• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Art Briles Fired

Boosters want Briles suspended for one year and then brought back. Board to vote this evening. This ought to be great ...

Am I fucked up for hoping it happens due to the entertaining shit storm that will follow?

Not fucked up but perhaps not very empathetic to the notion that this would be a slap in the face to the victims and their families...a further indignity if you will.

Not fucked up but perhaps not very empathetic to the notion that this would be a slap in the face to the victims and their families...a further indignity if you will.

Yeah I thought about that but I think we can get the best of both worlds. Hear this asshole out

1. The damage to the victims is done and it was fucking awful damage
2. They are in for a horrendous fight in the courts
3. Baylor reinstates Briles leading to an amazingly entertaining shitstorm
4. Said shitstorm forces Baylor to settle for far more money out of court and essentially bankrupt themselves

Baylor loses far worse than before. I hate to say the victims win because they certainly don't win a damn thing after what they've been through but at least they get more money than they may have previously and get to see both Briles and Baylor get crucified publicly

I can't imagine this is even on the table but as previously said, insane amounts of money at stake here. Not to mention the new stadium. I'm not sure how everyone on staff didn't get canned. Even PSU thinks this is a bad idea.

Detroit will be in here defending Briles and telling us we don't know the whole story in 3....2....1

Yeah I thought about that but I think we can get the best of both worlds. Hear this asshole out

1. The damage to the victims is done and it was fucking awful damage
2. They are in for a horrendous fight in the courts
3. Baylor reinstates Briles leading to an amazingly entertaining shitstorm
4. Said shitstorm forces Baylor to settle for far more money out of court and essentially bankrupt themselves

Baylor loses far worse than before. I hate to say the victims win because they certainly don't win a damn thing after what they've been through but at least they get more money than they may have previously and get to see both Briles and Baylor get crucified publicly

if they fire briles and settle with him on his contract, which is worth 40mm--the victims in the upcoming cases are gonna have a pretty big advantage. "hey, this guy covered up my clients' rape, or if he woulda done something my client never woulda been raped, and y'all gave him 25 million (or whatever the number is), we want 50 million.

baylor is a private school, and any settlement probably won't be disclosed, but you gotta figure those numbers will be leaked and the jury is gonna find out.

you're right, baylor is fucked regardless, even more so if they let art back. but remember that PH never delivered a "report", so that can't be used in court, or subpoenaed and i don't know how the whole attorney, client privilege works when it comes down to the PH oral report.

also, how does the attorney, client thing work if briles is still employed at baylor, vs fired for cause?

I wonder how much he got of the 40 million due to him. That was a very quick settlement. Im thinking Briles , even with attorney fees made out very very very well here

