• [3/29/2024 @ 1:10 AM] We'd like to extend our deepest apologies for the nearly 20 hours of downtime we experienced Wednesday (3/27) into Thursday (3/28). In short, our server host paused our service due to copywritten material being posted in certain forums (specifically streaming links). *** PLEASE NOTE *** ABSOLUTELY NO LINKS or talks of links to illegal, copywritten material like streaming services can be posted at CTG moving forward. If you find these links, please PM a Moderator or Partner immediately. We appreciate your cooperation.

USMNT road to 2022 thread

braves

U.S. Soccer ✔ @ussoccer
Follow
.@TimHowardGK is taking a #USMNT break (but not retiring!) until Sept. 2015 to spend more time with family.
12:27 PM - 21 Aug 2014
707 RETWEETS 849 FAVORITES

Retweet

Favorite

Actually thought he was going to retire.

Keeper position is fine, position I'm least worried about. Guzan is solid and there is good depth behind him

Landon Donovan is going to get his swan song with the United States national team after all.

USMNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann announced on Tuesday that he will call the US icon into the team’s international friendly against Ecuador in October, giving Donovan one last chance to don his country’s colors before he retires from the game at the end of the year.

“For 15 years, Landon has thrilled us with his amazing abilities on the field and impressed us with his gracious approach off the field,” said US Soccer president Sunil Gulati to USsoccer.com. “We are looking forward to celebrating his legacy during our next home National Team match and allowing fans the opportunity to thank him for all the memories he’s provided over the years.”

Donovan announced earlier this month that 2014 will be the last of his decorated 15-year career in soccer, but there were lingering questions about whether or not he would appear one last time for the US before his retirement.

That game will apparently come in the Americans’ final home game of 2014 on Oct. 10 in Hartford, Conn., and after an about-face from both Donovan and Klinsmann that seemed unlikely earlier this summer.

Donovan, 32, was famously left off the US roster for the World Cup this summer, and then spoke out candidly in the days and weeks following Klinsmann’s decision. Despite telling media that he would always accept a call for the US squad, Donovan said he was disappointed by the decision and insisted he was still capable of battling for a spot in the starting lineup for the team in Brazil.

Donovan was also vocal with his criticisms of the US team’s preparedness from his post as an analyst for ESPN during the tournament, and later said he didn’t think the team had been set up to succeed in Brazil.

Tempers appear to have cooled since July, however, and Donovan even made light of his snub during commercial spots for the LA Galaxy’s club web site, EA Sports and Foot Locker.

And any previous issues between the two sides appear to be secondary to a proper sendoff for arguably the greatest player in US history. Donovan is the nation’s all-time leader in both goals (57) and assists (58), and his 156 career appearances are second all-time behind fellow LA Galaxy legend Cobi Jones (164).

"Playing for the US national team has been a huge part of my career and I'm ecstatic to have the opportunity to play for my country one last time,” Donovan said in US soccer's release. “I'm so grateful to all the fans that have supported me and this game will give me the chance to say thank you to all of them. I look forward to a great evening and I'm thankful to US Soccer for making this happen."

After a slow start to the 2014 MLS season – which may have been what cost him a spot with the World Cup team – Donovan has come alive since May, tallying six goals and adding six assists in his last 14 games. LA have climbed the Western Conference ladder in the process, and are second on points per game behind the Seattle Sounders.

Though the Ecuador match doesn’t directly conflict with the Galaxy’s schedule, Donovan will have short rest for what’s likely to be a crucial clash with fellow strivers FC Dallas on October 12.

Donovan’s most recent appearance with the US came as a second-half substitute during a 2-2 draw against Mexico in April in Glendale, Ariz., and he also started and tallied an assist in the team’s 2-0 win over South Korea in January.

The US will play the Czech Republic in Prague on Sept. 3. Klinsmann is expected to release the roster for that match later this week.

Actually thought he was going to retire.

