• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

2017-2018 Coaching Carousel...Willie the latest...

why do you say that? From my Detroit friends they seem to think he was defacto running the team the last few years. Maybe one of the Michigan peeps in the forum can elaborate but my understanding he is a very good coach.

I don't think the Detroit offense is all that dynamic and that is with a top notch QB in Stafford.

why do you say that? From my Detroit friends they seem to think he was defacto running the team the last few years. Maybe one of the Michigan peeps in the forum can elaborate but my understanding he is a very good coach.
Some weeks we love him.

Others, we have no idea.

Great news for UCLA fans. Wasted a lot of talent. I suppose in his defense, when he had his good teams he got decimated by injuries.

UCLA will always be team 2 in that city, hamstrung by state budget compared to USC...it's amazing they're competitive at this point. Focus on basketball and the other sports like water polo, volleyball, etc where you will always thrive

UCLA will always be team 2 in that city, hamstrung by state budget compared to USC...it's amazing they're competitive at this point. Focus on basketball and the other sports like water polo, volleyball, etc where you will always thrive

Yeah they should definitely focus on water polo.

just because they are in the same city as one of the top 3 programs in that regard doesn't mean they should give up, they have the capacity to compete everywhere at the top

They have no reason not to focus on everything at that school

just because they are in the same city as one of the top 3 programs in that regard doesn't mean they should give up, they have the capacity to compete everywhere at the top

They have no reason not to focus on everything at that school
They're somewhat stuck because it's a state school and one that is possibly more athletically diverse than any other state school in the country. They can't just open the checkbook like USC and Stanford can...and UCLA likely employs more coaches for more sports than any other state governed school in the country. Football and basketball are obviously the most revenue generating avenues but the hands are really tied as to how much they can spend....I think they even have men's volleyball as an endorsed sport there. It all comes at a cost.

Seriously can UCLA afford Chip Kelly? That will be a budget buster...for a state that loves to bust the budget

Saw on twitter that Sumlin out at aTm regardless of LSU game, and that Jimbo Fischer is front runner for job

FSU would be lucky if Jimbo left.
Im tired of being held hostage by Jimmy Sexton. 3rd year in a row. Even tje town people didnt come to the aid of the little boy that cried wolf.

He is a good coach. A little too loyal, but even that is not a bad quality. He will either have to clean house or find a new one. Fans will not accept his assistants any longer.

A lot of talk that when Arkansas fires Bielema they will hire Malzahn. Makes sense. Malzahn is from Arkansas. Arkansas does not have the potential of Auburn, but it has to get old to hear fire Malzahn every time he loses a game. And it is not just Malzahn, Auburn does it with every coach.

Auburn is like aTm. Fans at both schools think they are such wonderful programs they should win titles every year. Both schools do have potential to be good programs, but neither is the equal of the top schools. Same for Tennessee. All three schools are the same--even if you do a good job the majority of the fans will be screaming for you scalp. All three have delusions of grandeur with no reason to do so.

The SEC is a death trap for coaches. Brutal schedules, fans who are mad dogs, and an atmosphere where schools want to fire a coach after every loss. Only two schools can make the conference title game and all the other schools that don't make it blame it on the coach.

UCLA is an impossible place to win in my opinion. In their entire history only one coach has won consistently. They are in the middle of one of the great talent pools in the country, and they get good talent, but there is something missing there. I think the problem may be all the distractions. At Oklahoma or Alabama or most of the top programs there is not much to do more interesting than concentrating on playing football and working out to get better.

At UCLA there are a thousand things more interesting just walking around campus, and 100,000 just hanging out around LA. And the fact is they are in the same position as Auburn or aTm. Good, but dominated by other schools close by. SC has always dominated Southern California and was winning national titles before UCLA even came into existence. Even the fans don't seem to care much one way or the other. Mora gave it a good shot, but UCLA players just never seem to buy into hard work like the other top programs.

I know UCLA will make a run at Chip Kelly and he may be the answer. He could bring in outstanding talent, he likes the west coast, and his approach fits the west coast better than the SEC area.

I also expect Snyder to retire at K State and if he does they will make a run a Venables. Not sure Venables is wise to take that job. To me, D-coordinator at Clemson is a far better job than head coach at K-State.

Last edited:
A lot of talk that when Arkansas fires Bielema they will hire Malzahn. Makes sense. Malzahn is from Arkansas. Arkansas does not have the potential of Auburn, but it has to get old to hear fire Malzahn every time he loses a game. And it is not just Malzahn, Auburn does it with every coach.

Auburn is like aTm. Fans at both schools think they are such wonderful programs they should win titles every year. Both schools do have potential to be good programs, but neither is the equal of the top schools. Same for Tennessee. All three schools are the same--even if you do a good job the majority of the fans will be screaming for you scalp. All three have delusions of grandeur with no reason to do so.

The SEC is a death trap for coaches. Brutal schedules, fans who are mad dogs, and an atmosphere where schools want to fire a coach after every loss. Only two schools can make the conference title game and all the other schools that don't make it blame it on the coach.

