my grass grow. It will be interesting to see how the Gophers are in year #2 but I am not expecting huge things out of them.

On Friday night the league has two games with both Wisky and Michigan State opening at home against patsies. I refuse to touch Wisconsin games anymore. It os prolly because I get sucked in by a team total or something and watch that clock drain. Or, I know some of you had Maryland last year and Wisky decided to kick a FG late to cover for the boosters etc. No thanks. Sparty should take care of business.

Penn State versus Appy St will be interesting to me. I need to know a bit more about this years ASU edition but this feels like too many points. This isn't the same Penn State team that we saw last year, albeit they will be pretty good. Last year ASU started at Georgia in another tough one and we got to see the Bulldogs first glimpses... PSU isn't on that level. This is a very initial thought though.

Ohio State opens with a P5 cakewalk in Oregon State. The Haskins era begins in earnest. I've followed him since High School and really wish he would have stayed pledged to Maryland(hehe). This will be the best QB of Meyers career in my opinion (yup, said it -- and have for 18 months). This game will be interesting to see the play calling and tempo of the Buckeyes more than anything for me.

Frost and the new era of Nebraska opens with Akron. We talked about this earlier today and this Nebraska team will be a tale of two seasons. Nothing is fixed overnight but I am sure improvements will be made. The 2nd half of the season is when they could make some noise. I wouldn't want to be playing them in Lincoln later in the year. As far as this game, no thanks for now.

Lovie and his beard lead the Illini vs Kent. Um, yeah. I'll tune in to see how the beard game is going, about it.

Texas St goes to Rutgers. Many will think that Chris Ash should start showing more results here in his 3rd year and this is a good opportunity for them to do so. The Bobcats are a team I actually followed a bit last year but haven't kept up on this off season as much. That is a pretty hefty number for Rutgers to be rolling out to anyone. I'll peek at this one harder.

Indiana goes on the road to Florida International. The Hoosiers travel anywhere at times it seems and here we go as DD chalk on the road. IU is that pesky little knat that will drive a few Big Ten East teams nuts later in the year, especially in Bloomington. That is generally when I focus on their games a bit harder.

Iowa hosts Northern Illinois at Kinnick. I'll say it right now, this game just feels funny right off the rip. We know the power of Kinnick. We also know they can gte in knuckle-draggers as chalk there as well.

One of the crazier 1st halves and games really last season was Maryland and Texas. Well, we get the Maryland home game this time. The Horns are highly regarded right now in the late-offseason. QB play will be the thing for the Terps. DJ is building something nice over there. This could be another very interesting game.

Michigan and Notre Dame renew their rivalry after a few year break. Give me your predictions on the total here if you could (I believe I saw some early numbers awhile back but will have to check my notes). This should be a fun one. We'll obviously talk much more about this one as we go on.

So, just trying to get our feet wet a little bit. It should be another great season. The East will be the best division on college football again and Wisconsin should walk into the title game but improving Purdue and Nebraska hopefully start to even things out in the near future. If you are capping division/conference futures so compare all the crossover games for each team. There are a few East teams just getting screwed and a few that don't...and vice-versa.

Anyways, lets start with this and start generating some talk.

5 weeks boys n girls...

Last edited:
Love FIU and Maryland as dogs, NMSU I kinda like

Nebraska team total over

Ohio St will curb stomp Oregon St

Purdue at -3 but nothing more

App State lean for sure

Just looking, that's off the cuff. Total for UM/ND around 46 I'd guess?

Northern Iowa or Northern Illinois? Don't know who they play, you said both

Love FIU and Maryland as dogs, NMSU I kinda like

Nebraska team total over

Ohio St will curb stomp Oregon St

Purdue at -3 but nothing more

App State lean for sure

Just looking, that's off the cuff. Total for UM/ND around 46 I'd guess?

I think you are in the right direction. At least for an opener. I'd like a bit higher. I have a bad feeling it goes lower during game week.

Northern Iowa or Northern Illinois? Don't know who they play, you said both
Fixed. That is pretty funny. I guess I still have college hoops in my head somewhat this many months later.

Neb new AD called out the scheduling discrepancies for the cross div games. Neb plays Ohio basically every year it seems.

Neb new AD called out the scheduling discrepancies for the cross div games. Neb plays Ohio basically every year it seems.
Yeah, we talked about this in the spring..

Nebraska goes to A2 and C-Bus and has MSU visit Lincoln.

Amazingly Wisconsin is playing at Michigan and PSU this year but gets the Rutgers layup.

Forget the exact stat but Harbaugh with multiple weeks to prepare as a favorite is a well supported trend. The line is also daring you to back ND as a home dog, feels like the book is banking on Michigan handling their business here.

Idk if I have the stomach to back the Michigan offense laying points on the road against a good team though -- if anything the ND TT under is the play, as I think Michigan has the best defense in the country this year and Wimbush ain't that dude.

Forget the exact stat but Harbaugh with multiple weeks to prepare as a favorite is a well supported trend. The line is also daring you to back ND as a home dog, feels like the book is banking on Michigan handling their business here.