Keeper position is fine, position I'm least worried about. Guzan is solid and there is good depth behind him

I think Guzan is on par with Howard and improving, if he has a good season and gold cup there's no reason to give the spot back to a 36 year old

Zelelam going to be a factor in 2018 ? I've never seen him play but just off pedigree I have high hopes.

Zelelam going to be a factor in 2018 ? I've never seen him play but just off pedigree I have high hopes.
Jk said he will step right into the national team months back, he will probably be on the roster for the gold cup. I've only seen clips, looks great..he is playing in u-20 World Cup which starts in a couple of weeks, hopefully I can catch a game. Barring some type of injury he will be on the 2018 squad, who knows the impact he will have. He should play in the Olympics next year if we qualify.

In other news Altidore is out 5-6 weeks with a hammy , should be back right before Gold cup, but won't be match fit.

agreed...imagine how ugly it would have been if the US took the entire game seriously

actually the thing is the US have always taken a lot of friendlies seriously.
Its a great mentality to have but lets not get carried away.

Can also say Mexico beat the Dutch 3-2 so does that mean they are also that damn good?

When it matters most that's how teams come out, you've seen it in Tournament style games.

A positive result but one that doesn't make them world beaters. Loads of work to do.

Good article if you are into someone breaking down a game. This writer is the best there is in US.

[h=1]Armchair Analyst: Energy surge, speed kills & more from the USMNT win over the Netherlands[/h]JUNE 5, 2015
Matthew Doyle
MLSsoccer.com

<iframe name="f9fcc4838" width="55px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/v2.0/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=123268204377180&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2F1ldYU13brY_.js%3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df26d80cd04%26domain%3Dwww.mlssoccer.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mlssoccer.com%252Fffdaddd44%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=48&font=arial&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fgoldcup%2F2015%2Fnews%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F05%2Farmchair-analyst-energy-surge-speed-kills-more-usmnt-win-over-netherlands&layout=box_count&locale=en_US&ref=s%3DshowShareBarUI%3Ap%3Dfacebook-like&sdk=joey&send=false&show_faces=false&width=55" class="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; width: 48px; float: none; border-radius: 0px; position: absolute; visibility: visible; height: 61px; background: none;"></iframe>

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.54460a335ba528591a034cfb509bdf51.en.html#_=1433599720696&count=vertical&dnt=false&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fgoldcup%2F2015%2Fnews%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F05%2Farmchair-analyst-energy-surge-speed-kills-more-usmnt-win-over-netherlands&related=mls&size=m&text=Armchair%20Analyst%3A%20Energy%20surge%2C%20speed%20kills%20%26%20more%20from%20the%20USMNT%20win%20over%20the%20Netherlands%20%23MLS&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fgoldcup%2F2015%2Fnews%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F05%2Farmchair-analyst-energy-surge-speed-kills-more-usmnt-win-over-netherlands" class="twitter-share-button twitter-tweet-button twitter-share-button twitter-count-vertical" title="Twitter Tweet Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; width: 56px; float: none; border-radius: 0px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; height: 59px; background: none;"></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1433599722552" name="I0_1433599722552" src="https://apis.google.com/se/0/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&size=tall&annotation=bubble&width=&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fgoldcup%2F2015%2Fnews%2Farticle%2F2015%2F06%2F05%2Farmchair-analyst-energy-surge-speed-kills-more-usmnt-win-over-netherlands&gsrc=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en_US.3ckIqd_Yp-c.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAGLTcCNypIU_Bk6r5aTZbqeY7ZrzfVusPg#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh%2Conload&id=I0_1433599722552&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com&pfname=&rpctoken=19183766" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; width: 50px; float: none; border-radius: 0px; font-size: 10px; position: static; top: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 60px; background: none;"></iframe>

Reddit

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; width: auto; float: none; border-radius: 0px; background: none;">
</tbody>

