Bet at 5dimes

2018 NIT, CBI, CIT Discussion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nc...cle/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Inspekdah

Friend of CTG
All of these changes need to be implemented immediately into the sport.

It's a poor product with an amazing 1 and done tournament concept. Time to grow.

eggman

CTG Elite Moderator
Staff member
This will be interesting to see how these totals pop on the NIT (how much higher?)
With the 3 moving back and the lane widening, bigs won't be able to camp out and the percentage from 3 will be much lower I think, why do you think it will go higher?

Timh

CTG Psychiatrist - Dr. Tim
With the 3 moving back and the lane widening, bigs won't be able to camp out and the percentage from 3 will be much lower I think, why do you think it will go higher?
Egg I think number 4 on the list is the major driver. The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds. This is going to increase the number of possessions in the game hence higher scoring. Also think the widening of the lane, is designed specifically for more scoring and to unclog the lane area. The 3P line change I don't think will have much of an effect.

eggman

CTG Elite Moderator
Staff member
Egg I think number 4 on the list is the major driver. The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds. This is going to increase the number of possessions in the game hence higher scoring. Also think the widening of the lane, is designed specifically for more scoring and to unclog the lane area. The 3P line change I don't think will have much of an effect.
Really good points. Didn't catch the 20 second reset part, and the lane clogging makes way more sense the way you describe it than the way I was thinking. Thanks for sharing that.

2daBank

Yea I don't really think 3 moving back a little is a big deal. Most these kids range far exceeds where the ncaa line currently is.

Son_of_Balrog

So are CBI and CIT tournies using standard rules? Their websites are absolutely worthless when it comes to providing this type of information.

I also recall NIT using the same experimental rules for last year’s tournament in regards to quarters and foul limits. I think I’ll go back and run the data on how much faster the games played with them, but I fully agree with Tim that adding the offensive rebound reset to 20 could push pace significantly higher.

Last edited:

KJ

Has Slept 5 Hours Total In Calendar Year 2018
Think the 20-second clock and NBA lane is new this year. And from what I gather it's only NIT...we'll learn soon, CIT tips off in about an hour.

Timh

So, Nebraska is a 5 seed in NIT and plays a road game? Am I correct?
Roger, and MD did not make the NIT which is just unbelievable to me and I guess they said fuck it to the other shit tournaments. Really disappointed that the young team doesn't get more practice and games. Turgeon has to be on hot seat now, and it will be interesting to see who the new AD is once we can get rid of that worthless fucking Kevin Anderson.

Timh

So are CBI and CIT tournies using standard rules? Their websites are absolutely worthless when it comes to providing this type of information.

I also recall NIT using the same experimental rules for last year’s tournament in regards to quarters and foul limits. I think I’ll go back and run the data on how much faster the games played with them, but I fully agree with Tim that adding the offensive rebound reset to 20 could push pace significantly higher.
I think it's only the NIT, but that is based off reading it somewhere and I can't remember the source.

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Wow, big 10 really got shit on. I don't necessarily like sparty but a 3 seed seemed almost rude.
I was poking fun at Nebraska because they thought they were deserving of the Big Dance. Now, not even a home NIT game. As far as Sparty, 3 is the right seed. Their resume was brutal. They only played the top 6 in conference once each. And, they have two wins against tournament teams.

Timh

I think the BIG image really never recovered from the ACC/BIG challenge......and truthfully out of the Power 5 only the PAC 12 is worse and certainly the BIG East is better.

KJ

Gonna guess USC play with quite a chip on their shoulders in NIT, they absolutely deserved to be in NCAAs and it really isn't close.

2daBank

Gonna guess USC play with quite a chip on their shoulders in NIT, they absolutely deserved to be in NCAAs and it really isn't close.
The reason I don't usually mess w a whole lot of this thing in the early rounds is cause I think that such a hard thing to predict. Honestly I don't see why your spot theory of them not caring doesn't come into play? Why should they give a shit bout the nit when they allegedly should have been in dance?

KJ

The reason I don't usually mess w a whole lot of this thing in the early rounds is cause I think that such a hard thing to predict. Honestly I don't see why your spot theory of them not caring doesn't come into play? Why should they give a shit bout the nit when they allegedly should have been in dance?
Unlike traditional powers I actually prefer this spot for USC. Not like this tournament is a letdown for that program.

