• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

Suspending baseball...

In 10 years the team that loses the World Series will insist on getting participation trophies

this made me laugh pretty hard, right up until I realized it probably not a joke, sadly it is most likely a accurate prediction. Ask that pansy ass kershaw and rest of Dodgers they think the sign stealing incident means they were the champs. Lol

There aren't little kids looking up to baseball players anymore...that's their problem. Football and hoops have taken over....the average age of a baseball fan according to the last article I read is 57. The game is dying...and they don't know how to fix it.

Basketball has never been played at a higher level.

Hockey with their rule changes has improved their game ten times over.

Football will always be king.

Hell, UFC is even a company that gets it...they have turned themselves into a billion dollar business.

Baseball is the old guy yelling at the cloud....the game that I once considered my favorite sport is hard to watch for me now. So there aren't little kids looking up to emulate any of these guys IMO

not sure that true. When I go watch my nephew play little league still seems like quite a few kids love baseball.

Man this really seems like it's not happening huh. Unreal.

If it wasn't for fantasy I think I would be just about done with baseball as long as the Royals stink.

Man this really seems like it's not happening huh. Unreal.

If it wasn't for fantasy I think I would be just about done with baseball as long as the Royals stink.
I tell ya what, provided the NHL/NBA do come back for their playoffs...

Baseball would be doing damage a la 1994 here..the sports landscape would be almost full till CFB/NFL arrived (again...lotsa contingencies here).

That's a lot of things to fall in place but after a void of sport there may just be enough to get people through the rest of the year without missing baseball.

You mentioned your home team...I'm in the same boat. My team stinks. I have no reason to go to more than one game a year and only watch their games in passing.

We shall see. Plenty of twists and turns to come.

I tell ya what, provided the NHL/NBA do come back for their playoffs...

Baseball would be doing damage a la 1994 here..the sports landscape would be almost full till CFB/NFL arrived (again...lotsa contingencies here).

That's a lot of things to fall in place but after a void of sport there may just be enough to get people through the rest of the year without missing baseball.

You mentioned your home team...I'm in the same boat. My team stinks. I have no reason to go to more than one game a year and only watch their games in passing.

We shall see. Plenty of twists and turns to come.

I can’t help but feel that there are a lot of games going on involving the media here and that they eventually will come to some kind of agreement in the next couple of weeks. But hey, I’m just an optimistic guy.

I can’t help but feel that there are a lot of games going on involving the media here and that they eventually will come to some kind of agreement in the next couple of weeks. But hey, I’m just an optimistic guy.
Optimistic is good.

The players are going to have to give back some money or there will be no season. With no fans at games the players just have to accept less pay. If not they can all sit on their asses and hope that the fans come back in 2021.

Last edited:
I know it's all negotiating and will be for awhile but that first owner's proposal on players salaries is hilarious.

Painting the corners! I saw Greg Maddux pitch live in Chicago at Wrigley....Pitched a 2 hit 9 inning shutout, game was done in 80 minutes i believe,..just strike after strike after strike.
I like the guy how can you not. He was awesome. Great personality too. Lives in Vegas.

Owners know in general players will not get any sympathy from the public on salary cuts

but a tatic like this during a time like this seems ridiculous( different if they were negotiating a new CbA)

I still think they find a way to play

I think your anger is misguided

Yea I was thinking about editing and adding owners in there somewhere lol. That was just an instant reaction.... I want some baseball! A few extra percentage points of revenue or salary between the ultra rich...especially given reduction of games...seem like a really petty obstacle. Can‘t stand when players say their health is at risk tho.

Last edited:
Without gate revenue these players flat out have to take a pay cut and screw them all if they refuse. With all the money that Scherzer has made he should be thinking of the lesser players and their needs to get paid and accrue service time. There is absolutely no reason why the owners should pay the pro rated salaries when their revenue streams have dried up dramatically.

The wife and I go to roughly 15 Braves games a year. Roughly $2,000 just for tickets and parking. If they cant figure a resolution for this year, it's going to be hard for me to fork the money next year.

I'm usually on the players side in terms of labor, especially in the NFL. But I'm not choosing a side here. Just figure it out and suck it up for one abbreviate season.

The wife and I go to roughly 15 Braves games a year. Roughly $2,000 just for tickets and parking. If they cant figure a resolution for this year, it's going to be hard for me to fork the money next year.

I'm usually on the players side in terms of labor, especially in the NFL. But I'm not choosing a side here. Just figure it out and suck it up for one abbreviate season.

I'm with you. Since I've moved to Chicago, I've averaged about 12 games at Wrigley a year and usually do a weekend series in Cincy. It's a good chunk of change, but something I always look forward to. Not sure I will feel the same if they don't work this out.

Without gate revenue these players flat out have to take a pay cut and screw them all if they refuse. With all the money that Scherzer has made he should be thinking of the lesser players and their needs to get paid and accrue service time. There is absolutely no reason why the owners should pay the pro rated salaries when their revenue streams have dried up dramatically.

Then they shouldn't have made the deal with the players in march. Pro sports owners are generally billionaires. They can and should be willing to take a loss on half a season. Players have little incentive to take 80 percent pay cuts to play. I would tell my employer to fuck off just as the players are doing.

Then they shouldn't have made the deal with the players in march. Pro sports owners are generally billionaires. They can and should be willing to take a loss on half a season. Players have little incentive to take 80 percent pay cuts to play. I would tell my employer to fuck off just as the players are doing.

this is what I’m unclear about

wasn’t that deal with the understanding that fans would be back in some capacity ?