Email

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; width: auto; float: none; border-radius: 0px; background: none;">
</tbody>

Comments

</tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>

First thought about the USMNT's 4-3 win in Amsterdam over the Netherlands:
DX3gyU6.gif
Second thought: this was a wide, wide open game - it looked nothing like what we'll see out of CONCACAF teams in the Gold Cup next month. But that's 100 percent okay. A great result is a great result, and Jurgen Klinsmann has proved quite adept at getting great results in Euro friendlies over his four years in charge. This one was way more fun than the 1-0 win in Italy, and more promising/revealing in some important ways.
And as pointed out on Twitter: We've crushed Klinsmann for his team's penchant for giving up stupid, soft late goals (not just in friendlies - this happened in the World Cup). They reversed that trend today, and hopefully that's a sign of things to come.
Here's a few things:

[h=2]1. Dyson Sphere[/h]Here's the definition of a Dyson Sphere, taken from Wikipedia: A hypothetical megastructure that completely encompasses a star and hence captures most or all of its power output.
The USMNT's attack is a Dyson sphere, and Michael Bradley is the sun. Klinsmann has prodded and pulled his lineup apart, trying multiple formations, and all in the service of trying to maximize the potential offense generated by Bradley's ability to switch the field, play the final ball, or play the second-to-last ball. It's the best way to create attacking energy for a team that kind of lacks a pure, final third chance creator in the Landon Donovan or Tab Ramos mold.
You probably saw the two secondary assists Bradley picked up today. I don't have the stats for all-time USMNT secondary assists (I'm not even sure if it's something that's tracked), but I'd imagine he's right there with Donovan in the record books should it exist.
But there were other plays from Bradley that illustrate just how important he is, and just how good the US have become at harnessing all the energy he creates:
<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="420" mozallowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" src="http://streamable.com/e/fh19" webkitallowfullscreen="" style="width: 560px"></iframe>​
This wasn't just Bradley having a good game. This was Klinsmann putting the right pieces around him (true d-mid protection in Kyle Beckerman and Danny Williams; multiple runners up top and on the overlap) in a way that he didn't manage last year.
I'm still disappointed by our performance in Brazil, and always will be. But I was never on the#JurgenOut bandwagon – I always said he deserved to manage at least through the Gold Cup – because coaches, like players, can improve. They can learn. They can fix what's broken (or what they broke).
Klinsmann appears to have done something close to that. Bradley has free rein out there, and the Dutch had no way of containing him:
<iframe id="twitter-widget-3" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" title="Twitter Tweet" height="162" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;"></iframe>So let's give Klinsmann credit: He's harnessing the power of his best chance creator, which doubles as his team's best chance for success.

[h=2]2. Speed Kills[/h]Here's the tail end of said amazing run, including the finish by the much-maligned Bobby Wood:
<iframe id="twitter-widget-4" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" title="Twitter Tweet" height="470" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;"></iframe>I haven't really enjoyed watching Wood miss empty nets over the past nine months or so, the time during which he's been a regular part of Klinsmann's team. But he's one of those forwards who is always making the attack more dangerous because he's always, always putting pressure on the defense with his speed and the timing of his runs. I don't think he'll ever be a clinical scorer, but Josh Wolff wasn't a clinical finisher back in the day either, and he sure as hell played a significant role in some great moments for the US.
Wood's game is a lot like Wolff's. He pushes off the shoulder of the last defender, and makes a ton of inside-out runs to clear space for the second line of attack. At the same time he's strong enough on the ball to make plays inside the 18.
<iframe id="twitter-widget-5" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" title="Twitter Tweet" height="206" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;"></iframe>Ok fine, Leander's such a killjoy. But when Wood came on, it was 3-1 to the hosts. It finished 4-3, and I don't think it's because the guys in Oranje quit.
Wood and the rest of the subs – Mix Diskerud, DeAndre Yedlin, Jordan Morris and Danny Williams – all deserve a lot of credit. Diskerud played a little tighter to Bradley than Alfredo Morales had, while Wood, Yedlin, Morris and Williams stretched the game open with raw athleticism.
It may not work against everyone, but it worked today.