Capaholic

We are typically on the same page sportswise... But why isn't it close... What exactly did they do to merit a tournament berth. I am not talking about any of the teams in the tournament. Just USC. What did they do, besides beat one tournament team (New Mex St) to make the Tournament. St Mary's beat the same team and beat Gonzaga. Beating mid-level Pac 12 teams isn't enough. Pac-12 was barely better than the Big 10 in RPI and a smidge better than the damn American Conference. On Twitter I campaigned for a week against USC and I was surprised the committee actually addressed that they did nothing. Oklahoma St has a much bigger beef.

Inspekdah

Friend of CTG
USC could have legitimately made an elite 8 type run. No other team left out could have done that besides ND.

Eye test says they were good enough. They went in and piss pounded Utah on the road recently... a very, very impressive win. 2nd in the PAC12, make tournament championship. Play with Zona for 35 minutes....

I agree, insane they didn't get in.

2daBank

I'll give USC this at least they scheduled themselves some out of conf test. More than you can say for some these other ones. Don't think it any kind of tragedy they not in tho.

GWarner27

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium
my eyes are bleeding reading that y'all think USC should be in the dance based off the eye test and zero wins over teams who received an at-large

GWarner27

before hearing about the vote i was gonna say UofL should be one of those questionable motivation teams, while BC should be very interested in being there.

Okie State is a question-mark, NEB is probably pissed and there could be an easy argument to make that they've been slighted for months

KJ

my eyes are bleeding reading that y'all think USC should be in the dance based off the eye test and zero wins over teams who received an at-large
Ummm bleed

It's statistically the worst omission in the history of the tournament. But eye test. Fucking crock of shit. Hope they run train on NIT.

GWarner27

they're awesome and probably could win a few games in the dance, but they beat nobody and lost their best player to a season-ending injury

There's absolutely nothing on their resume that makes them worthy of inclusion

KJ

It's a useless argument. They finished 2nd in Pac12. Fuck off to anyone who thinks they don't belong. And when you're done fucking off, fuck off again.

Hard to imagine anyone but dbag bracket fucks disagree. It's the worst omission in the history of omissions. Enjoy your little resume dipshittery. Fuck I'ma rant for too long.

KJ

so KJ you think USC should of been in?
It goes without saying. How ASU are in and not USC is ridiculous and I even understand noncom

Utah should be in. It's insane to me how little value most the world gives to the WCC and Big West, those teams don't inherently suck because you don't watch them. There are good wins in there.

2nd place P12 and conf 'ship game, USC not only deserves to be in but should be seeded around 6/7. It's mathematically the worst omission in the history of this sport. That's not an opinion.

twinkie13

Over 1 Trillion Questions Served
It goes without saying. How ASU are in and not USC is ridiculous and I even understand noncom

Utah should be in. It's insane to me how little value most the world gives to the WCC and Big West, those teams don't inherently suck because you don't watch them. There are good wins in there.

2nd place P12 and conf 'ship game, USC not only deserves to be in but should be seeded around 6/7. It's mathematically the worst omission in the history of this sport. That's not an opinion.
Im kidding bro

nbafan88

I'm assuming they are using these tournies as a good sample for testing these changes...

I'm not sure how I feel about the offensive rebound change but it sure is interesting

Sounds like good enough reason to take Northern Kentucky! Reminds me of Indiana last year or Auburn in NCAAF having to play a "crap" team in bowl. These big programs don't get up for NIT. They don't prove anything by beating garbage. Lets go *insert team name of No. Kentucky* !

nbafan88

Sounds like good enough reason to take Northern Kentucky! Reminds me of Indiana last year or Auburn in NCAAF having to play a "crap" team in bowl. These big programs don't get up for NIT. They don't prove anything by beating garbage. Lets go *insert team name of No. Kentucky* !
matter at all that its a school in the same state?

KJ

I'd challenge that by saying this may be the best NIT in my lifetime. Honestly can't think of one that's even close.

Zeke

Big Dick and Average Size Boat
I say any team who didn't get in doesn't deserve to be in. College football, yes there's some legit griping; A MAC school no matter how dominant they are will never have a shot. In hoops however, win the games on your schedule and/or win your conference tourney & you can get in. You don't make it, tough shit, play in the the kiss your sister tournament and give it your best shot. Fuck these sissies from Louisville who I heard petitioned to not play. They are clearly well on their way to becoming NBA primadonnas.

KJ

Curious to see how Baylor play, it's not crazy to think all one seeds can win 3 games and go to NYC