• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Any thoughts on separate Group of Five football playoff?

TahoeLegend

I liked this idea the first time I heard of it and I still like it. It's no closer now than when the AD of Northern Illinois first floated the idea more than a year ago. but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work and that it isn't a good idea..

Everyone knows the committee will NEVER give up a slot to a Group of Five team no matter what kind of season they have. Several Group of Five ADs are against it because they prefer to pretend they are part of the current Power Five playoff, but they are delusional.

I know fans would watch it, I know handicappers would watch it and bet it, and the fans and players of the Group of Five schools would love it. I have a hunch it would be a big help to recruiting and probably attract more transfers form the Power Five schools

This writer discusses it and discusses some of the issues.

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/time-group-of-five-their-own-playoff-how-could-work.html

I really, really, really like the idea of the group of five having their playoff and then playing the winner of the non-group of five. That would be awesome.

I really, really, really like the idea of the group of five having their playoff and then playing the winner of the non-group of five. That would be awesome.
This would be fantastic. Plus we'd get to cap which shady refs they send ;)

However it would work, I prefer less games and a true champion. The system now sucks, it's business of course, but CFB needs to emphasize the College, not the Football, or it's just minor league bullshit. I've enjoyed COLLEGE football but it become commercial amateur football. Figure it out. They won't of course, too much money.

Just a hunch, the NCAA won't exist 15 years from now

However it would work, I prefer less games and a true champion. The system now sucks, it's business of course, but CFB needs to emphasize the College, not the Football, or it's just minor league bullshit. I've enjoyed COLLEGE football but it become commercial amateur football. Figure it out. They won't of course, too much money.

Just a hunch, the NCAA won't exist 15 years from now

What would replace it???

Winner of that plays Non group of 5 winner for the championship?

That matchup has been raised by various outsiders, VK, but the AD at Northern Illinois is not saying that's his plan. He just wants the Group of Five to admit they are never, never going to be included in a 4-team playoff, no matter how good a season one of them has, and to start a playoff of their own. In his plan the champs of the five conferences, plus best Independent play for a title.

I can see that happening, but I don't see the Power Five schools ever allowing their champ to play a game against the Group of Five champ.

It would seem they could make more money that way, but maybe not.

The revenue the P5 and G5 schools bring in is getting greater and greater. Financially it is getting harder and harder to really consider them in the same NCAA classification FBS.

That is part of the issue for some of the G5 schools, they do not want to be considered a class below the P5 schools. Even though now they share the same classification, in reality some of these schools look more like IAA/FCS schools than IA/FBS P5 schools.

I love the idea of the a P5 4 teams playoff using conference champs only and I would love that same concept for the G5 schools. You'd think the G5 schools could do pretty well a TV contract for that. BUT, there is one significant danger. What if the P5 schools decide they only want to play other P5 schools, something that has been mentioned and could actually happen at some point. The payday games for the G5 teams would go away. Utah State is going to get almost 2 million to play Alabama in 2022. That kind of money is critical to Utah St's budget, just like all those payday games those teams schedule and if that ceases to exist I am not sure they could make up the difference on a TV playoff deal once they divide it all up. Then there is the risk that they could also lose the big bowl money share they get if the P5 schools no longer want to include them since the G5 would have their own playoff deal.

I love the concept and it seems it could be a way to make more money for them, but it could actually lead to less. And we know everything is about money.

Back