[h=2]3. The Big Worry[/h]The best US defender was the woodwork, and teams that consistently give up big shot numbers consistently lose games. This is maybe more dour than it needs to be...
<iframe id="twitter-widget-6" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" title="Twitter Tweet" height="206" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;"></iframe><iframe id="twitter-widget-7" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" title="Twitter Tweet" height="206" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; border-width: initial; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; display: block; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;"></iframe>But it's not wrong. Gyasi Zardes deserves a lot of credit for a great goal, and for always finding room to be dangerous, but his defensive IQ and work rate from the wing put Brek Shea under constant duress and asked a guy learning how to play left back to defend 1-v-2 for most of the first hour. Alfredo Morales was surprisingly slow in getting out to help.
Things weren't much better on the right-hand side, which included this lovely second half play when Timmy Chandler finally realized that life is an illusion and all effort is just futility screamed soundlessly into the abyss:
<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="420" mozallowfullscreen="" scrolling="no" src="http://streamable.com/e/5bg3" webkitallowfullscreen="" width="560" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"></iframe>​
None of the above absolves the central defenders from blame. John Brooks is 6-foot-4, but continues to play like he's 5-foot-8. Michael Orozco got beaten near post on one of the simplest runs a forward can make.
I have more sympathy for Ventura Alvarado, who doesn't have the amount of USMNT or first-team experience that the other two guys boast. But I don't think it's a coincidence he was the guy who came off at halftime.
So as usual there there a lot of caveats and qualifiers to a US performance. But this time, there was a ton to celebrate as well. The US attack is working again, and it's fun to watch again, and a win is a win.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.53db0107b4b6a3bad3794c3440f5809f.en.html#_=1433599720700&dnt=false&id=twitter-widget-1&lang=en&screen_name=MLSAnalyst&show_count=true&show_screen_name=true&size=m" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" title="Twitter Follow Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 225px; height: 19px;"></iframe>

the second Dutch goal was terrible defending.

Defense is still pretty bad, but Beslar and Gonzalez are probably our two best CBs and neither one of them are with the team these two friendlies.

Dutch could have had at least 3-4 more goals. Germany could put a number on USA, especially if the game is this open.

We are creating a bunch of chances, and that is really nice to see.

Last edited:
how good is this kid supposed to be?

that is a great question.

He isn't as technically sound as Green, but he is better than him in about everything else IMO. Plays with a lot of confidence

I wish he would go Pro, really hope he does after this college season.

Unfortunately, Green had a wasted year, which sucks for someone his age.

35 man Roster for Gold Cup...No Zelalem

GOALKEEPERS (4): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon), Bill Hamid (D.C. United)
DEFENDERS (12): John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Matt Besler (Sporting KC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Timothy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brek Shea (Orlando City), Michael Orozco (Puebla),DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Tim Ream (Bolton), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana)
MIDFIELDERS (12): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt 04), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
FORWARDS (7): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes),

basically what we will see next year for copa america right?

figured JK would want to give them as much time ahead as possible?

Probably, but I wonder what he will do with the elgible u23 guys like Yedlin, Morris, and Brooks. Are they going play in Copa and Olympics ( assuming we qualify). I guess they could with Copa in June and Olympics in August

if they are going to be good enough to start or be next up have to bring them to copa

its biggest tournament in US history IMO, especially if its a success and becomes an every 4 year thing

i think Canada might actually do it, just need semis to quality next year and watch Brazil or the Argies put up a 10 spot

Why hasn't England showed any interest in Carter-Vickers, couldn't he still play for them technically?

