• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

*** Ryder Cup Discussion ***

LeRinkRat

Sunday August 12th: per CBS Sports the USA "qualified" players on points are Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson and Webb Simpson. still four "captain's picks" by Jim Furyk to go. I will be VERY surprised IF Tiger Woods NOT one of those off his Open Championship and PGA performances. others "in the mix" Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson , Xander Schauffele, Tiny Finau and Kevin Kisner. announcement of captain's picks will be three of those on September 3rd right after the Dell Technologies Championship with the final pick September 9th after the BMW Championship

Last edited:
per https://www.rydercup.com/pointsrace As things stand, the European Ryder Cup team would be Francesco Molinari, Justin Rose, Tyrrell Hatton and Tommy Fleetwood who make up the four qualifiers on the European Points list. They are joined by Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Alex Noren and Paul Casey on the World Points List. a host of "in-form" and experienced Ryder Cup players including Thorbjorn Olesen, Ian Poulter, Russell Knox, Eddie Pepperell, Sergio Garcia, Matthew Fitzpatrick and Henrik Stenson "lurking". European team captain Thomas Bjorn also has four "captain's picks" to make to complete his team for Paris

Tiger, Kisner whould be my picks on the USA side
IP, Stenson on the Euro

As for the other 2..........

Tiger ended up 11th in qualifying, which is insane considering he didn't play in any of the events that counted from 2017. There is absolutely no way that he isn't on the team, unless he gets hurt. Have to think Phil is guaranteed on the team too. There's a lot of ways Furyk could go on the last 2, but I think Kuchar ends up on the team. Tiger wants Bryson on the team, wonder how much sway he has. Something tells me it's a lot.

On the Euro side, Poulter actually bumped Casey out on the World points list. They have until 9/2 to finalize it, so there could still be some movement there. Rafa Cabrera Bello and Thomas Pieters both played well at Hazeltine, and both look to be trending upward. No way that neither Sergio or Stenson are captain's picks, if not both.

Some young players on both sides getting a little screwed by some of the older stalwarts not qualifying automatically

All about winning.

Tiger = lock

Phil = lock

Sergio = lock

Phil and Rickie are a great team.

Sergio is Sergio

Tiger got to 11th with one less year of qualification time.

gps_3 is correct that the European team top four OWGR plus top four Race to Dubai "automatic" qualification cutoff is September 2nd

European top four OWGR as of August 12th
Justin Rose #4
Jon Rahm #5
Francesco Molinari #6
Rory McIlroy #7
===============
Tommy Fleetwood #11
Alex Noren #13
Paul Casey #15
Henrik Stenson #19
Tyrrell Hatton #23
Serio Garcia #25
Rafael Cabrera-Bello #28

European top four Race to Dubai as of August 12th
Francesco Molinari #1
Tommy Fleetwood #3
Rory McIlroy #4
Alex Noren #5
===============
Thorbjorn Olesen #6
Jon Rahm #7
Russell Knox #8
Tyrrell Hatton #9
Rafael Cabrera-Bello #10

Alex Noren @ 2,729,725 points NOT playing this weekend. Noren a Swede NOT playing his "home tourney" ???
Thorbjorn Olesen 2,352,637 points playing Nordia Open in Sweden

"The Mole" and Rory BOTH on top 4 OWGR AND Race to Dubai SHOULD open two spots for Olesen and Knox on Race to Dubai list. "The Poulter-geist" at #32 OWGR and #24 Race to Dubai would need to be a "captain's selection"

as for Sergio Garcia and Henrik Stenson, former Ryder Cup "experience" is great IF there game is good. right now they both STINK. will see HOW Stenson does in the Wyndham Championship PGA event this week where he is 15-1 2nd favorite with Matsuyama. Garcia also playing Wyndham odds 30-1 BOTH were CUT at the PGA Championship and Garcia a CUT at the Open Championship. RCB also playing Wyndham

Last edited:
I'd love to see Finau get a shot, but highly doubt he gets selected with those last two picks, assuming Tiger and Phil are locks.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/furyk-core-ryder-cup-team-obvious-pick-woods-57150841

Furyk gets core of Ryder Cup team, and obvious pick in Tiger Woods

The upside to Jim Furyk finishing so early at the PGA Championship was being able to watch the final round on television, partly as a player but mostly as the Ryder Cup captain. And that meant seeing plenty of Tiger Woods.

"I really wanted to see kind of how Tiger was playing, and I only got to see ... I don't know, like every shot he hit for the rest of the day," Furyk said Monday with a laugh. "It was great theater, really."

Ultimately, nothing really changed.

Woods was as dynamic as he has been all year, shot 6-under 64 for the lowest final round of his career in the majors, had his lowest 72-hole scoring (any of his) majors, captivated one of the largest and loudest galleries in golf and was runner-up to Brooks Koepka by two shots.

He's a threat at majors or anywhere else. He gets attention inside and outside the ropes.

As for the Ryder Cup, Furyk ended up with the same eight players who started the week atop the U.S. standings.

Brooks Koepka, who won three of the eight majors during the qualifying period, overtook Dustin Johnson to lead the points list, and the next six players stayed the same. Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler and Webb Simpson.

Woods, who started the year with zero points, moved from No. 20 to No. 11 on the strength of his tie for sixth at the British Open, where he briefly led during the final round, and his runner-up at Bellerive.

Furyk was not willing to say what appears certain for everyone else: Woods will be in France with golf clubs for the Sept. 28-30 matches.

another consideration for adding Tiger Woods is NO golfer draws TV ratings like he does. the PGA coverage on CBS had it's BEST ratings in the last ten years and I am SURE Jim Furyk KNOWS THAT!!! even people who are NOT normally golf fans WILL WATCH when Tiger is playing. he is MONEY!!!