[FONT=&amp]Newly uncovered text messages allegedly sent by ex-Baylor coach Art Briles show how poorly he handled situations where his football players were involved with drugs, guns and even an incident where a player exposed himself to a woman at a spa. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
The texts are part of a lawsuit involving ex-Baylor assistant A.D. Colin Shillinglaw -- he sued the school and several regents for defamation claiming they wrongly lumped him in as one of the main bad guys in the infamous Baylor football scandal. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Several regents responded in court docs -- essentially saying Shillinglaw's suit is just a "smokescreen" to hide the truth about the program under Briles ... and they included several damning text messages to prove their point.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Here are several incidents as summarized in the suit, complete with quotes from the alleged text messages. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
-- On April 8, 2011, after a freshman defensive tackle was cited for illegal consumption of alcohol, Coach Briles sent a text message to an assistant coach: “Hopefully he’s under radar enough they won’t recognize name – did he get ticket from Baylor police or Waco? … Just trying to keep him away from our judicial affairs folks....”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
-- On February 11, 2013, an assistant coach notified Coach Briles of a claim by a female student-athlete that a football player brandished a gun at her. Coach Briles responded: “what a fool – she reporting to authorities.” The assistant coach texted back: “She’s acting traumatized … Trying to talk her calm now… Doesn’t seem to want to report though.” Coach Briles texted: “U gonna talk to [the player].” The assistant coach concluded: “Yes sir, just did. Caught him on the way to class… Squeezed him pretty good.” The matter was never reported to Judicial Affairs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
-- On September 13, 2013, Shillinglaw sent a text to Coach Briles about a player who got a massage and "supposedly exposed himself and asked for favors. She [masseuse] has a lawyer but wants us to handle with discipline and counseling.” Coach Briles’ first response was “What kind of discipline… She a stripper?" When Shillinglaw said the player made the request at a salon and spa while getting a massage, Coach Briles wrote, “Not quite as bad."[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]-- On September 20, 2013, after a player was arrested for assault and threatening to kill a non-athlete, a football operations staff official tried to talk the victim out of pressing criminal charges. Meanwhile, Coach Briles texted Athletics Director Ian McCaw: “Just talked to [the player] – he said Waco PD was there – said they were going to keep it quiet – Wasn’t a set up deal... I'll get shill (Shillinglaw) to ck on Sibley (local attorney Jonathan Sibley).” Athletics Director Ian McCaw replied: “That would be great if they kept it quiet!" [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
-- In October 2013, Shillinglaw and Briles discussed their efforts to intervene on behalf of a player who was suspended for repeated drug violations. "Bottom line, he has to meet with (Vice President for Student Life Kevin) Jackson tomorrow morning. If Jackson does not reinstate President will," Shillinglaw wrote.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
-- On May 14, 2014, after Coach Briles learned from an assistant coach that a player had been caught selling drugs, he texted: "I’m hoping it will take care of itself – if not we can discuss best way to move on it.” The offense was never reported to Judicial Affairs and Coach Briles arranged for the player to transfer to another school. The assistant coach texted: “Him just hanging around Waco scares me. [Another school] will take him. Knows baggage."[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
-- On August 15, 2015, after a player was arrested for possession of marijuana, Coach Briles texted an assistant coach: "Sh*t – how about that – he’s gonna b (sic) in the system now – let me know what you think we should do… I can get shill (Shillinglaw) to call Sibley or we can.... Do we know who complained?" The assistant coach responded that the complainant was the superintendent at the player’s apartment complex. Coach Briles replied: “We need to know who supervisor is and get him to alert us first."[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
The court docs go on to detail Briles' alleged failure to notify authorities when he was alerted to a possible gang rape committed by players on his team. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
So far, no comment from Briles. [/FONT]

Y'all think this is worse than Penn St?

No but Briles is 100% directly responsible in all of this whereas I'm still not certain we know just how much JoePa knew so that kind of equalizes it. If JoePa knew everything that Sandusky was doing then he's still top POS without a doubt. The potential equalizer is extent of knowledge and coverup

Everyone down here wonders why the state / Attorney General aren't getting actively involved. They should be.

Bruce FeldmanVerified account @BruceFeldmanCFB <small class="time" style="font-size: 14px; color: rgb(101, 119, 134);"> 3h3 hours ago</small><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 2px 9px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">More
</button>

Per source these latest Baylor gang rape allegations were well known around the BU athletic dept at the time & among BU female athletes.

Bruce FeldmanVerified account @BruceFeldmanCFB <small class="time" style="font-size: 14px; color: rgb(101, 119, 134);"> 3h3 hours ago</small><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 2px 9px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">More
</button>

Per source these latest Baylor gang rape allegations were well known around the BU athletic dept at the time & among BU female athletes.

thinkthisisreal?

Personally, I just don't see this as a death penalty sort of situation. In severity it certainly is, but it really has nothing to do with the football program in the abstract, least of all the current staff and most of the current players. I am all in favor of lots of people going to jail for this - those directly involved, those who should have done something different or more and didn't - I am also in favor of plenty of civil suits, but I am not in favor of punishing the program itself because the program itself didn't do anything. Matt Rhule had nothing to do with this.

Personally, I just don't see this as a death penalty sort of situation. In severity it certainly is, but it really has nothing to do with the football program in the abstract, least of all the current staff and most of the current players. I am all in favor of lots of people going to jail for this - those directly involved, those who should have done something different or more and didn't - I am also in favor of plenty of civil suits, but I am not in favor of punishing the program itself because the program itself didn't do anything. Matt Rhule had nothing to do with this.

Totally get everything here...but from the bolded...

That precedent has been set in college sports unfortunately...others pay for previous indiscretions.