ya US got to him first and he seems loyal

A one-time switch would still be possible but America’s new star prospect stresses that he has never been in contact with England officials and feels embedded in the US setup at this point.
“I definitely feel more loyalties toward America right now,” Carter-Vickers said. “Through representing the country, I am seeing how passionate the players and fans are—it really makes me feel a part of the country. [On the field], I’ve really enjoyed it. You have to travel a lot and you get to go to a lot of different places but I think it’s helped to improve my football—going away, playing different styles.
“I think it always would be a tough decision but I like playing for America,” he continued. "Obviously, I would have to think long and hard about such a decision but at the moment I enjoy playing for America and I couldn’t see myself playing for England.”

so apparently Dempsey took a refs notebook in yesterdays US Open game vs Portland, and ripped it in half

according to US soccer rules, Dempsey is supposed to be suspended for 3 months.

That suspension would include the Gold Cup

Technically it is assault, but he never touched the referee so from what I read It doesn't sound like they would give him 3 months

Gold Cup Roster...You can switch out up to 6 ( i think) after the group stages from the provisional roster abov

GK
Brad Guzan

(Aston Villa)

GK
Nick Rimando

(Real Salt Lake)

GK
William Yarbrough

(Club Leon)

DEF
John Brooks

(Hertha BSC)

DEF
Ventura Alvarado

(Club America)

DEF
Omar Gonzalez

(LA Galaxy)

DEF
Timothy Chandler

(Eintracht Frankfurt)

DEF
Brad Evans

(Seattle Sounders)

DEF
Tim Ream

(Bolton)

DEF
Fabian Johnson

(Borussia Moenchengladbach)

MID
Michael Bradley

(Toronto FC)

MID
Alejandro Bedoya

(Nantes)

MID
Kyle Beckerman

(Real Salt Lake)

MID
Mix Diskerud

(New York City FC)

MID
Brad Davis

(Houston Dynamo)

MID
Alfredo Morales

(Ingolstadt 04)

MID
Gyasi Zardes

(LA Galaxy)

MID
DeAndre Yedlin

(Tottenham Hotspur)

MID
Graham Zusi

(Sporting KC)

FWD
Jozy Altidore

(Toronto FC)

FWD
Clint Dempsey

(Seattle Sounders)

FWD
Aron Johannsson

(AZ Alkmaar)

FWD
Chris Wondolowski

(San Jose Earthquakes)

That's an issue for sure

So is right back. I'm shocked Chandler starts for a bundelegsia team. He has been awful this tourney

USA in the the last "7" non friendly games( includes wc) has been outshot.

i think we have no scorers on the team
I think this is where MLS needs to start taking some heat for lack of player development. Just look at the top 10 in scoring: Wondo, Will Bruin, Clint Dempsey and that's it. I mean, it could just be that there's literally nothing in the talent pool, but when just about every team has imports as their top scoring options, kind of hard to develop any homegrown talent.

Where is Julian green?
He not improving?

it looks like he's clubless right now. I think we all kind of went hook line and sinker into the fact that this guy was playing for Bayern Munich. I think the USA has better down the pipeline. Zalalem is going to be good, I'm almost sure of it. He's already seen action for a world class team. Green basically got let go from a middling Bundesliga team

That's an issue for sure

So is right back. I'm shocked Chandler starts for a bundelegsia team. He has been awful this tourney

USA in the the last "7" non friendly games( includes wc) has been outshot.

yeah but I am optimistic about overall status of the back line. Brooks will be in that line up permanently. Carter-Vickers looks like he should be starting right now

I think this is where MLS needs to start taking some heat for lack of player development. Just look at the top 10 in scoring: Wondo, Will Bruin, Clint Dempsey and that's it. I mean, it could just be that there's literally nothing in the talent pool, but when just about every team has imports as their top scoring options, kind of hard to develop any homegrown talent.

they were way behind the times in this aspect, but it is starting to pick up. Some of the best young talent in this league and in our pool is from MLS academies

Back