Last edited:
Thorbjorn Olesen [-4] for tourney [-11] tied 20th held off a challenge from Matthew Fitzpatrick [-6] for [-16] tied 7th to grab the 8th "points" spot on the European Rider Cup team at the Made In Denmark September 2nd. the "Matthew Mouse" would have had to WIN and Thor finish lower than 6th to catch him. Thomas Bjorn will make his four "captains pick" Wednesday September 5th. would NOT be surprised IF the "Matthew Mouse" along with Matt Wallace who WINS his third tourney of the season in Denmark to go along with the BMW International and Indian Open. ONLY problem with "WALL-E" is he is either winning, in the Top 5 OR a CUT and was a CUT in the Open de France earlier in the year at the Ryder Cup course at Le Golf National, Paris. also Rafael Cabrera-Bello who is playing well in the Dell Tech FedEx playoff tourney in the states although he was a CUT at Open de France too

Every time I think Furyk should just invite Phil as an assistant captain only he fires a 4th round 63 to keep himself on the squad.

AGAIN DeChambeau and Finau showing WHY they should be captain's picks by Jim Furyk this week at the Dell Tech. third pick tomorrow probably between Phil and Tiger

Tuesday September 4th: American captain Jim Furyk selected Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Bryson DeChambeau (well DUH!!!) as his three post Dell Tech picks for the Ryder Cup team. has one more selection after the BMW Championship this week

European captain Thomas Bjorn set to announce his four additions Wednesday September 5th

This dramatic reveal has to be the most idiotic idea in golf and that's tough to do. No one cares lol...pick a f'n team and go play, hope it holds a candle to the NFL on Sunday. So stupid.

This dramatic reveal has to be the most idiotic idea in golf and that's tough to do. No one cares lol...pick a f'n team and go play, hope it holds a candle to the NFL on Sunday. So stupid.

playing at Le Golf National outside Paris, France so NO broadcast conflict with either college football Saturday OR NFL Sunday due to time difference :nonofinger:

Euro team captain's picks are: Stenson, Sergio, Casey and Poulter. These picks are either genius or disaster

Euro team captain's picks are: Stenson, Sergio, Casey and Poulter. These picks are either genius or disaster

I say BOTH Henrik Stenson AND Sergio Garcia = DISASTER. NO Matthew Fitzpatrick ??? NO Matt Wallace with his 3 WINS this season the last just last week at Made in Denmark ??? BOTH that one and the Indian Open he won in playoffs. I can somewhat understand "The Poulter-geist" and Casey BUT Stenson been fighting an elbow injury and Garcia just NOT in form right now. I would even take Eddie Pepperell with his excellent Irish and British Opens over those two. hell, even Thomas Bjorn's vice-captain "Big Bear" Lee Westwood is playing better than Stenson or Garcia. "The Matthew Mouse" and "WALL-E" gotta be PISSED!!! ALL the Euro Tour commentators on Golf Channel had BOTH picked end of the Made in Denmark:thumbsdown8:

well HOW you like it NOW, Thomas Bjorn ??? "The Matthew Mouse" Fitzpatrick WINS the Omega European Masters in a playoff over Lucas Bjerregaard and is NOW #13 in Race to Dubai points. Stenson is #30 and Garcia is #39 :confused:

I say BOTH Henrik Stenson AND Sergio Garcia = DISASTER. NO Matthew Fitzpatrick ??? NO Matt Wallace with his 3 WINS this season the last just last week at Made in Denmark ??? BOTH that one and the Indian Open he won in playoffs. I can somewhat understand "The Poulter-geist" and Casey BUT Stenson been fighting an elbow injury and Garcia just NOT in form right now. I would even take Eddie Pepperell with his excellent Irish and British Opens over those two. hell, even Thomas Bjorn's vice-captain "Big Bear" Lee Westwood is playing better than Stenson or Garcia. "The Matthew Mouse" and "WALL-E" gotta be PISSED!!! ALL the Euro Tour commentators on Golf Channel had BOTH picked end of the Made in Denmark:thumbsdown8:

Read somewhere that one FedEx Cup playoff win was worth more world ranking points than all 3 of Matt Wallace's wins combined. I get that the fields were vastly different, but winning on any tour is tough to do. Bjorn definitely relying on Sergio to be able to turn it on. If Stenson is close to 100% by the start, I think that's a fine pick. Same with Poulter and Casey. They just didn't do Bjorn any favors by not qualifying automatically

FINAU is in

Should be a natural for best ball matches

Exactly. He has the ability to make 7-10 birdies pretty much anytime he plays

This US team looks filthy on paper. And the US also appears to have much stronger young players, which bodes well for future Ryder Cups

The confidence oozing out of The Cat right now is ridiculous.

He'll prolly go 4-0-1 this week and cement himself in Ryder Cup lore...

Tiger/Reed
Jt/Jordan
Phil/Bryson
Bubba/Webb
Finau/Koepka
Fowler/DJ

Anyone else seeing this as the way they will be paired?

Paulina is there.

I think they said they will announce the first pairings tomorrow at 11:00 am during the Opening Ceremonies.

Interested in feedback on why the Euros are so dominant in foursomes in recent history?

Euros w/significant participation
Sergio 9-3-3
Poulter 4-1
Rose 5-2-1

Americans with significant participation
Mickelson 5-7-4
Woods 4-8-1

Last edited:
Ive always wondered it too, it is such a sss that it may just be outliers

I do think the camaraderie factor the media keeps bringing up may have some merit in a team event, but with all the new blood on the US that shouldnt be an issue

Has anyone looked at course types and how it may effect?

Back