So what? Presumably, Matt Ruhle's contract addresses the issue, and if not he can get a job elsewhere.

So what you're saying is that you feel a program can do all kinds of fucked up stuff and change staff to make it so the program shouldn't be punished? The kids always cycle out, so it is just a change in staff.

I read a long article yesterday about basically how the NCAA will have no jurisdiction in this matter. A lot of people feel that Baylor would beat the NCAA in court as certainly Baylor would take them to court. If I come across the article again, I'll post it

I see what you're saying but stuff like this extends way beyond the football team. It's engrained in the university culture, the administrative higher-ups, the BOT, etc., etc.

Like we saw (and still see with PSU)...something this heinous doesn't occur in a vacuum.

By death penalty, i mean they should kill all of them. Football program has to go too. All kids not known to be involved can freely transfer

Quite frankly, the whole school should be shut down

This appears to be Penn St all over again; one scenario may piss you off more than the other, based on one's own biases and take, but basically heinous acts with people in authority doing not enough, if anything, about it once it became known to them. Probably easier to hate Briles more than Paterno because he is still alive but again...whatever. I would be fine with BU receiving like punishment as PSU; death penalty not warranted in my opinion as well.

VK's take is more overarching...if they want to shut down a shitty Baptist school in Waco...have at it!

If the people running the Baptist school are turning their heads from this shit, then yes .... shut it down.

It's a disgrace. People are entrusting their kids to these people.

This appears to be Penn St all over again; one scenario may piss you off more than the other, based on one's own biases and take, but basically heinous acts with people in authority doing not enough, if anything, about it once it became known to them. Probably easier to hate Briles more than Paterno because he is still alive but again...whatever. I would be fine with BU receiving like punishment as PSU; death penalty not warranted in my opinion as well.

VK's take is more overarching...if they want to shut down a shitty Baptist school in Waco...have at it!

I'm really stuck on this. What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but I'm having a hard time agreeing and am not sure why. Anyone else feel this way?

I said about a year ago that they should just have PSU play BU every week and then the rest of us can ignore both. Some Pitt fan was on the Husker board a week ago. He had bought PSU season tickets to watch the Pitt/PSU game and wanted to see if anyone wanted the NU/PSU ticket. No fuckin way I'd do anything that gives PSU a dime. I still don't see why the Big Ten didn't kick them out. And now the B12 should send Baylor on their fuckin bikes as well.

I know a lot of B12 members would oppose it...and I don't understand the mechanics that would be involved...but a Baylor for Houston swap seems optimal for the B12.

If the Baylor administration had any integrity, they'd shut down the football program themselves.

If the Baylor administration had any integrity, they'd shut down the football program themselves.

Well since they didn't shut down the hoops program after the coach covered up the murder of a player and tried to portray him as a drug dealer, they certainly won't shut down the football program over gang rapes.

I'm really stuck on this. What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but I'm having a hard time agreeing and am not sure why. Anyone else feel this way?

What he is saying does make sense but at the same time, taking an incorrect result (the PSU result) and using it as precedent for future results is problematic. If child molestation cover ups, rape cover ups and murder cover ups are not enough to get programs shut down .....

what is gonna be great is that Baylor will get less of a punishment for passively allowing gang rape and then covering it up than your boys got for actively assisting players/recruits for consensual sex between adults. #NCAA

I agree with you, and that's why I used the subjunctive (contrary to fact) instead of the indicative. I don't think they have any integrity.

What he is saying does make sense but at the same time, taking an incorrect result (the PSU result) and using it as precedent for future results is problematic. If child molestation cover ups, rape cover ups and murder cover ups are not enough to get programs shut down .....

what is gonna be great is that Baylor will get less of a punishment for passively allowing gang rape and then covering it up than your boys got for actively assisting players/recruits for consensual sex between adults. #NCAA

Conservatives always go hard and right when it comes to punitive action...everything is just so black and white; the death penalty is for very specific cases, see SMU in the 80's for correct implementation of such. And yes, you can do something grotesquely worse than SMU and not warrant the death penalty like PSU and Baylor. In these cases, death penalty not warranted imo but i'd have no problem with those involved being discredited for life and/or thrown in jail. Emotion deserves no place at the table when meting out punishment.

Back