If so , I do think the owners have some leg to stand on

but Both sides are treating this like a CBA , which is the wrong tatic

Going be interesting to see what happens . Owners are being very short sighted here IMO. As cub has said ultimately you take a bath if you are an owner if you have to for this season

I do wonder if the Union is as strong as it once was , I read over 60% of baseball players make under a million

One theory has it that that’s one of the reasons the cuts for those players were much less was to try to get them on board . I’m not sure it will work

If I’m Mike Trout do I play for a fraction of my salary or do I stay home with my wife who about to give birth . I don’t know , when I’m set to make 1/2 billion dollars in my lifetime , I probably sit at home if they want me to take a massive pay cut

what’s the point of even playing the season if your biggest stars just say fuck it ?

Last edited:
I think there's room for the players to move a bit, but nowhere near what the owners are asking for. Players should say we're ready to play for the contracts we've signed, dont lock us out. And if they do lock them out when it's legal to play, then take em to court.

The owners put it in the agreement that the players would get the pro rated salaries provided that fans are allowed to attend. Without the gate revenue the players shouldn't get their full salaries. One other thing just because most of the owners are billionaires doesn't mean that they should have to incur huge losses and make no mistake about it small market teams will be taking a huge hit without the gate revenue.

When more than 30 million people have lost their jobs no one wants to hear Max Scherzer complain that he won't make over 30 million this season. Give the owners credit for keeping their mouths shut knowing that people don't sympathize with either side. At this point I just say fuck it I don't care if they ever come back.

When more than 30 million people have lost their jobs no one wants to hear Max Scherzer complain that he won't make over 30 million this season. Give the owners credit for keeping their mouths shut knowing that people don't sympathize with either side. At this point I just say fuck it I don't care if they ever come back.

I get the making 30 million a year and only making 5 isn't a good look. But I bet someone would say that about us who makes 20k a year. They also have different lifestyles than normal people.

I get the making 30 million a year and only making 5 isn't a good look. But I bet someone would say that about us who makes 20k a year. They also have different lifestyles than normal people.

I totally understand why Scherzer or any other guys would be upset at the thought of taking a huge pay cut but you've got to be smarter than to complain about it to the media. The average guy is never going to sympathize with professional athletes complaining when most are lucky to be able to pay their bills each month. Take your concerns up with Tony Clark and be smart enough to know that people aren't going to side with spoiled athletes.

The guys that are going to suffer are the rookies and the players that are fringe major leaguers that are just looking to get settled in and establish themselves. As for guys like Scherzer that have made a ton of money they should just shut up and take the hit for the fringe guys who can't afford to sit out a season.

this is what I’m unclear about

wasn’t that deal with the understanding that fans would be back in some capacity ?

If so , I do think the owners have some leg to stand on

but Both sides are treating this like a CBA , which is the wrong tatic

that exactly what happening and it doesn’t help the cba is up next year. Both sides scared to death anything they concede now will hurt them when the cba negotiations start.

Both sides really pissing me off, anytime one the players says some gibberish about not wanting to take a pay cut while risking their lives I wanna throw something at them! The owners no better tho, Mfers have always refused to open up their books but now they think we should trust them about amount of money they gonna lose! Yea right, lol. Fact of the matter is it don’t even matter if they were gonna take a loss this season, their equity in the team continues to grow every year like clockwork!

I don’t blame the players one bit for refusing another huge pay cut but spare me the crap about safety, they just playing to the morons who actually believe that crap. I ain’t the one!! Just tell it like it is, whenever owners have a big year and make more money than expected the players don’t see a dime of it, so why should they take the hit when owners lose money? That how ownership works, you worth all that money cause you take these kind of risk, can’t pass that down to the labor when things don’t go as well if you not giving them bonuses when things are good!!

At this point I’m really not optimistic at all. The only hope I have is the thought neither side can be so stupid to think everything be ok if they don’t play this year! The loss owners might take by playing this year will be nothing compared to the nose dive the value of those teams will take moving forward if they don’t play! I’m not sure how league survives as is if nba and nhl manage to finish their seasons and mlb don’t play? The backlash will be worse than following the ‘94 strike imo, and only reason they survived that was the juice era bringing everyone back!! It will crush me if they blow it, I’m one the few ppl that still loves baseball! I don’t wanna see it self destruct!!

I totally understand why Scherzer or any other guys would be upset at the thought of taking a huge pay cut but you've got to be smarter than to complain about it to the media. The average guy is never going to sympathize with professional athletes complaining when most are lucky to be able to pay their bills each month. Take your concerns up with Tony Clark and be smart enough to know that people aren't going to side with spoiled athletes.

The guys that are going to suffer are the rookies and the players that are fringe major leaguers that are just looking to get settled in and establish themselves. As for guys like Scherzer that have made a ton of money they should just shut up and take the hit for the fringe guys who can't afford to sit out a season.

they sit out the season and they better understand those 30mil a year paydays will never come back! Not saying they should take that kind of pay cut but fact is players and owners all in for a rude awakening if they don’t play. The scherzer’s and trouts of the world might be fine as they already set for life, the owners be fine cause they billionaires, but the 65% of the league who makes less than 1 mil per year will have to go get real jobs after the league goes under!! Lol

Back