UCLA is an impossible place to win in my opinion. In their entire history only one coach has won consistently. They are in the middle of one of the great talent pools in the country, and they get good talent, but there is something missing there. I think the problem may be all the distractions. At Oklahoma or Alabama or most of the top programs there is not much to do more interesting than concentrating on playing football and working out to get better.

At UCLA there are a thousand things more interesting just walking around campus, and 100,000 just hanging out around LA. And the fact is they are in the same position as Auburn or aTm. Good, but dominated by other schools close by. SC has always dominated Southern California and was winning national titles before UCLA even came into existence. Even the fans don't seem to care much one way or the other. Mora gave it a good shot, but UCLA players just never seem to buy into hard work like the other top programs.

I know UCLA will make a run at Chip Kelly and he may be the answer. He could bring in outstanding talent, he likes the west coast, and his approach fits the west coast better than the SEC area.

I also expect Snyder to retire at K State and if he does they will make a run a Venables. Not sure Venables is wise to take that job. To me, D-coordinator at Clemson is a far better job than head coach at K-State.

I touched on the Malzahn to Arkansas rumors a little in the SEC thread. If they beat Alabama on Saturday, I don't see any way he leaves or is let go. But if he loses, you are exactly right that he is right back on the hot seat, with a 9-3 season and going to a great bowl game, with 2 of his losses to likely playoff teams. That has to be tiring. And add to that that he is somewhat of a legend for Arkansas high school coaches, much like Art Briles was in Texas. AU's athletic dept is a disaster right now. New AD will be coming in, sanctions in at least 3 other sports are likely, I could buy that Malzahn wants to distance himself from all that to go back to his home and decrease the job pressure by 100%. As an Alabama fan, I am happy that this is all coming about right now, but I would rather Gus stay at AU for a few more years. They might mess up and actually hire a great coach

I touched on the Malzahn to Arkansas rumors a little in the SEC thread. If they beat Alabama on Saturday, I don't see any way he leaves or is let go. But if he loses, you are exactly right that he is right back on the hot seat, with a 9-3 season and going to a great bowl game, with 2 of his losses to likely playoff teams. That has to be tiring. And add to that that he is somewhat of a legend for Arkansas high school coaches, much like Art Briles was in Texas. AU's athletic dept is a disaster right now. New AD will be coming in, sanctions in at least 3 other sports are likely, I could buy that Malzahn wants to distance himself from all that to go back to his home and decrease the job pressure by 100%. As an Alabama fan, I am happy that this is all coming about right now, but I would rather Gus stay at AU for a few more years. They might mess up and actually hire a great coach

Malzahn is one of the best coaches in the country and Auburn would have a very difficult job doing better. These college coaches definitely should be under pressure to win since they are all making big money but I have a problem with the potential of a guy like Malzahn being run out of town because there aren't many better coaches in the country.

They're somewhat stuck because it's a state school and one that is possibly more athletically diverse than any other state school in the country. They can't just open the checkbook like USC and Stanford can...and UCLA likely employs more coaches for more sports than any other state governed school in the country. Football and basketball are obviously the most revenue generating avenues but the hands are really tied as to how much they can spend....I think they even have men's volleyball as an endorsed sport there. It all comes at a cost.

UCLA just opened the Wasserman football center this year for 65m

USC has a 70m football center

Obviously USC can outspend and outrecruit them in depth, it can do that to anyone

But their expenses and generally pretty even

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.c...basketball-revenues-and-expenditures-data-viz

Clemson just offered another of Venables' sons, and he's got a daughter a few years behind him. So hopefully we can tie him up for another eight or nine years while his kids finish school at Clemson.

Graham is gone, Sumlin is expected but of course he's still employed so that's the question mark

Frost here would be interesting, he was QB when they lost that memorable game to Plummer

If Mullen is indeed in at Florida, not sure where Frost lands...not overly convinced he goes back to Cornville

This is why democracy is dumb. People think hearsay is reliable info and feel informed then self-righteously talk about how many kids they have and form a mob to confirm each other. O well i didn't get the decision from a football aspect anyways

UT will continue to be a shithole as long as its half-witted fans continue to rule. Good for Bama

To show how absurd the story is (and what a habitual liar Mike McQueary is) Schiano and McQueary did not even coach together at Penn St lol

Lets be real, Tennessee fans just didn't want Schiano to be there coach. They think their mighty program is worthy of a bigger name. I wouldn't want Schiano head coach at Michigan either, but I would not accuse the guy of this insanity to make it not happen. Pathetic people nowadays, media moron Clay Travis should be the President for them.

Damn good get. Interesting to see how Penn State go without him

Amazing that an SEC school got a coach that wasn't a Saban assistant, wasn't their 4th choice (Florida) or just a complete fucking shambles.

If Nebraska can't land Frost, which at this point looks like they will the next best option for a program like theirs to turn things around is Craig Bohl hands down

Back