Idk if I have the stomach to back the Michigan offense laying points on the road against a good team though -- if anything the ND TT under is the play, as I think Michigan has the best defense in the country this year and Wimbush ain't that dude.

Yeah, obviously the GOY lines were a bit nuts to open. My personal number, as of now is different but that isn't the angle I'll be looking at here.

Projected total? (obviously you see where I am going here).

will Mich push the pace at all?

This is the million dollar question.

In my estimation, they tried to milk as much time last year due to the bad QB/OL play and having to at times be down to the 3rd string QB. Now, they finally have a bona-fide starter and excellent depth. We'll see on the OL.... but I think they will play at a better tempo this year and that is also part of cleaning up the offensive staff a bit.

Is that Maryland QB Hill that took Texas apart last year 100% this year? I was very impressed with that kid, especially considering he was a true freshman. If he is 100% and now has a full year in the system I like Md and the points.

Have you heard any reports on Hill?

Is that Maryland QB Hill that took Texas apart last year 100% this year? I was very impressed with that kid, especially considering he was a true freshman. If he is 100% and now has a full year in the system I like Md and the points.

Have you heard any reports on Hill?
Lets see if @Timh can chime in...

the coaching staff acts like we're going to be okay in the trenches. i'm with the anonymous coaches....don't see it.

Iowa sophomore OL Tristan Wirfs is suspended for opener vs. Northern Illinois for his arrest for driving under the influence.

Iowa sophomore OL Tristan Wirfs is suspended for opener vs. Northern Illinois for his arrest for driving under the influence.
Plenty more to come around the country in the next 4 weeks (suspensions / transfers /etc).

Ty Wheatley has left UM. It was his decision. Apparently they were a bit surprised by it. Good blocking TE. Too bad.

Played: Patterson to start for UM Game 1 -190 3.80-2.00 units

I'd play it max but figure that a freak injury might occur. It isn't even a question though.

I could see value fading Ohio St and Wisconsin in week one plus 35-38. Big 10 teams haven't been covering huge numbers week one the last few years

I could see value fading Ohio St and Wisconsin in week one plus 35-38. Big 10 teams haven't been covering huge numbers week one the last few years

I have learned to beware teams with controversy surrounding them after Cam Newton. Ohio St may come out flat with all that's going on, or they may use it at motivation and obliterate an awful Oregon St team

Apparently Maurice Washington is the truth at RB for Nebraska. He was MVP of the high school all American game. Just barely qualified, getting the necessary ACT score a couple weeks ago. Tre Bryant also appears to be healthy at RB. Those two with juco Greg Bell make up a pretty talented trio of backs. If Nebraska gets decent OL play and finds an ok QB, they could be better than we think already on offense.

App States D coordinator is now at Georgia Tech with the 3-4 defense.

How is the new guy? Same type of D? Tough matchup out of the gates for the boys from Boone.

Regarding App St QB. Fake it till you make it confidence to me. Going to be tough, 1st game, Penn State D. Oh yeah

Confidence surrounds Appalachian State quarterback Zac Thomas.

Coach Scott Satterfield stood at the podium last month during the Sun Belt Conference’s football media day and pinpointed Thomas, a redshirt sophomore, as heir to the position vacated by four-year starter Taylor Lamb.

App St Defense from local paper. So much to ask. Last year cornerbacks coach. This year first game verse Penn St, now D Coordinator. App lost their top 2 defensive coordinators in off season.

Coaches Nate Woody and Scot Sloan have been gone for long enough now. The former App State defensive coordinator and co-defensive coordinator are now overseeing the defenses at Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern, respectively. Bryan Brown, App State’s cornerbacks coach since 2012, takes over the App State defense with the help of co-defensive coordinator Dale Jones. The Mountaineers will stay in the 3-4 defense Woody brought from Wofford in 2013, but Brown will likely add in his own wrinkles.

The App State defensive back group boasts as much experience as it does skill. Cornerbacks Clifton Duck, the preseason Sun Belt defensive player of the year, and Tae Hayes combined to register 10 interceptions and 18 pass breakups. Those two are enough to cause problems. Toss in safeties Josh Thomas, who played very little due to injury, and Desmond Franklin, the guy who replaced Thomas in the starting lineup, and App State has what might be the best unit in the Sun Belt.

App St HC is prolly looking to leave after this year cause people like him alot.

Here’s the annual reminder that Satterfield has been good at his job. While there really wasn’t a threat of him leaving last year — though things could’ve gotten more interesting had Dave Doeren left N.C. State — Satterfield’s name will continue to appear on candidate lists nationwide. Ushering a program through a seamless FCS-to-FBS transition, including three bowl victories, would do that for any coach.

Good point. So break the past ceiling for QB performance over the course of the season. All we got now is good red shirt sophomore with no real game experience. Too bad they dont open with Charlotte haha

Investigation just under way I thought?
No, this came up over a week ago. I doubt there is much to worry about. There are so many layers to it. Marquette obviously is involved and Cal from what was reported last week. I was kind of shocked that it never got talked about more.

Back